Amalfi towns & Pompeii questions

Infi

We will be in Naples in July from 7am-7pm, and are planning on going with a private tour company. I would like to do Pompeii and the Amalfi coast drive (along with lunch) during the day, and based on my research here, this seems feasible and not too rushed. However, I have a few questions.

1. It seems like there are four main spots on the coast - Sorrento, Positano, Ravello, and Amalfi. I did a search and found posts where people listed their preferences for each town, but little specifics about each, so we're not sure where we want to spend our time. We like walking around markets and towns, and shopping is nice but not a necessity. We're more interested in experiencing the atmosphere of the place and some nice views. If I could get a short description of each, that would be great. Also, are any of the towns hilly? I have difficulty with stairs and steep inclines.

2. I'm worried about traffic. I know summer is much busier on the roads, and that it's popular to do Pompeii in the morning and Amalfi in the afternoon. Because I'm going with a private company (thinking RomeInLimo, if anyone has any specific driver recommendations for Naples, I'd love to hear them), should I be overly worried about this or should I just trust their judgment? Is the traffic bad enough to switch the order to Amalfi/morning and Pompeii/afternoon?

3. Is it worth it to arrange for a Pompeii guide with the private tour operator, or should I wait until we get to Pompeii? I thought I had read here that there were guides available at the site, but I could be mistaken. Are the guides there cheaper, and do they still offer a quality tour?

4. Any recommendations for lunch in any of the towns? Not interested in breaking the bank, but would like a non-touristy place with a nice view.

Thanks in advance for any information!

1) I find Sorrento a tad dull, but lots of other people love it. Be forewarned that Positano, Amalfi and Ravello are towns on the side of a cliff (less so Ravello) and are, therefore, quite steep and hilly. Ravello is a tad flatter, but there is still a significant hike up from the parking areas. There may be somewhere the driver can drop you, however, that's closer than where you park. In Amalfi you can walk around the area of the Duomo - it's relatively flat. There are a lot of steps up to church (I think - it's been several years since I visited the Duomo in Amalfi), but it's worth the climb.

2) Traffic will be bad, resign yourself to it and be glad you're not driving. The reason for going to Pompei in the morning is as much about heat as anything else. There is nothing there to shade the sun, and the heat is beastly. In July, even early in the morning, it will likely be well into the 80's or even low 90's, so you probably won't see as much of the site as you might like. You have to pace yourself (and drink lots of water).

3) I guess there's never a guarantee on the quality of a guide. There are plenty of them available at the site, but if you want to be sure, you can certainly have your limo company arrange one in advance.

Hi-We did this tour last Nov. with romeinlimo(we had Giovanni) and you should really trust their judgement. As someone said,in the summer, you should head to Pompeii first to get out of the midday heat. There is NO shade there whatsoever. As for guides, we booked ours through RIL and had Lucia. She was wonderful and because there were 8 of us, the cost of the guide(100E) was minimal.

Again, we trusted RIL's advice on where to go for lunch and we ended up at La Tagliata(they do have a website) and we were very pleased with everything. The views overlooking the sea are breathtaking and Mamma's homemade pasta is out of this world! The restaurant itself is in Positano at the top of the hill.

Enjoy your day! Shelly:)

We’d recommend having your private tour operator set up a licensed guide in advance for Pompeii. Ours made the area come alive for us.

We used AP Tours in 2007 (and will again this June) and they suggested that if the seas were calm, that we take the hydrofoil from Sorrento back to the cruise dock. They adjust their price by almost the cost of the ticket so it is very close to a wash, as we got some extra time there. (I still recall Alberto walking is to the end of the pier to make certain we boarded the correct ferry. :p )

The views along the coast are breathtaking. Enjoy.

I agree with pretty much all of the above.

The best advice is to hire one of the tour companies you find highly recommended on this website. They know what they are doing. Then trust them to know what you can and can't fit in during the time you will be there. Again, they know the area, the roads, the traffic etc.

Unfortunately, this area is all hills, steps and inclines. As posted - some areas better than others.

Here are my thoughts:

Pompeii - in the morning - spring for a private guide ! Too many ruins to figure out what is what and they will make the place live again for you.

Ravello - beautiful mountain views and sleepy quaint village. While we were in the main square the church bells began ringing - LOUDLY. Like resonating thru your whole body LOUD. It was one memory I will not forget. The folks reading their papers in the square, the dogs sleeping on the steps.... ahhhhhh

Amalfi - nice. Right by the sea. Big piazza with huge church steps. While we were there a wedding party came out the church doors. The bride in long flowing white dress, the groom looking uncomfortable in his tux. The Mom crying and smiling...... another really neat memory.

