Powerstrip Solutions

denisey

So, I've been thinking about what I can do to live without a powerstrip for a week. I've heard lots of problems, but wanted to think positive. I guess the easiest thing would be to go without my electronics!

On another thread, someone mentioned that you can unplug the TV and use that plug for charging electronics etc (I'd give that person credit, but I couldn't find the post and don't remember the name :( ) I haven't tried this, but will certainly check it out on the next cruise.

The other thing I noticed is that my iPod charger and my cell phone charger are both Dual power. So they work with 110 and 220 V. I have an adapter for 220 that cost me a few bucks at a travel store, so I can utilize the 220 plug! I also have a dual power hair dryer and battery charger, but both of those need to have a switch flipped to use on the 220 plug.

Check out your chargers/hair appliances to see if this is an options BUT BE REALLY SURE THEY ARE USABLE ON 220 AND THAT YOU HAVE FLIPPED THE SWITCH, IF REQUIRED. If you don't or they aren't dual power, you will fry your electronic.

I did use the iPod charger, hair dryer and cell phone charger in Europe, so I know those will work.

Any other ideas?

Happy Sailing!

Well, if you are a family of 4, like us, with 3 iPhones and 2 iPods (yes, we're nuts) that all need charging, you can bring your laptop and hook up a mini hub with multiple USB ports to charge your devices.

41gIOgK%2BXkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That way, the laptop is only taking up one plug to charge 4 (or more, depending on your hub) devices. My DH and I both have the mini netbooks, so they don't take up much room in the safe and are very portable. Also come in handy when we want to dump pictures off of our 5 cameras (yes, we're geeks).

So, I've been thinking about what I can do to live without a powerstrip for a week. I've heard lots of problems, but wanted to think positive. I guess the easiest thing would be to go without my electronics!

Now THAT makes it a vacation!

I cruise to get away from electronics. Not really, but won't miss not having them with me. I take the few extra minutes and use the ship hair dryer. We bring a camera charger and that is about it. No cell phone. When people ask how to reach me, I just say they can't and leave and emergency # with someone I trust.

I have brought power strips before but I will not in this trip. I can plug my laptop only if I need too, and my phone is shut off unless I need it. My mother used it soo much on our last cruise I got a huge bill-so no using the phone. I can go to the ships computer center send email if I have to.

The only thing I will need to plug in is my charger for my camera, since I use a rechargeable battery pack..I do not think this is a problem...

It has been a very hectic couple of months, so having a electronics blackout will be a good thing!

:)CAN'T WAIT 'TIL THE DREAM IN JULY!:)

They really don't want you to power too many devices simultaneously. We found that our notebook charger would not pug into the one and only power outlet because the countertop was too close to it. So, I bought one of these short 3-pronged extension cords to use.

380765.jpg

Check your local hardware stores or search online. They are relatively inexpensive. Before we got this, we had to take the computer to guest services and ask them to charge it.

Here's hoping you have a great cruise. Bon Voyage!

honestly, people, is it necessary to use everything at the exact same time??????

We have battery operated speaker we use for the iPod out on our balcony. We turn the phones off and put them in the safe until we are in port. We will charge on on the last night to use for an emergency when we are traveling home. That's one hour on the outlet.

We do use the iPod a lot now, so that will get plugged in to charge at night before bed. Still only one outlet in use.

If you must use your own blow dryer, you will use that and then put it away. Still only one outlet in use.

A battery operated travel alarm is $6 at Target. No outlets in use.

Even if you have to charge a laptop, that's one outlet in use.

I'll admit that I don't use an Ipod but I take my cell phone fully charged and usually don't use it once I'm on board but I can always charge it overnight if I do.

I have an extra battery for my camera and arrive with a full charge on both of them but just incase it's a single overnight charge.

My laptop has a 9 hour battery and I'm not on it very much but again I don't need to charge every device every day.

There are outlets behind the nightstand or head of the bed so utilize those too.

honestly, people, is it necessary to use everything at the exact same time??????

quote]

For us, yes. We don't use the phone function on our iPhones while on the cruise (they stay on airplane mode), but we use them for music, games, and movies. We all plug them in before bed at night so that they will be adequately charged for the next day. You'd be amazed at how quickly the iPhone loses its charge. With the 3 iPhones plus the two iPods, that one plug in can quickly become inadequate.

That said, we solved the problem for our next cruise. We booked two cabins, thus doubling our plug in capacity :)

My girlfriend couldn't live without her power strip but my family really didn't use it much.

The laptop (I too have a 9 hour battery)...but...I guess my main use for the laptop is Facebook and Email, my husband and son the same plus "warcraft"...on a plane we might use it for a DVD player (but we're driving not flying...) but on the boat...no real need...no internet without outrageous charges. Charge it fully before you leave.

Cameras...we have 3 of these. My husbands camera takes batteries and really both my other two last seem to last a long time. I just make sure they're fully charged before leaving home.

My son turns his phone on Airplane mode and uses it for pictures and time...so for him...that needs charging. My phone...who cares...can't use it ANYWAY...my husband has an iPhone...he'll use the heck out of it for music but he also has a spare battery pack. Charge the phone and the pack at night and it'll last all day.

we all have iPods but they really don't take that long to charge. We just take turns. It seems like we're rarely all in the room at the same time "anyway".

Only the curling iron remains...except for the "dressy" night...I have no point in doing my hair on a "windy" cruise. I guess I just don't think it's all that bad...but maybe if I had more than three in my room. I guess once things are charged I just feel like they're not going to get any more charged leaving them plugged in all the time.

Remember too you can unplug things like the TV, Hairdryer, lamps...if you're not in your room you can use these extra outlets for charging.

Well, if you are a family of 4, like us, with 3 iPhones and 2 iPods (yes, we're nuts) that all need charging, you can bring your laptop and hook up a mini hub with multiple USB ports to charge your devices.

