Zuiderdam – Panama Canal – April 10th

KP&BP

My husband and I flew to Fort Lauderdale on 4/9 and stayed overnight at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th Avenue. The hotel provided shuttle service from the airport and picked us up within 20 minutes of calling them. The hotel is nice- small, no pool, but the staff is helpful and friendly, free continental breakfast and the city shuttle (.50 per person/ride) picks up right out front every half hour. We took the shuttle to the beach for the afternoon and it was very nice – lots of restaurants, shops, nice sidewalks for strolling and we watched several departing cruise ships leave the harbor around 5:00. Very clear view from the beach of the ships. We ate two meals on Friday; both of them in the Publix grocery eat-in deli! We spent nearly nothing for what we ate and it was delicious, there was a secluded seating area and it was so fun. The Publix is in a Harbor Shop area within a short walking distance from Holiday Inn. There is also a huge wine store next to Publix and I purchased a 3 liter box of wine for $8.99. I was able to pack this box in my carry on with no concern over breakage and I used this wine the whole cruise and had leftover which I left on the ship.

The Holiday Inn does not provide transportation to the port. They allow a service to come in and sign people up for $18 per person. We did sign up for a ride along with seven other couples going on assorted cruise ships. This worked out ok – it was fun waiting with everyone and discussing different cruises. There were 8 ships in port on this day and we were the first one out – the Oasis of the Seas was right behind us and what a sight that is!

We did not have to wait to register at the terminal – no lines. Checked in quickly and boarded the ship. Since we are Mariners, we went right to the dining room for the Mariner Lunch. We had one carry on which the waiter placed discreetly out of the way and seated us with two other couples. We had a very nice lunch – I much preferred this to jostling with folks in the Lido. We had to give our room number to the door man but I think anyone could have participated. We finished lunch and toured around a bit as the rooms had not yet been opened. We have sailed on the Zuiderdam before it underwent the changes so were anxious to look around.

The weather was perfect all 10 days of this trip – sunny, no rain and calm seas. We had open seating for the first time and after trying it out – it is not so bad! We like to eat early and went to the dining room close to 5:00 and were always able to get a table for two if we wanted it. One night we didn’t mention it and sat with another couple and it worked out fine.

We enjoyed all the ports and took Holland sponsored excursions in all of them. We viewed the locks from the observation area but the ship did open the bow which allowed good viewing also. I especially enjoyed Costa Rica and the tour of the banana plantation. Part of this excursion involved a train ride and while boarding, several young children from the neighborhood got on the train and begged for money. They were well dressed and appeared clean and well fed – I don’t think they got much if anything before being asked to leave.

The entertainment was excellent, Island Magic steel drum band, a magician with a darling dog who took part in the act and others – all very good. We went to the Screening Room for a few movies at night – be sure to take a cover, blanket, coat – something! It is freezing so bad and the air never stops!

We had a Superior Verandah stateroom on the Navigation deck and this was the best stateroom we have ever had. It is just enough extra room over the regular verandah to allow breathing room for a 10 day trip. There was so much storage we didn’t even use it all. If the budget will allow, look into this category. You will be pleased – excellent verandah – two chairs each with ottomans, a table and two other chairs.

The only thing that went wrong happened after we left the ship on the way to the airport. If you recall earlier in this review, I mentioned that we hired a service to take us to the port and we purchased a return trip to the airport. We used early self-debarkation and were able to be at the curb around 8:30 and our ride was there. They use a van and tow a small enclosed trailer behind with the luggage. We left the port and had gone some distance all the while hearing a lot of rattling noise from the trailer. The driver pulled over and told us he just wanted to check in the back. Upon his return, he advised us that “we” seemed to have lost a bag somewhere…..we only had three of the original four that he loaded. Quickly he turned around retracing our way back to the port – looking for our black duffle bag. The driver received a phone call regarding our luggage – apparently another driver saw what happened and called the owner of the service. We drove all the way back to the port – only to see our duffle bag in the middle of the two lane highway coming out of the port – and surrounded by police and a fire truck! The port traffic had been stopped! An abandoned bag of that type is immediately assumed to be a danger until proven otherwise. Our driver pleaded with the policeman to just let him retrieve his customer’s bag as it had fallen out of the trailer due to a faulty closing device. The policeman was more than glad to let him have it and get the port traffic rolling again! Just glad we didn’t make the news!

So – we had a great time and would recommend Holland America for anyone interested in cruising. Any questions, happy to answer.

Enjoyed your review.:) We sail on the Zuiderdam in Sept , have sailed on her in the past and you are so right that a Superior Verandah Suite is great value for the money.

I know the" round" trip to the port was a tad stressful :D but you have to admit it makes for an interesting cruise story.

Thanks again for posting,.....also glad you didn't make the news :)

• 2 weeks later...

Did you happen to get the CD for the group? Unfortunately we waited until they were off the ship and the store was sold out. The group mentioned that on the back of the cd they listed their website. I found one through google but I can't quite believe its the right one. Thanks!

[

The only thing that went wrong happened after we left the ship on the way to the airport. If you recall earlier in this review, I mentioned that we hired a service to take us to the port and we purchased a return trip to the airport. We used early self-debarkation and were able to be at the curb around 8:30 and our ride was there. They use a van and tow a small enclosed trailer behind with the luggage. We left the port and had gone some distance all the while hearing a lot of rattling noise from the trailer. The driver pulled over and told us he just wanted to check in the back. Upon his return, he advised us that “we” seemed to have lost a bag somewhere…..we only had three of the original four that he loaded. Quickly he turned around retracing our way back to the port – looking for our black duffle bag. The driver received a phone call regarding our luggage – apparently another driver saw what happened and called the owner of the service. We drove all the way back to the port – only to see our duffle bag in the middle of the two lane highway coming out of the port – and surrounded by police and a fire truck! The port traffic had been stopped! An abandoned bag of that type is immediately assumed to be a danger until proven otherwise. Our driver pleaded with the policeman to just let him retrieve his customer’s bag as it had fallen out of the trailer due to a faulty closing device. The policeman was more than glad to let him have it and get the port traffic rolling again! Just glad we didn’t make the news!

[/font]

Oh my!!! I suspect that you all let out a huge sigh of relief when the officers handed the bag over and let everyone proceed. Otherwise it would have surely been wall-to-wall coverage similar to the situation with the cooler filed with books and water in Times Square the other day.:eek:

I realize why they had to be cautious about a stray bag in the port area though.

Archived