Positano - my favorite. Whats not to like ? Well, maybe all the steps and inclines. But we made it down to the beach and back up....... while on the beach I watched an artist paint the landscape it is known for...... another very cool memory.

Sorrento - only drove thru on our way to the ferry. Alberto (APTours) also was most accomodating - collecting our ferry money, buying our tickets and making sure we got on the right one !!!

Truly one of my most favorite favorite days !

Hope this helps.

PS: We all opted to do lunch on our own (4 couples sharing a tour) in Amalfi. Gave us more time to explore and add in all the places we wanted to see. A sit down lunch will eat up a big chunk of your time (no pun intended :D it just worked out that way) so you may want to think about that.

Agree with most of the above. Even when we vacation on the Amalfi Coast we simply consider Sorrento a large city that we only visit if we need to shop for something normal (they have cheap imported (China) clothes and this is where the locals go to buy their kids school clothes, etc etc). We might also stop in Sorrento if we are driving to or from the Amalfi Drive and want to stop for lunch or a drink. As to places with views, both Positano and Ravello are drop-dead gorgeous places.

Hank

Thank you so much, everyone, for all of the feedback. I really appreciate it. I will trust the judgment of the tour companies re: traffic and special thanks to Texancruzer, your overview of the towns was perfect. I did think of two more questions though:

Most said to get a Pompeii guide with the tour company. They seem so expensive - 110euros for a few hours and just for the two of us is awfully steep. Are the guides at the site any cheaper?

How long does the Amalfi drive take/how is it structured? I had been thinking the tours stop off in each town along the way, give you some time there, and then drive the whole way back, but now I'm seeing people who have taken ferries back from Sorrento. I'd rather not complicate matters any more than necessary with an added ferry trip, so will we just be driven back? Or is the ferry more to avoid traffic than anything else?

Thanks so much again - you've all been so helpful. :)

Most said to get a Pompeii guide with the tour company. They seem so expensive - 110euros for a few hours and just for the two of us is awfully steep. Are the guides at the site any cheaper?

Suggest you use your roll call to find others and share the cost.

Thank you so much, everyone, for all of the feedback. I really appreciate it. I will trust the judgment of the tour companies re: traffic and special thanks to Texancruzer, your overview of the towns was perfect. I did think of two more questions though:

How long does the Amalfi drive take/how is it structured? I had been thinking the tours stop off in each town along the way, give you some time there, and then drive the whole way back, but now I'm seeing people who have taken ferries back from Sorrento. I'd rather not complicate matters any more than necessary with an added ferry trip, so will we just be driven back? Or is the ferry more to avoid traffic than anything else?

Much of the Amalfi Drive time is dependent on traffic. Remember, it is a 2 lane road with very few passing zones so things go as fast as the slowest truck or bus. We generally figure on about 45 min one-way from Sorrento to Positano and another 35 min if you want to go to Amalfi. From Amafli to Revello takes about 20 min although this also varies with traffic (parts of the route on single lane where you must wait at a light for more then 5 min for traffic coming the other direction). As to ferries from Sorrento, if the boat schedule fits your schedule then fine...but those boats do not run as often as one would expect. The professional drivers know the roads and traffic patterns and will usually take the best routes. If you are being driven all the way to Revello it is possible to use some back roads to get up the A3 (large Autostrade) which makes the drive back to Naples pretty fast without any traffic issues until you get into Naples.

Hank

You're very welcome. As you can see this is a magical place !

Guides: There are almost always guides out in front of Pompeii entrance looking for customers. They will usually form a group of 10 or so charging 10 euros per person. Have heard this can sometimes take 1/2 hour or so before they get enough people. My thoughts are you should be fine as far as getting a fairly good guide - be sure to see his badge ( should be licensed by Italian govt.) but you never know how good or bad. Our guide was booked by APTours ahead and she was really good. We split the cost of expenses between the four couples (8 people) from our roll call. Join your roll call and tour share !!!!! Alot of people don't want to do this thinking the group will be "joined at the hip" the whole day. NOT SO. In each village we went our seperate ways and met back at the designated location at the set time. Worked great !

