Pre-Cruise Theatre Help in London

Samantha94

I did not use a London pass but Oyster cards for the metro are a big help.

Use Rick Steves book - his walking tours are very well done and you will see all the highlights. He also explains the transportation system and has some decent places to eat.

It is super easy to get around and the hotel is 2 minutes from Victoria station so you can get just about any where. As you have a limited time and lots to see you can always grab a cab on the street to expidite your time ( we had a cab take 4 of use from the hotel to Abbey Road to take a photo and it was 15 pounds and very quick - for 4 people it was a deal.)

If you are wanting a rest from walking we have taken a little boat through Regents park....delightful.

If the Palace is not open when you are there you can still see the Queen's Gallery and her carriages and of course Changing of the Guard. Enjoy.

The state rooms in the palace open on July 27th so you will miss them this trip. Maybe next time, as they are well worth it.

Be sure to walk around Covent Garden and if you have time the transport museum is interesting. Also the church where Henry Higgins stood. Designed by Wren and has many memorials to theater people.

We took the boat one way to Kew Gardens and then took the tube back. Well worth it if you like to see a little bit of gardens and a narrated trip on the river.

Taking the tube out to Hamstead Heath is also interesting and a fun place to walk around a bit, Especially on the week end when everyone is out at the pubs.

Did you happen to use one of the London Pass deals? We've read about it, but not sure if it is worth the $$ or not???

Samantha

We found the London Pass (with the transportation option) to be well worth it. We used it for 2 visits in 2008 and 2009 - not this year though as we're only there one day and have seen most of what's on it...:) We didn't spend tons of time in any one place so we definitely got our money's worth. Had we paid full admission at each place, we might have felt obligated to stay longer so we think we got to see more with the prepaid London Pass.

The transportation passes were great, IMO. Went everywhere with ease on the tube, DLR, and trains as well as the Thames riverboats. We'll probably buy them for this trip as well.

PKamison:

Not sure what "oyster cards" are, but am assuming that it is some sort of pre-paid credit card to make entrance to the metro fast; will check it out and also Rick Steves book. Thanks!

Samantha

I did not use a London pass but Oyster cards for the metro are a big help.

Use Rick Steves book - his walking tours are very well done and you will see all the highlights. He also explains the transportation system and has some decent places to eat.

It is super easy to get around and the hotel is 2 minutes from Victoria station so you can get just about any where. As you have a limited time and lots to see you can always grab a cab on the street to expidite your time ( we had a cab take 4 of use from the hotel to Abbey Road to take a photo and it was 15 pounds and very quick - for 4 people it was a deal.)

If you are wanting a rest from walking we have taken a little boat through Regents park....delightful.

If the Palace is not open when you are there you can still see the Queen's Gallery and her carriages and of course Changing of the Guard. Enjoy.

jpalbny: Did you purchase the London Pass while in the States or wait until you were in London? It sounds like a good way to go with the transportation option attached. Will check out the oyster cards that another traveler has recommended as well. Appreciate the help!

Samantha

We found the London Pass (with the transportation option) to be well worth it. We used it for 2 visits in 2008 and 2009 - not this year though as we're only there one day and have seen most of what's on it...:) We didn't spend tons of time in any one place so we definitely got our money's worth. Had we paid full admission at each place, we might have felt obligated to stay longer so we think we got to see more with the prepaid London Pass.

The transportation passes were great, IMO. Went everywhere with ease on the tube, DLR, and trains as well as the Thames riverboats. We'll probably buy them for this trip as well.

RetiredFL: I'm bummed that the Palace will be closed! After your comment, I did check to confirm and there is nothing until August 2010. But, still there is much to see in London :) - Thank you!

Samantha

The state rooms in the palace open on July 27th so you will miss them this trip. Maybe next time, as they are well worth it.

Be sure to walk around Covent Garden and if you have time the transport museum is interesting. Also the church where Henry Higgins stood. Designed by Wren and has many memorials to theater people.

