Juneau vs Icy Strait whale watching

trishs

We are booked with Captain Larry in Juneau because with the cruise line at ISP I think the whale watching boat will have about 200 people on it. Captain Larry limits his capacity to 23. Looking forward to ISP but not for whale watching.

We also did both in Sep. Good thing too, because we had rainy, wet weather with Cap Larry and we had to run at full speed for close to 30 minutes to get out to where he had just left the whales. But all people outside and all their camera gear was sopping, even in rain suit!! Pictures came out dark and grey. Two days later, we had perfect sunny day with no wind for glass like water at Pt Aldophis for whale watching from ISP. It was a large boat, but we stayed on upper rear outside deck the whole time and saw more whales up close than I have ever seen anywhere. I shot 7 rolls of films plus some digital, plus my wife got great video. So if seeing the best whale viewing is a priority with you, consider both. If the length of the trip has been reduced and they are picking you up at the ship for the first tour, this would give you a little more time for rest of Hoonah and all that resident cruisecritic Koo Hook and his friends have to offer. Great port.

Thanks for the info.

We are traveling with my parents and they only want to do one whale watching trip, its in Aug so I hope for no rain but will go prepared. We will be booking in ISP with our own excursion not the 200 with the ship. If we go that direction. Thanks Trish

Archived