We all voted to take the ferry back since this would save us driving time and allow more time for each village. They will always give you the option to drive back.....just takes longer therfore taking away time from Positano, Amalfi, etc etc.... Note: It was a nice end to the day of driving..... we saw the coastline from the sea fairly close. Think it was like 11 euros for both of us. And since we were there very late Nov. the sun sets earlier so we got to see that from the water also. The ferry dropped us off literally right next to our ship too !

First, I'm not interested in tour sharing with the roll call. I'd rather not be cramped in a van with others, a private car is preferable to me. I'm fine with that cost, but the added tour guide cost is pretty pricey for two.

Thanks again, Hank and Texancruzer, your explanations were exactly what I was looking for! You two are great. Now I understand so much better how the Amalfi coast driving will go, and the reason for the ferries. In that case, if taking the ferry back allows you to spend more time in the towns, I think it's worth it. I'm glad that there are tour guides available at Pompeii - 10euros pp definitely seems more reasonable. I think we'll go with that option. Thanks so much again! :)

Infi:

I used Rome in Limo last October and we had a wonderful driver, Rafaele. He had a lovely signing voice. We went to the smaller Herculaneum and even there, it was the guide that RIL hired that made the visit far more interesting and worthwhile. RIL is known for having not only excellent drivers (who are very familiar with their terrain and able to adjust based on traffic conditions, etc.) but also for the outstanding guides they routinely use at various sites. I think you'll find that by emailing Jany at RIL, many of your questions/concerns will be answered promptly.

You mentioned that you did not want to expand your group lest you be cramped in a van, but I have a few thoughts on that you may or may not choose to consider. I am a solo cruiser and hired RIL for myself. But I specifically hired a van in this port and then got people on my Roll Call to join. I often don't fill a van completely on a tour and leave a seat so all have a window, more room, etc. If you look at RIL's prices, you may find that the cost share is still cheaper even if van is not full than your ship's tour. It was for me. I got the van deliberately because I wanted to ride higher up for a better view on the Amalfi Drive! The views over the edge are pretty spectacular.

We loved Positano. And thanks to others' descriptions on this thread, I'll definately get to Ravello if I'm able to go again.

Have fun planning your trip, you will love the Amalfi Coast.

Martha

• 1 month later...

Infi-

We just returned from a 12-day sailing on Oceania's Insignia from Marseilles to Venice. In Sorrento, we booked a private tour for the Amalfi Coast with visits to Positano, Amalfi Town and Ravello, which we shared with another couple. Our driver/guide was Giovanni Lerusce (www.positanocardrivers.com), and we could not have had a better experience. He was wonderful, his van was comfortable, and his commentary was great. It's an area not to be missed. The restaurant he selected for lunch near Ravello (named S Giovanni, coincidentally) was in a spectacular setting with an incredible view of the coast, and most important, the meal was one of the best of our entire trip. I understand he does other drives, including Naples and Pompeii, but we didn't have time to explore these sites. We did a 7-hour tour, and adding on Pompeii to the Almafi Coast drive would be a bit rushed, if possible at all, especially if your ship is anchored and you have to tender to Sorrento and back. If you're looking for a tour of this area, Giovanni is certainly one driver you should consider.

We just returned and used Rome in Limo in Florence, Rome and Naples. In Naples we had three 8 passenger Mercedes vans in which there were 21 of us (7 per van, 8 would be tight). Our drivers were Rafael, his son Tony and Uncle Giovanni. They were all wearing suits and ties and looked and acted very professional, yet they were also a lot of fun. We also did Pompeii last when the crowds had gone and the guide provided by Rome in Limo was very good. Positano was my favorite town (Tied with Oia on Santorini) of this cruise, but it is built into the hill and requires a bit of walking down to the beach and then back up the hill. It's not too bad if you go the correct way, but there are a lot of stairs the other way. Ask a local, they are friendly and helpful.

The tour companies that I have corresponded with suggest, even insist that Pompeii being done AT THE END of an Amalfi coast run to make sure they don't miss the cruise ship.

Has anyone found this to be the case?

As I posted above - the tour companies know their area, the traffic and crowds in reference to timing.

You are going in July....... peak season. Very crowded. Wait until you see the traffic on those small roads :eek:

When we DIY we always follow one rule: always head to the furthest point first and work your way back towards the ship. Just makes sense.

Now, that said, we went the very very end of November and we did Pompeii first, then Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and ended in Sorrento where we took the ferry back to Naples. Worked out perfect for us. BUT - there was no traffic, no crowds and no worries about getting back in time. Our driver even made sure we got on the right ferry since he bought our tickets for us and showed us to the boat :D

Trust your tour co. - they know their stuff.

