mattress cover for bed bugs- GROSS

jessegirl88

Hi Everyone!

Hate to bring this up but last nite on nite line they were talking about bed bugs...They say they are everywhere..Including in Luggage...Has anyone

ever had a problem with this on cruise ships? Also, is it stupid to bring mattress covers and what size would I bring? We are staying in an outside balcony on Aloha deck.. Thanks

I wouldn't let it bother you, I hate those alarming 'news' reports. Bedbugs have been around for many years, and I've never heard a bedbug problem on ships.

BTW- it's only a matter of time, before one of the moderators remove this thread....as it's not really a Princess topic.

I am the biggest Princess cheerleader there is, BUT on our last cruise we did have a slight problem. We were on the Golden on the way to Hawaii. (Had not arrived in Hawaii yet). I noticed 3 or 4 bites on my legs and arms. DH had none. We couldn't see anything on the sheets of course. On our way to early dining we politely told the room steward about the bites and asked him to change the sheets. He appeared alarmed and assured us it would be taken care of. When we returned from dinner he caught up to us and said that his supervisor and the head of the hotel department had inspected the bed and found nothing but that the bed had been changed etc. Later on I was thinking they certainly weren't going to admit that they had found anything. Anyway, I'm sure the bed and carpeting were sprayed before the fresh bedding put back on. I received no more bites.

My point is that they take it very, very seriously and act on the slightest complaint. I was fully satisfied and will certainly cruise with Princess again.

I am going to add a bit of a different idea on this.

Many times, after visiting a port where passengers have gone to the beach, that night they think there might have been bed bugs in their beds. 99.999999% of the time, it was a sand flee problem at the beach that caused the bites. Especially if those bites are on their feet, ankles or legs, or if only one of the passengers sleeping in the same bed was biten. ;)

And if there was bedbugs a mattress cover would not guarantee them not getting to you. Allot of the time they hide other places too, headboards and edges of carpets, cracks in the floor. I had an issue with the little buggers in my home awhile back they either need to be poisoned or starved.

Hi Everyone!

Hate to bring this up but last nite on nite line they were talking about bed bugs...They say they are everywhere..Including in Luggage...Has anyone

ever had a problem with this on cruise ships? Also, is it stupid to bring mattress covers and what size would I bring? We are staying in an outside balcony on Aloha deck.. Thanks

Bed Bugs are a becoming a real problem again. It not uncommon to find bed bug on cruise ships as well as hotels. They say should you should never put your luggage on your bed because those little pest love to travel via luggage. I don't think you need to bring a mattress cover. Just avoid placing your luggage on your bed. Should have any problem advise your cabin steward ASAP. They also recommend that when you return home you open your luggage in your garage and remove your clothes. I know...that seem strange, but if you don't want bed bug then don't bring luggage into your house.

It was over a year ago that I saw the bedbug story on TV and in the newspaper. The

whole thing sounded scary, and that there was an epidemic of them.

I've yet to hear personally of anyone being bitten, and we spent 4 weeks staying in

more than a dozen hotels.....no problem.

I have never had a problem on any cruiseline nor have I met anyone who has had a problem with bed bugs.

Years ago, I used to fly to Dulles for meetings several times a year and one year, we were put up at the Marriott at the airport. Two different people had major problems with bedbugs -- when they drew up the covers, the beds were literally crawling. Others in our group were called in to verify and sure 'nuff, they were bedbugs. Even though it was after midnight (we'd been partying so most of us were still awake), management was called to move the people and take care of the problem. We were never put up at that hotel again (thank god!)

You will probably also find cockroaches, mice, rats, and mites everywhere. By the time someone packs all the preventitives there probably won't be room for any clothing in the suitcase........lol

Never had a problem on any cruise either.

Enjoy your cruise and sleep easy!!

Bed, Bath and Beyond sells a small bottle of a bed bug spray. We used it when we drove cross country last year and stayed in various hotels. Though we never saw any bedbugs, since there had been a bit of hype in the media, I felt better using it. If I recall correctly, it had a cinnamony scent.

Bed Bugs are a becoming a real problem again. It not uncommon to find bed bug on cruise ships as well as hotels. They say should you should never put your luggage on your bed because those little pest love to travel via luggage. I don't think you need to bring a mattress cover. Just avoid placing your luggage on your bed. Should have any problem advise your cabin steward ASAP. They also recommend that when you return home you open your luggage in your garage and remove your clothes. I know...that seem strange, but if you don't want bed bug then don't bring luggage into your house.

This is good advice. You should never put luggage on the bed. Also, changing the sheets will not get rid of bedbugs as they are in the mattress or headboard.

I know that as the world grows ever smaller bed bugs are becoming an ever increasing problem....however I am happy to say we haven't encountered the problem yet in either hotels or aboard ship.:)

If you are going to stress about what might be "lurking" in your cabin then stay at home but then again your own mattress/pillows will be full of "visitors" too. You can't avoid it.

Archived