41gIOgK%2BXkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That way, the laptop is only taking up one plug to charge 4 (or more, depending on your hub) devices. My DH and I both have the mini netbooks, so they don't take up much room in the safe and are very portable. Also come in handy when we want to dump pictures off of our 5 cameras (yes, we're geeks).

Very cool! If we take the laptop, I'll have to look for one of those!

And it is great to see some one from the same time zone!

quote]

For us, yes. We don't use the phone function on our iPhones while on the cruise (they stay on airplane mode), but we use them for music, games, and movies. We all plug them in before bed at night so that they will be adequately charged for the next day. You'd be amazed at how quickly the iPhone loses its charge. With the 3 iPhones plus the two iPods, that one plug in can quickly become inadequate.

That said, we solved the problem for our next cruise. We booked two cabins, thus doubling our plug in capacity :)

I LOVE it! "Honey.....we need two cabins...." I don't know if that would work, since there are only two of us ;) But if we could get the aft wrap and the cabin next door...Super Balcony!

HMMM we cruise with four in a room... all women. We each have a camera that needs to be charged and three ipods and a couple charge their phones ( I leave mine turned off). We manage.

The problem usually arises when we are all getting ready. One person will want to use a curling iron while the other wants a straightener, or someone wants to use their own blow dryer, not the ships. I suppose we will just manage, 'cause I have never actually thought to bring a power strip before......dang it, this was gonna be a first for us. I guess you can all blame me, since I finally bought a power strip and put it in my cruise bag, they banned them.

I had also considered a few other things this cruise....better rethink that.

I've been mis-quoted!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would never get a second cabin for the power :)

Truthfully, neither would we. But it's one of the many excuses that we've used to justify getting the kids their own inside cabin across the hall.

Wow - my husband makes good money but 3 Iphones, 2 Ipods, computer, notebooks, 3 cameras etc is way beyond even what I am willing to spend let alone take all this stuff on a cruise. Our family sits and talks and visits, play cards, watch the world go by - the only music I listen to is what is playing on the ship at the time. The only time TV is on is to check our account or see where we are and check weather. Never ordered a movie. You know what - just forget it - I am as boring as hell.

I cruise to get away from electronics. Not really, but won't miss not having them with me. I take the few extra minutes and use the ship hair dryer. We bring a camera charger and that is about it. No cell phone. When people ask how to reach me, I just say they can't and leave and emergency # with someone I trust.
That's what I do too. I'm not importnt enought that i HAVE to be connected back home at all times. :D

Wow - my husband makes good money but 3 Iphones, 2 Ipods, computer, notebooks, 3 cameras etc is way beyond even what I am willing to spend let alone take all this stuff on a cruise. Our family sits and talks and visits, play cards, watch the world go by - the only music I listen to is what is playing on the ship at the time. The only time TV is on is to check our account or see where we are and check weather. Never ordered a movie. You know what - just forget it - I am as boring as hell.

We are actually quite boring, too. We're just all a bunch of gadget geeks. And we sit and talk A LOT, play cards, etc. but it's nice to have some tunes while we do it. And the movies are a nice way to wind down after a busy day or while lounging on deck.

We are actually quite boring, too. We're just all a bunch of gadget geeks. And we sit and talk A LOT, play cards, etc. but it's nice to have some tunes while we do it. And the movies are a nice way to wind down after a busy day or while lounging on deck.

I completely understand your situation and it is nice that you didn't bash me. I am one of those people who doesn't and can't multitask on vacation (do enough of that at home) so it is either talk and play cards and have music in the background but can't listen to music on an Ipod and do this at the same time. As far as TV - we usually don't end up back in the cabin until after midnight (we are night owls) and then we crash. Never there during the day unless need a quick bathroom break. I take our cell but it is off unless we are at a port, no computer, 1 camera (enough memory cards) because we are together mostly and same shot umpteen times just get deleted anyway. I am as gadget deficient as you are a gadget geek.

I'm with you. Our cell phones go in the safe as soon as we board the ship, we use a battery operated alarm clock, and we have 2 batteries for each of our cameras. We bring the chargers just in case, but the only thing we every plugged in was my hair dryer once. I guess I'm boring, too.

I'm with you. Our cell phones go in the safe as soon as we board the ship, we use a battery operated alarm clock, and we have 2 batteries for each of our cameras. We bring the chargers just in case, but the only thing we every plugged in was my hair dryer once. I guess I'm boring, too.

Welcome to my world - maybe we should start our own group on CC - let's pick a name - I suggest "The AntiGeeks". Only teasing those of you who think I am serious but then again, maybe I am. Anyone else want to join us.

I completely understand your situation and it is nice that you didn't bash me. I am one of those people who doesn't and can't multitask on vacation (do enough of that at home) so it is either talk and play cards and have music in the background but can't listen to music on an Ipod and do this at the same time. As far as TV - we usually don't end up back in the cabin until after midnight (we are night owls) and then we crash. Never there during the day unless need a quick bathroom break. I take our cell but it is off unless we are at a port, no computer, 1 camera (enough memory cards) because we are together mostly and same shot umpteen times just get deleted anyway. I am as gadget deficient as you are a gadget geek.

I totally understand where you are coming from.

Personally, I like to have everyone with their own camera. It's like seeing the vacation through a completely different perspective. The things that my 9 year old will take a picture of sometimes amaze me - stray cats, every animal she can spot, flowers, her brother doing wacky things. It's fun. She put her vacation pictures from our recent Cancun trip into a PowerPoint presentation for her class. That was fun.

I'm just waiting for the day that I download my 14 year old son's pictures - and find a lot of bikinis. Luckily he hasn't hit that stage yet. :o

Archived