Carnival Spirit April 11 Hawaii review~

mcgovernsandra

Couple of questions:D

Was the crossing a "smooth" ride...or rocking and rolling:D

Also....how many nights was this cruise?

Was the weather warm in Hawaii??

And Lastly....Why do they bus to Ensenada?????:confused:

Why can't they board in San Diego and then stop in Ensenada for a port??? Dosen't make sense.

Thanks

K

Why can't they board in San Diego and then stop in Ensenada for a port??? Dosen't make sense.

Thanks

K

I found the following that explains how the Jones Act applies to Hawaii cruises.

American passengers on foreign cruise ships to Hawaii must board in another country—typically, Vancouver, Canada or Ensenada, Mexico. These ships cannot pick up a passenger in one U.S. port and drop off the passenger in another U.S. port. However, after arriving from Canada or Mexico, they may tour the islands and drop off passengers in Hawaii. They may then pick up new passengers, tour the islands, and return to Canada or Mexico. As a consequence, these "foreign" cruise ships made approximately over 300 calls in Hawaii ports during 2002.

I found the following that explains how the Jones Act applies to Hawaii cruises.

American passengers on foreign cruise ships to Hawaii must board in another country—typically, Vancouver, Canada or Ensenada, Mexico. These ships cannot pick up a passenger in one U.S. port and drop off the passenger in another U.S. port. However, after arriving from Canada or Mexico, they may tour the islands and drop off passengers in Hawaii. They may then pick up new passengers, tour the islands, and return to Canada or Mexico. As a consequence, these "foreign" cruise ships made approximately over 300 calls in Hawaii ports during 2002.

Thanks......I'm sure at the end of the day it comes down to the "moolah". Always does:rolleyes:

K

Couple of questions:D

Was the crossing a "smooth" ride...or rocking and rolling:D

Also....how many nights was this cruise?

Was the weather warm in Hawaii??

And Lastly....Why do they bus to Ensenada?????:confused:

Thanks

K

well, I see you got your answer regarding the Jones Act. Still pointless in my opinion, but no big deal!

I did not consider it a rocky ride over, but several people were wearing motion sickness patches -although, I believe some people use these as a precautionary measure no matter what. I had no issue with the waves or any seasickness.

Cruise was 13 days.

Weather in Hawaii was lovely for the most part - 80's. Some clouds mixed with sun. Enjoyable!

Enjoying the read (more paragraphs will be helpful :))

Year after year, I read people expecting it to be warmer for the crossing. I wished we had brought a light jacket along. It definately is NOT lay out weather. But we never had to look far for something to do.

And it certainly is an older crowd, eh?

Also disappointed they made Hilo the first port of call. Ours was Kauai, and we fell in love with that island. Can't wait to return.

Sorry for the long paragraphs - I tend to get on a roll sometimes!! :o

I knew it was not going to be really hot and sunny the first couple days of the crossing, but did not expect them all to be cool. I did bring a couple light jackets. so not a problem.

I kinda enjoyed the fact that Hilo was first up on the itinerary, because then every port thereafter exceeded my expectations!

This segment I like to call "Cruising Faux Pas", also known as "Sandra's personal cruising pet peeves".

I have decided to divert from the cruise review for a minute or so. As I was sitting here reminiscing and collecting some thoughs for the review, several unwanted memories popped into my head. Images I have been trying to erase for the past ferw days but cannot seem to. I will share a few with you. Once again, everyone's opinions, likes/dislikes are different. I am just sharing mine with you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion..Do not shoot the messenger. On that note, here goes:

1) If you own a grey soiled Hanes sweatsuit, a shirt that says "You Can't Fix Stupid", " or a "Photo of my Cock" t-shirt (showing a picture of a rooster underneath) - these items do not, I repeat "do not" qualify as cruise casual attire for dinner. (yes, I kid you not!).

2) If the line for the grill consists of more than 20 people who have been waiting in line for an average of 20-30 minutes, the fact that you are 75+ years old does not entitle you to force your luncheon-plate between persons # 5 and 6 and yell "I'll take a burger!".

