Snorkeling

ladikara

We are going on a cruise that starts in Sydney and stops in many places along the coast of Australia, including the great barrier reef.

I LOVE to snorkel. Fell in love with it in Hawaii 2 years ago. Can somebody tell me if I should worry about these Box Jellyfish? Or will the season be over? :confused:

We will be on the cruise starting March 7th. I have read so much online about the Box Jellyfish, but the migration (?) times are all listed at different times on each and every website.

It it something I should freat about or do you think i'm okay?

Apparently March is still box jelly fish season as I am heading north soon too and you can't swim at the beach. (on the mainland) Despite this , last time I went in February and we could still swim and snorkel in the reef areas the boats visit- don't know why they are different- maybe someone else can help. You will love it and the water will still be very warm- I was in for hours without a wetsuit. Sue

Others may be more expert than me on jellyfish in North Queensland waters but here goes!

The stinger seaon goes generally from November through to April. It can vary a little from year to year, depending on weather conditions. If you are here around the start or end of the season there is plenty of advice available as to whether it has started or not. There are a variety of different types of marine stingers - box jellyfish and irukandji being amongst the most common. The jellyfish are born at the entrance to rivers and migrate, as they get bigger along the coast. At the end of the season they die out. They can be fatal if you are stung. There is no point in beating around the bush on that issue.

Having said that you have to put it into perspective. First, they are virtually entirely a coastal thing. The distance offshore to the Great Barrier Reef varies but from where I live, in Cairns, it is around 20 miles. It is extremely rare to have a stinger at the reef. Every day of the year thousands of people swim, snorkel and dive on the reef without problem.

In an average year a number will be stung and there may be one death on the whole Queensland coast. In an average year there will be millions who swim in North Queensland. The number who drown because they get into difficulties, can't swim well etc is a lot greater. So is the number of people who get run over crossing the road.

The bottom line is they are serious. You should not swim from a beach on the coast during the season without wearing a stinger protection suit (a wet suit or a panyty hose contraption and not very comfortable as the water temperature is very high). Or you can swim in one of the netted enclosures found on the most popular beaches. You should never swim at a beach without lifeguards and you should always follow their instructions. All basic stuff.

During the stinger season you would expect to counter no difficulties swimming at the reef and you should not be concerned. Be more worried that you will be run over crossing the road getting to the boat! (oops, don't want anyone to think that is a problem as well!!)

The Great Barrier Reef is a wonder of nature and rivals things like the Grand Canyon in beauty and impact. It should be seen by everyone even if you are here in stinger season. Long after you have forgotten what your cabin on the ship was like you will remember your experience on the reef and the other unique delights of North Queensland.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you for the information. We REALLY want to see the reef, and since our cruise line is offering a shore excursion to the reef, we thought it would be safe.

So we will just take our chances and hope the jellyfish and other stingers are elsewhere. :)

Once again, thank you for all that info. I appreciate it! :D

Turtlemichael:

We will be in the Queensland area March 22 - April 1. We are sailing the Whitsunday Islands and incorporating a land tour as well of the North Queensland area. Are box jelly fish a problem in the Whitsundays? Also, what can you tell me about saltwater crocs? Any information would be helpful. :)

Thanks

Divepal:

Yes stingers do affect the Whitsundays which are really coastal islands. The islands' beauty as you sail around will knock your socks off. I'm envious. You can hire stinger suits in the area. Here is a link

http://www.scubacentre.com.au/booking_hire.htm

As to crocodiles there are two sorts: saltwater and freshwater. Freshwater crocodiles are meant to be less aggressive but I guess a crocodile is a crockodile. To complicate it further, saltwater and freshwater crocs do overlap as to habitat. Crocodiles are mainly a problem in some north Queensland rivers. The river will be signposted where they are found and there you would be stupid in the extreme to swim. The vast majority of rivers and streams do not have crocodiles. As to in the ocean it is possible but rare. You cannot dismiss the possibility. You should seek local advice, particularly from the lifeguards on the beach. Without diminishing the seriousness, you are as likely to run into the Loch Ness monster. If you take the normal precautiuons I have mentioned, you'll be fine.

All of this should not affect your vacation plans in any way. You just need to it take into into account as you would any other danger anywhere in the world- the risk of being mugged in a dark street, having your camera stolen, hit by a car crossing a road etc Hope it helps.

Thank you for your quick and informative reply. I'm not sure if I'm more frightened of crocs or sharks, but I'm determined to dive the GBR. I have and use a lycra suit when I dive so that won't be a problem. I don't believe we'll have much time to get in the water after we leave the islands so I won't have to worry about freshwater crocs. Of course there's always the dreaded snake phobia, but that's another story in itself. :rolleyes:

Archived