Flight to Rome thru JFK or Detroit?

maureenk

I'm flying from upstate to NY to Rome in August to catch a cruise. We will be arriving 4 days prior to the cruise to explore Rome. We can get flights directly to Rome from either JFK or Detroit (we'll be connecting to one or the other). I understand that one of the runways in JFK is closed for the summer. I'm thinking of booking thru Detroit to avoid JFK, but Detroit only has one flight per day whereas JFK has 3. I'd like to get to Rome without any hassles of missed connections, cancelled flights, etc. Anyone with any suggestions for Detroit or JFK?

For what it's worth, I live in the New York metro area and I haven't heard any horror stories about JFK regarding the runway work. It would be good, however, to hear from someone who has actually flown into or out of the airport in recent weeks.

According to the Port Authority, it isn't having much impact, but then that's what I'd expect them to say ... http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-facts-info.html

Thanks for the suggestions so far...I should have added that we would like to stick with Delta because we have some high $$ value flight coupons from being non-voluntarily bumped during a recent vacation (ugh).

Actually I recommend Detroit. We had to fly back to San Francisco from London via Detroit (not our choice) and it worked out so well! The flight was only about 1/2 full, and I got all three seats across the middle while DH had the window and aisle. It was the best intercontinental flight I have ever been on! The flight attendants were super, there was lots of food and booze available--really great. Plus the Detroit airport is very nice but be sure to use the overhead people mover if you can, long way between gates. When you stop and think about it, there are bound to be way more pax going to Rome from NYC than there are from Detroit!

Good luck

Cathy

I am assuming you are flying back? If so, consider this for the return:

Detroit is a MUCH better place for passport control/customs/security than is JFK. I don't know if connections to your home airport work for that routing, of course.

Going out, it makes less difference, but I'd certainly rather connect at DTW than JFK.

DTW is a great airport. We fly out of it all the time. The McNamara terminal that Delta flies out of is great, I think there seem to be a lot less delays there than JFK. I try and avoid routing through the New York airports....they have the biggest delays in all the US.

. Delta's Web site shows up to 4 non-stops a day from JFK to Rome, but two of those are actually on code share partner Alitalia. Not sure if that would require a change of terminals. Detroit, one. But there are also several connecting flights (e.g., through Paris) each day from each airport. You don't say how much connection time you'd have if you went through Detroit. That's important. If there's plenty of connection time I'd probably opt for Detroit, but am not an expert. If you do go through JFK and miss your connection, you may or may not get on another flight easily-- or even the same day. Depends on seat availabilty, for one thing.

Archived