We just did this trip last Sunday. We went with Celebrity's shore excursion and it was 9.5 hours for $157. We thought it was well worth it because we did Pompeii in the morning - thank goodness because it was really HOT that day! Then we took a motor launch from Salerno to the Amalfi Coast. We were able to get off the boat and walk around. It was a wonderful way to see the coast line! It was absolutely beautiful. I would recommend doing it that way instead of driving it.

As I posted above - the tour companies know their area, the traffic and crowds in reference to timing.

You are going in July....... peak season. Very crowded. Wait until you see the traffic on those small roads :eek:

When we DIY we always follow one rule: always head to the furthest point first and work your way back towards the ship. Just makes sense.

Now, that said, we went the very very end of November and we did Pompeii first, then Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and ended in Sorrento where we took the ferry back to Naples. Worked out perfect for us. BUT - there was no traffic, no crowds and no worries about getting back in time. Our driver even made sure we got on the right ferry since he bought our tickets for us and showed us to the boat :D

Trust your tour co. - they know their stuff.

Do you remember what your travel time was from Pompeii up to Ravello and then to Amalfi and Positano? We're trying to figure out what we can reasonably fit in on a short day in mid-October starting with a driver pickup between 11:30-12 (our ship arrives in Sorrento at around 11am) and starting with Pompeii and then heading over to the Amalfi coast. We're just trying to figure out how much can reasonably be fit in since we won't even get to Pompii until maybe around 1pm. If we stay a couple of hours, I don't think we can make it up to Ravello and even wonder about making it to Amalfi. So it may just be Pompeii, Positano and back to Sorrento. The good news is the ship is in Sorrento overnight. What do you think?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

From my best memory here we go.......

Pickup at ship in Naples and at Pompeii by 9 am (opening). Approximately 2.5 hrs at Pompeii. Then to Ravello for @45 minutes on our own. Then down to Amalfi for @1.5 hrs on our own (find our own lunch) then to Positano for @ 1 hr. on our own. Then to Sorrento where we went straight to the ferry dock.....ferry back to Naples (@ 40 minutes) and reboard ship. We did stop a few times in between. For photos and once at a wonderful ceramics store across from the Emerald Grotto on the coast road. Don't really remember exact driving times but each leg seemed fairly short. This whole area is not that large and distances are not that far - but the road is narrow and twisty and winding and that adds time.

One thing that helps is your ship overnights - you won't get left. But on the other hand it will get dark in October earlier than in the summer. Another tip: get a map of the area online...... try not to backtrack.

I have posted before - ask your tour company what you can fit in. They know best. Hope this helps.

I think there is not enough time to see all of it in that area. Having been to Italy 4 times, we have seen all of that area, some places more than once. If you go to Pompeii, MUST see it in the morning, it gets beastly hot and dusty later in the day. Positaino is my favorite, we stayed there 4 days and rented a boat and did the coast.

Also Capri is a must! So you just need to decide which mode of transport you want to take, you cannot see it all, but you will want to go back!!!

ENJOY!!:D:D

Just wanted to say thanks for the additional info and replies. I was surprised to see this thread bumped up again! We ended up booking with RIL and will be visiting Pompeii and Amalfi coast next month. They advised to try for Sorrento and Positano, so I will take their word for it. If we can squeeze in another town, great, if not, oh well! There's always another time. I'll make sure to update on how it went when I get back.

• 2 weeks later...
We just did this trip last Sunday. We went with Celebrity's shore excursion and it was 9.5 hours for $157. We thought it was well worth it because we did Pompeii in the morning - thank goodness because it was really HOT that day! Then we took a motor launch from Salerno to the Amalfi Coast. We were able to get off the boat and walk around. It was a wonderful way to see the coast line! It was absolutely beautiful. I would recommend doing it that way instead of driving it.

I am doing the Constellation this fall-I saw Celebrity has a tour to Pompeii, Amalfi and Capri..do you think that is too much to do in a day? I am glad you liked the tour as I am traveling solo so a taxi etc would be way too expensive. Also, I want to see a lot and not be worried about missing connections or the ship.

I was on a different ship but did this very same ship's tour. Pompeii in morning when cooler and then because we were on the water the hottest part of the day - cooler on the moving boat. Can't remember how much but lunch was not included.

Archived