Carnival Cruise; How formal are the formal nights?

blondeonboard

Welcome to the Forum

Formal night was changed to Elegant night.

Due to the luggage restrictions, many find it difficult to pack formal wear and keep the bag charges down. So it was changed.

Ladies would wear long dresses and men have been going with dress slacks, shirt & tie even(yuk).

I did see alot of sport jackets and a few suits on the Pride.

My boyfriend and I are taking our first crusie September 5 and we would like to know; how formal are the formal nights? I picked out a very nice evening gown and he was going to get a tux, are we going to be over dressed?

Really depends on the length of the cruise. The longer the cruise--the more formal the dress. That said, at least 10% of the men will be in tuxes on all cruises

Really depends on the length of the cruise. The longer the cruise--the more formal the dress. That said, at least 10% of the men will be in tuxes on all cruises

.....but I think since Carnival changed Formal Night to Elegant Evening that much less than 10% wear tuxes.

wasiii

I love to get dressed up but being from a small rural town I don't get that opportunity. I always wear a nice evening gown and DH (to be) will wear a suit. I have seen a mixture of both very elegant to Sunday best.

Uhhh not even close to 10% on our 2 cruises last year!!! 1% would probably be too many. I think I saw maybe 5-10 men in tuxes on the Valor, which has a lot of passengers!!

Op, slacks, a dress shirt and if he so chooses, a tie are perfectly elegant for Carnival's Elegant nights.

If you have the inclination to really dress up, I would say go for it. I always wear a formal gown, while DH wears a suit and tie. True, since the relaxation in the dress code or the "recommended" attire for "elegant" night, there seem to be fewer passengers who go all out, but that doesn't bother me. I don't mind being "overdressed" if they don't mind being "underdressed." It's all about perspective and personal preference, IMO. Dressing up for dinner is one time-honored tradition that I happen to enjoy.

Here is what we wore last month on the 1st formal night on the Miracle:

IMG_0005.jpg

On the 2nd formal/elegant night, there was a gentleman in a white dinner jacket. I made a point to approach him and say how nice it was to see. His "date" also looked lovely, so I complimented her as well. They seemed to appreciate it, but you could tell they were comfortable in their own skins, and that's the most important thing. Be true to yourself; go, have fun, and wear what makes you happy!

We haven't been on a cruise since Carnival changed it to "elegant" night, but we're still planning to get as dressed up as usual. Even when it was called formal night, people typically were more dressed up on the first one than they were for the second formal night. So I'll wear an evening gown for the first elegant night and probably a black cocktail dress for the second one. My husband will probably wear his tux both nights. You can get as dressed up as you want without feeling out of place. :)

If you want to dress up....please do. Don't worry about being "overdressed".

On Carnival, you will find a little bit of everything. You definately may not be in the majority...but you won't be alone either....

Each of my Carnival cruises has had a fair amount of women in long gowns, dresses and men in suits. Personally I don't pay enough attention to know whether men wore a suit or tux. I would say more passengers dress up on the night the elegant night is the captain's dinner than on the second elegant night.

My opinion, and this is only my opinion. There are still a fair number of ladies who wear a long evening gown. I did so up until two years ago. Last cruise I stuck to elegant pant suit, or cocktail dress for the two formal nights. You will still be able to enjoy your evening gown, and not feel out of place, but your boyfriend may feel out of place in a tux. I think I only saw a few men wearing them last October. He will be fine in a nice suit and tie. Again this only my very own humble opinion. Have a great cruise.:)

My boyfriend and I are taking our first crusie September 5 and we would like to know; how formal are the formal nights? I picked out a very nice evening gown and he was going to get a tux, are we going to be over dressed?

Just enjoy the cruise!!! I wear a tuxedo on every cruise I've been on, not because it is necessary or because I think I'm impressing anyone (I'm not), but just because I enjoy it. If your BF wants to wear a tux, great, if he'd rather not, that is okay too. JUST HAVE FUN.

I have worn tuxes, suits and just a button down shirt. Depends on the cruise. Somehow I have had a knack for making the right decision. Usually when I wear a tux I have sat at a table where all the men wore tuxes which made me feel good that I bothered. I found on the 4-day sailings I don't bother gussying up ever since I saw people shaking the captain's hand on elegant night in t-shirts. But it's really up to you. One thing I do enjoy is sitting out on the Promenade on formal night to get a good look at the "fashion" parade. I have seen some real doozies. I feel for the ladies because there's a lot more involved than just deciding to pack the suit or tux.

One thing I do enjoy is sitting out on the Promenade on formal night to get a good look at the "fashion" parade. I have seen some real doozies.
We always enjoy that as well. It's pretty funny because of the different dining times, you always see such a mix of outfits -- from swimsuits with cover-ups to evening gowns!

How long has it been since you were on a CCL cruise? You really saw 150+ men in tuxes? I don't remember ever seeing that in almost 30 years of cruises.

Steve

My favorites are the his & hers matching outfits.

Yeah, um, my hubby and I are sort of guilty of this! :o My fault, of course, but I always make sure he is wearing a tie that matches my gown. And our boys are always dressed alike, in sweet little suits that match Daddy's. But in my defense, we always get a portrait take, so that's why I like us to match. :p

I honestly wouldn't know if men are wearing tuxes or suits - I never look close enough. I do know that I always wear a long evening gown and my husband wears a suit.

I say wear whatever makes you comfortable, and while i have definitely seen people way too underdressed, I don't think you can ever be overdressed on elegant night.

Yeah, um, my hubby and I are sort of guilty of this! :o My fault, of course, but I always make sure he is wearing a tie that matches my gown. And our boys are always dressed alike, in sweet little suits that match Daddy's. But in my defense, we always get a portrait take, so that's why I like us to match. :p

I honestly wouldn't know if men are wearing tuxes or suits - I never look close enough. I do know that I always wear a long evening gown and my husband wears a suit.

I say wear whatever makes you comfortable, and while i have definitely seen people way too underdressed, I don't think you can ever be overdressed on elegant night.

You haven't seen the chain mail dress?

Steve

blondeonboard...

Since you are from Washington, are you going on a West Coast Cruise?

If you are on a Carnival Cruise leaving from Los Angeles or San Diego; then the people will be dressed up more and a bit more fashionable than cruises leaving for the Caribbean.

That makes a HUGE difference in the amount of dressing up.

Are you going on a 4 or 5 day cruise (one elegant night), or a 7 day (two elegant nights)?

When there are two elegant nights, then people tend to dress up more on the first elegant night.

It also makes a big difference if you have Early Seating or Late Seating! At early, there are far more families with small kids, and more people at the more casual end of the Elegant Night spectrum. At late, there are far more people who are dressed up and having an elegant "evening out" mentality. So more tuxes and suits. Bear this in mind as well, that another reason why there are some people saying they barely "saw" any tuxes, then other people say that they see about 10%.

Both are true according to that person's specific time schedule.

If you want to really have fun and enjoy it, then go for it! You'll get lots of compliments, and make sure to take advantage of the Carnival Photographers. Those Elegant Night pics are some of the best souvenirs and memories.

If you decide to take it a step down, then you will see lots of men in suits and women in cocktail dresses.

Please realize with all of the previous people giving their opinions - they are mostly talking about their one or two cruises lately on a specific itinerary, from a specific port, at a specific time of year.

They can only claim what they saw on their specific cruise.

Time of year, homeport, and itinerary make a big difference.

Please keep that in mind.;)

Really depends if you want to be the head turners. Tuxes are not the norm, but the are the stand outs.

All depends what YOU want to do. You will see others in tuxes, but not many.

Archived