Champagne Catamaran Sail-St. Thomas

gonna go cruising

Has anyone done this excursion that would have photos of how close to the shore you anchor? My daughter is a bit hesitant to do the excursion not knowing how deep she will be getting in the water from the boat. I would like to get more information on it and the best place seems to be here from those who have done the excursions before.

Is this a good excursion to take? Thanks!

We are looking at the half day one. The morning one. Do you have any advice for us? Is it extremely deep where you snorkel? I know that as long as you have your vest on, you are fine, but she is hesitant to snorkel in deep water. Thanks.

I thought the morning one would be best so we still have time to do some shopping.

One thing to keep in mind is that the half day trip and the full day trip (at least for us when we took these two excursions) will mean that one is likely to be a very small catamaran while the other (the full day) will be a larger boat.

The water for snorkeling was definitely deep water, this is not a beach snorkel, although you do have the option of going to a beach and I guess you could snorkel off the beach, there just wouldn't be much to see underwater there.

We didn't enjoy the half day trip anywhere near as much as the full day trip. Just too rushed and the Cat was way too small for our liking. Jump in, jump out type of snorkel tour.

If your main intent is to snorkel, it is a good idea to have some experience. The snorkeling spot at Honeymoon Beach on St. Thomas can be subject to strong currents and you have to be very careful not to get pushed into the coral. The water is about 8-10 feet deep, with coral heads rising up within a couple feet of the surface.

We have taken the all-day sailing twice. Both times, it was a great trip.

Very good point Rob, I had totally forgotten about the strong currents at Honeymoon beach. Jumped in on one excursion without fins...........HUGE mistake, they picked me up all the way down the beach. Very vicious currents there, but with fins, not that hard to navigate.

Thanks for all of your input here. Being that we are not very experienced at it, maybe we best just go shopping! I certainly am not a very strong swimmer but have snorkeled before, but the currents do make me a bit leary about it.

It isnt out of the question yet, but you all have provided great info. Is there any place to snorkel on your own that is more of a safe haven?

Also any ideas how Magans beach is? Worth an excursion to go there or just find it on our own?

gonna go cruising-don't give up yet. snorkeling in St Thomas or St Johns will be one of the highlights of the trip.

I recently went on the 1/2 day with Princess. Weather was rough that day so we snorkeled at St James. The water was deep, but calm and no danger of hitting coral. The tour was ok, but I know now there is better.

In May I want to go again but this time am taking an excursion with one of the indepenadant operators, which I think is the best way to go. For example I have booked with High Pockets, and they only take 6 passengers. I read that the mate will help those who don't know how to snorkel and they will custom tailor your tour even.

Go to the ports of call boards St Thomas/St John and read about these tours or go to their websites. Others reccomended include Jester, Alaunt, Winifred, and Fantasy to name a few.

It will be an experience of a life time please don't miss out. The floats are very safe and you can always buddy up for safety.

Good luck with your choice!!

With the currents as strong as they are, I wouldn't actually call this a beginners snorkeling excursion. But there are vests and float thingies, so that might be the way to go. It really is a great excursion, just be careful of the strong currents and don't worry, they are watching for you if you should run into problems.

Archived