3) you standing within 6 inches of my back while I am at a slot machine will not make me play any faster or get up any sooner. I will play slower, pausing between pressing the button in order to sip my drip, glance around the room, etc. I know you are not wishing me luck, but are hoping that I lose all my money quickly so you can sit your butt down. There are plenty of machines for everyone. Do not be a slot stalker. move on.

5) In my opionion, 20 pieces of ANYTHING dipped in chocolate is too much for one person to consume in one sitting. The buffet is not going anywhere people. And dinner is only 2 hrs away. I think you probably can hold out.

6) actual question that a woman asked my husband in the elevator nearing the last day of the cruise - "How do you get to Deck one?" (heeeere's your sign!)

7) the breakfast buffet lines have the same layout EVERY day of the cruise. You got your omelettes, then your scrambled eggs, some type of inedible looking porridge/oatmeal conglomerate, pancakes or french toast, sausage, hash brown potato, ham, bacon. Towards the end you will encounter the condiments - jelly, jam, butter, etc. Directly across is the fruit line - fruit cocktail, grapefruit segments, orange segments, cantaloupe, pineapple, honeydew, prunes. There are no surprises. I can close my eyes and see it all laid out in front of me now. So why, oh why, do you stand there morning after morning with a line of 50 people accumulating behind you, with a bewildered look on your face?? I know what's there. You know what's there. So pick up the serving spoon, load up your plate and move on.

OK, in order to not offend anyone else, I will move on myself now. Just wanted to get a few things off my chest!

Review to be continued.....

My FAVORITE part, I'm a "Here's your sign" kind of guy and I truly believe it is your DUTY to dress well for dinner.

Isn't 5 sea days in a row too much?

We did this cruise in 2005. Loved it. 5 days is a lot but there is good tv reception and hubby brought his laptop and some DVD movies. It was very relaxing. Just bring some books, cards, etc.

We're thinking about going again next April. Was one of our best vacations.

Thanks for posting this review!

We're thinking about booking this cruise soon - spent a week on Maui for our honeymoon seven years ago, and really want to see the other islands!

Can't wait to read more about your adventures!

I did not consider it a rocky ride over, but several people were wearing motion sickness patches -although, I believe some people use these as a precautionary measure no matter what. I had no issue with the waves or any seasickness.

I was on this cruise. Was rockin' a bit. I don't think they used the stabilizers the first couple days as it was rougher seas later on but the ship wasn't moving as much. DW got sick the 2nd day from the motion. But I think it depends on your perspective. I don't have motion sickness so I didn't think it was too bad. But when DW is turning green it makes me notice the movement more.

Weather in Hawaii was lovely for the most part - 80's. Some clouds mixed with sun. Enjoyable!

We should have stuck closer to you! It was cool 70's and often cloudy and rainy over us, almost the whole trip! :(

Isn't 5 sea days in a row too much?

5 days at sea isn't too much. Very relaxing. But if I were to do this cruise again it would be Hawaii to Vancouver. Have the sea days at the end. I really only booked Ensenada to to Hawaii since I thought the weather would be much nicer for the sea days. NOT! :eek:

I liked the Ensenada to Hawaii. My next choice would be Vancouver to Hawaii. The time changes are in your favor on those and you get to listen to the naturalist about what you will see in Hawaii. Of course a b2b on either would be great!

Here are the wine packages they had:

P1120681.JPG

I liked the Ensenada to Hawaii. My next choice would be Vancouver to Hawaii. The time changes are in your favor on those and you get to listen to the naturalist about what you will see in Hawaii. Of course a b2b on either would be great!

Here are the wine packages they had:

Thanks! :)

For those just off the Spirit Hawaii cruises, how was the platinum laundry service? Was it limited or could you send in a bag daily? While I'm at it, how were the Platinum perks in general? I haven't been on a cruise for 2 years :eek: and have heard that perks are not as good now as they once were. Thanks in advance.

Dawn

We sent a couple bags out. They closed the laundries (including self-service) once we got to Honolulu or I would have sent another.

To send a bag out daily is absurd, IMO. Abuse like that will help get the perk removed.

Thanks for the info. FYI we have never sent laundry in daily, I just wanted to know if there were any restrictions. Are the self-serve laundries open while you are cruising the islands or only on the sea days?

Dawn

Archived