We took the boat one way to Kew Gardens and then took the tube back. Well worth it if you like to see a little bit of gardens and a narrated trip on the river.

Taking the tube out to Hamstead Heath is also interesting and a fun place to walk around a bit, Especially on the week end when everyone is out at the pubs.

Thank you - I did confirm and it will be closed while we are there - do appreciate your help though!

Samantha

It is not very likely (though possible) that Buckingham Palace will be open to visitors in June. It opens when the Royal Family leaves for their summer residence in Balmoral Castle (usually at the end of July); but do check, just to make sure (the tours book VERY quickly)

jpalbny: Did you purchase the London Pass while in the States or wait until you were in London?...

Will check out the oyster cards that another traveler has recommended as well. Appreciate the help!

Samantha

We bought the London Passes online before we left; Chris found a discount code somewhere (try googling it) and that got us an additional 10% off or so. We had them shipped to our home.

I've never used the Oyster card; my understanding is that you buy it and "fill" it with a certain amount of money, then use it a la carte to buy single fares at a discounted rate. You can refill it at ticket machines, I think. For us, we used public transportation so many different times that paying for each ride individually with the Oyster card would have been a more expensive option. You have to guess how many times you'd use the tube and see if the day pass is worth it.

The transportation pass comes in a full version and an off-peak version; the off-peak version is significantly cheaper but you can't use it weekdays before 9:30 AM. That was perfectly fine with us - because we were based at 41, we'd make our first attraction of the day something within walking distance, then just start using the transportation pass afterwards. Also, the off-peak pass is good all day Sat/Sun - so if your stay includes a weekend, you basically get the benefits of the expensive pass for the lower price :) But you sail 6/30 and your 3-day stay means you're arriving Sunday 6/27 - so you probably can't take advantage of that trick...

I'd recommend seeing "Blood Brothers" for a musical theatre experience that you won't get in the States. It has been running in the West End for 25 years, but only ran on Broadway for about a year before it closed--proof positive that this show will be different from something that caters to American tastes. I think one of the Spice Girls is playing the lead now, but don't let that dissuade you--it is an excellent show.

Or, if you want to beat the American pop culture crowds to the punch, spend boatloads of money through a ticket broker and get tickets to the sequel to Phantom of the Opera, if you're a fan.

FWIW, I wouldn't spend my valuable vacation time in line at TKTS. I'll do it in NYC, but I'd want every spare minute in London for myself and would rather pay full price to free up my day.

I believe the Oyster Card has a daily limit as to how much is deducted. You put on a minimum of 20 pounds, I believe and then as you use it the charge is deducted. If you goggle London Oyster Card you can get to the official site and all is explained.

One word of caution. DO NOT buy it in advance through Rail Europe or any other US supplier. Their charges almost triple the cost. You can buy it everywhere in London.

JP & Chris,

Thanks - I'll pick up the London Pass tickets now and think the transportation option is good to add - will check out which (full or off-peak) will work best for us. Your strategy for finding an attraction close to the hotel early morning is good thus saving $$ on the pass. Appreciate all the thoughts! Happy cruising!

Samantha

Thank you -

I believe the Oyster Card has a daily limit as to how much is deducted. You put on a minimum of 20 pounds, I believe and then as you use it the charge is deducted. If you goggle London Oyster Card you can get to the official site and all is explained.

One word of caution. DO NOT buy it in advance through Rail Europe or any other US supplier. Their charges almost triple the cost. You can buy it everywhere in London.

The sequel to Phantom of the Opera, called Love Never Dies, is in serious creative trouble. They have postponed opening on Broadway for a while in order to make improvements. Personally, I would not see that show at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, we loved Phantom of the Opera and would have loved to see the sequel in London of all places! But, do appreciate hearing about this as I am sure it would have been quite pricey for that show. We will wait! Thanks! Samantha

The sequel to Phantom of the Opera, called Love Never Dies, is in serious creative trouble. They have postponed opening on Broadway for a while in order to make improvements. Personally, I would not see that show at this point.

Archived