Underwater at Half Moon Cay/Noordam Apr. 2010

localady

Hello to all my CC cruise buddies!

I have just returned from another wonderful cruise, this time aboard the Noordam.

We found the service to be exceptional as always, the food quality wonderful, and the disembarkation flawless. Lesser marks for the embarkation which was not pleasant due to computer problems.

Beverage Manager Hans Becker ensured we had a lovely CC get together on our second sea day.

I wanted to share our pictures from Half Moon Cay. I was thrilled to see the variety of fish as well coral continuing to establish itself on the rocks and artificial reefs they planted. Here is a link to them, you don't need to be a Facebook member to view them.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=59229&id=1324271345&l=093e3db8ad

These were taken with an inexpensive underwater digital camera. I don't claim to be a photographer just a lover of the under the sea world.

Wonderful pictures! Thanks for much for posting and providing the link! It was too cold to get in the water at HMC in December 09 on our Statendam cruise. However, seeing your pictures shows we have a lot to look forward to next HAL cruise.:) We always take our snorkel gear.

Super pictures! Did you take these at the designated snorkeling area, on the tour boat, or someplace else?

Marnie- The photos were taken near the "Oasis" in the designated swimming area generally, and the reef balls have the "floating play animals" attached.

I wish HAL would extend the allowable swim area out a bit farther in that area, I am sure there is more great snorkeling and wouldn't endanger anyone.

Marnie-

Yes they do.

Not to say I am one to not push the boundaries :eek: ;)

Great Pictures !

If you plan to go to Half Moon Cay in the future their is a much better snorkel site only a 3 minute walk from the dock. It is not supervised but there are always several passengers snorkeling. Last December on the Eurodam I saw many tropical fish, stringrays and nurse sharks. Let me know if you would like directions to the snorkel site.

Let me know if you would like directions to the snorkel site.

G&G. I usually snorkel from the beach area and swim over to the rocks on the far left side of the beach, so that the ship is in front of that area. Is it another area you snorkel at?

Great pictures, Sher.

Please post directions to the snorkeling spots. I wasn't going to take our snorkel gear to HMC. We'll be there Sat. :) However, now I will. I would like to visit all the good spots! Thanks.

Before posting directions to the snorkel site please be aware that you need to be an average to above average snorkeler, you will need a buddy to snorkel with and the area is not supervised by HAL.

Once you get off the tender at the dock at HMC proceed towards the entrance arches to HMC. Prior to going through the arches take a right and walk towards a small house. You will see a sign that says "authorized personnel only" and a asphalt path to the left of the sign and a sandy path into the mangroves to the right. Take the sandy path through the mangrove up a hill; approx 20 yards. When you get to the top of the hill you will see a beach (500 yards long). You will note that it is rocky and you need to be careful walking down to the beach. Most of the beach & water has rocks and coral. There is a 20 feet wide section of sandy bottom near the rip rap jetty that you can get into the water without walking on rocks. Swim from the beach 50 feet along the jetty ( a lot of tropical fish). Once you get out from the beach swim parallel to the beach between the rocky & sandy bottom. I first snorkeled at this site 2 years ago. There was nothing on the beach. This past December 2009 someone had brought lounge chairs and two clamshells to the beach. Hopefully it is still there.

Good luck !

We'll try out this spot and the others mentioned. We'll let you know how it was when we get back. We always snorkel together, and have snorkeled all over the Caribbean and French Polynesia. I know my limits and don't take risks. No fish is worth taking unnecessary risks to see! So, we will be careful. ;)

We'll try out this spot and the others mentioned. We'll let you know how it was when we get back. We always snorkel together, and have snorkeled all over the Caribbean and French Polynesia. I know my limits and don't take risks. No fish is worth taking unnecessary risks to see! So, we will be careful. ;)

Good luck !

We just got back from French Polynesia on a HAL cruise. The snorkeling was unbelievable !!!

Beautifil, they sure beat mine i took at Barbados, of course that day it was raining while we were snorkling and then the sun came out when we went to the beach for a swim. I also only had a throwaway water camera. Next time i'll try snorkeling at HMC. Thanks for shareing. HPF

I've never noticed; do they actually enforce the swimming boundaries?

DH and I were having a grand time snorkeling . . . first in the undesignated area (good sightings), then in the authorized area. We didn't find much to look at there (Feb 10) so went under the rope to see what was further out. Next thing we knew, a life guard was paddling a canoe out to shoo us back to where we belonged. Ahhhh . . . we almost felt like jailbirds. Too bad there isn't better snorkeling. Maybe there's hope for future years . . .

Too bad there isn't better snorkeling. Maybe there's hope for future years . . .

Did you see my earlier posts. There is excellent snorkeling at Half Moon Cay on the other side of the island (three minute walk from tender dock)

Hello to all my CC cruise buddies!

I have just returned from another wonderful cruise, this time aboard the Noordam.

We found the service to be exceptional as always, the food quality wonderful, and the disembarkation flawless. Lesser marks for the embarkation which was not pleasant due to computer problems.

Beverage Manager Hans Becker ensured we had a lovely CC get together on our second sea day.

I wanted to share our pictures from Half Moon Cay. I was thrilled to see the variety of fish as well coral continuing to establish itself on the rocks and artificial reefs they planted. Here is a link to them, you don't need to be a Facebook member to view them.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=59229&id=1324271345&l=093e3db8ad

These were taken with an inexpensive underwater digital camera. I don't claim to be a photographer just a lover of the under the sea world.

Wonderful photos, local lady!

I arranged both M & G's on our two b2b's this February on the Noordam, and the Beverage Manager's name was Andre...so he must have left the ship. Glad Hans did a good job for you!

Great Pictures !

If you plan to go to Half Moon Cay in the future their is a much better snorkel site only a 3 minute walk from the dock. It is not supervised but there are always several passengers snorkeling. Last December on the Eurodam I saw many tropical fish, stringrays and nurse sharks. Let me know if you would like directions to the snorkel site.

I will have to check that out the next time we visit HMC. Had not heard of the area. Thanks!

Archived