Getting from Tokyo to Yokohama

CRUISING ALONG

We are cruising on Legends of the Sea 18th May from Tokyo ( Yokohama)

to Shanghai. We will be spending 2 days in Tokyo before the cruise.

As we will both have luggage ( a suitcase each) plus backpack what would be the best way, less hassle, of getting from Tokyo to Yokohama?

All replies gratefully accepted.

Thankyou in Advance.

Regards

CRUISING ALONG:)

We are cruising on Legends of the Sea 18th May from Tokyo ( Yokohama)

to Shanghai. We will be spending 2 days in Tokyo before the cruise.

As we will both have luggage ( a suitcase each) plus backpack what would be the best way, less hassle, of getting from Tokyo to Yokohama?

All replies gratefully accepted.

Thankyou in Advance.

Regards

There are dozens of trains every hour between Tokyo Station, Shinjuku Station, and Yokohama.

Some are "Locals" (Futsuu in Japanese); slow and inexpensive (around US$8, and about 45 minutes)

Some are "Express" (Kuuko in Japanese); faster and sometimes more pricy (around US$15, and about 25 minutes)

Some are "Bullet Trains" (Shinkansen in Japanese); very fast and costly (around US$40, and about 15 minutes)

There are also limousine buses from most major train stations and hotels. Not very costly and perhaps a 60 - 90 minute trip.

You could take a taxi, but it would be very costly and really wouldn't save you any time.

There are some limos you can call and they are semi-reasonably priced...yes some are out of this world price wise so you have to be careful.

I would go for the limo...guessing at about 150USD but you would almost pay that from Manhattan to Newark airport I bet.

Thankyou BruceMuzz and world citizen for your replies.

Just another question regarding the train option. Is access to the subways and train platform via stairs?

I'll have another look at the limousine bus option and limo option too.

Thanks again

Regards

Thankyou BruceMuzz and world citizen for your replies.

Just another question regarding the train option. Is access to the subways and train platform via stairs?

I'll have another look at the limousine bus option and limo option too.

Thanks again

Regards

All Tokyo stations have elevators and escalators, as well as the stairs.

All Tokyo stations have elevators and escalators, as well as the stairs.

Do you really think the train is the way to go with baggage for a cruise - searching for elevators or escalators in one of the Tokyo stations?

I said there was English, but limited.

Also, depending on the station it can be a labyrinth.

Then, depending if you get off at Yokohama or Shin Yokohama station (for example in the case of the Shinkansen), you still have a way to go and depending on your luggage - a taxi might be problematic?

You may be right - seriously - but I lived in Tokyo for three years and I can't say I would recommend it. Its the navigating with luggage I worry about.

Maybe I worry too much.:eek:

Smooth sailing to you...

Edited by world~citizen

I have lived in Tokyo for 30 years.

Yes, the train stations can be a bit challenging at times.

But the station staff are very good about helping out.

Tomorrow I am going from Shinjuku Eki through Yokohama to the beach in Enoshima with beach chairs, cooler, radio, towels, etc.

There is never a problem getting them on the train.

You can be a traveler or a tourist.

I recommend the former.

Hi world citizen,

No.The train wasn't our original plan to get to the pier.A bus directly from the Hotel to the Pier would be ideal but that doesn't seem to be an option.:(

Fortunately we will only be making the one journey from the hotel in Tokyo to the pier in Yokohama. We'll try and avoid peak hour too.

Thanks again

Regards

I have lived in Tokyo for 30 years.

Yes, the train stations can be a bit challenging at times.

But the station staff are very good about helping out.

Tomorrow I am going from Shinjuku Eki through Yokohama to the beach in Enoshima with beach chairs, cooler, radio, towels, etc.

There is never a problem getting them on the train.

You can be a traveler or a tourist.

I recommend the former.

Well I have to say sometimes I worry too much.

Not sure what the traveller/tourist dichotomy was all about - I think we are all both.

I suppose I was thinking of the learning curve, you know, the difference between being there for three days and thirty years.

But if you are confident, thats good enough for me.

Smooth sailing...

Hi world citizen,

No.The train wasn't our original plan to get to the pier.A bus directly from the Hotel to the Pier would be ideal but that doesn't seem to be an option.:(

Fortunately we will only be making the one journey from the hotel in Tokyo to the pier in Yokohama. We'll try and avoid peak hour too.

Thanks again

Regards

You are very welcome.

Smooth sailing to you...

• 3 years later...

It appears from early research that the 'train option' from Tokyo to Yokohama is still viable today.

Since we are a large group (16 adults with luggage) staying at the same hotel (Hotel Niwa in Tokyo), we have some concern with the train option.

Is there a limo/bus/van service that anyone can recommend?

Our cruise in May 2014. Thank you :)

I would like to know about a limo service as well. I definitely don't want to take the train while dragging luggage. We have paid 90 euros in Europe to take a taxi rather than trains. Without luggage would not be an issue, but with luggage, no way. Also, you get to see more if you go by limo/bus/van. Just go with enough time so you don't miss the ship :rolleyes:

I would like to know about a limo service as well. I definitely don't want to take the train while dragging luggage. We have paid 90 euros in Europe to take a taxi rather than trains. Without luggage would not be an issue, but with luggage, no way. Also, you get to see more if you go by limo/bus/van. Just go with enough time so you don't miss the ship :rolleyes:

Check out----Narita Express. Excellent train service ( so I've read), lots of room for luggage. We will be taking Narita Express from the airport to Shinagawa. Train also goes all the way to Yokohama.

Their website( NEX) has a lot of info as well as photos of their trains.

It appears from early research that the 'train option' from Tokyo to Yokohama is still viable today.

Since we are a large group (16 adults with luggage) staying at the same hotel (Hotel Niwa in Tokyo), we have some concern with the train option.

Is there a limo/bus/van service that anyone can recommend?

Our cruise in May 2014. Thank you :)

Hi,

I think you should try to hire a medium size bus as you have 16 adults and luggages.

HI

Just an update on my post back in 2010. We did catch the train from Tokyo to Yokohama, changed platforms to catch the train to Nihon-Odori which is the station closest to Yokohama cruise terminal. It was all very easy.

We are returning to Japan again next April and have no hesitation catching the train from Nihon-Odori to Tokyo.

Check out hyperdia.com for prices and times for train journeys.

cheers

HI

Just an update on my post back in 2010. We did catch the train from Tokyo to Yokohama, changed platforms to catch the train to Nihon-Odori which is the station closest to Yokohama cruise terminal. It was all very easy.

We are returning to Japan again next April and have no hesitation catching the train from Nihon-Odori to Tokyo.

Check out hyperdia.com for prices and times for train journeys.

cheers

If you catch the right train, you can stay aboard without any track changes from Tokyo to Nihon-Odori. We did this in July. We took the Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin-Toykyu Railway-Minatomirai Line (same track/train but different companies run sections of the route) to Nihon-Odori. On a Sunday morning, it took us 45 minutes. The fare was 620 Yen starting at the Shinjuku san chrome Tokyo Metro station.