Carnival Cruise; How formal are the formal nights?

blondeonboard

My boyfriend and I are taking our first crusie September 5 and we would like to know; how formal are the formal nights? I picked out a very nice evening gown and he was going to get a tux, are we going to be over dressed?

Sadly, you will be one of the few dressed that formally, but that shouldn't stop you. :)

How long has it been since you were on a CCL cruise? You really saw 150+ men in tuxes? I don't remember ever seeing that in almost 30 years of cruises.

Steve

I don't even think I saw 150 tuxes on my celebrity cruise!

Every man did have a suit on however...

My DH wears a tux and I swear he was the ONLY one on our Miracle (Last August) cruise to have one on.

Needless to say he doesn't pack it any longer.

I wear a long gown and my husband wears his tux on every formal night. We like to feel special and we're certainly not alone. We do also try to match our outfits with a cumberbund and tie for his tux or tie and pocket square with his suits and my dresses. For our last 4 day cruise a couple of weeks ago my husband took his tux and two suits and I took a dress for every day. If the clothes fit they shouldn't feel any different than any other type of clothes. We get a lot of compliments and always feel a special bond with others that dress up rather than down.

Get dressed up and enjoy it. You won't feel out of place.

Yeah, um, my hubby and I are sort of guilty of this! :o My fault, of course, but I always make sure he is wearing a tie that matches my gown. And our boys are always dressed alike, in sweet little suits that match Daddy's. But in my defense, we always get a portrait take, so that's why I like us to match. :p

Well then, that is a good kind of guilty because it sounds lovely. You will always treasure those portraits!

One can never be overdressed on Cruise Elegant night. It is much worse to under dress. DW has several nice fancy dresses and takes two on our cruises. I wear my tuxedo or white dinner jacket. While it is true that semi-formal or business attire is no longer required on Elegant nights, Most passengers dress nicely, at least on all of our cruises. Very few do not wear at least clothes that one would wear to an elegant cocktail party on land.

I sincerely feel that most of the posts about how casual the dress has become on Elegant nights comes from the same handfull (Steveaaaaaaaaaaaa, are you listening?) of posters. Evidently, they want to wear their Speedos to the dining room on formal nights or something. Anyway, they seem to have an agenda.

Doc

Hi there,

We're cruising on the Freedom in November. One gentleman in our group -- a good friend -- does not own any clothing more formal than jeans, shorts and t-shirts. I've told him about all the other dining options that don't have a dress code on formal night -- the buffet, pizza, room service, etc.

I'm not sure what he's planning to do, but if he decides to try to come to the dining room in his casual clothing, on Elegant night, will he be seated? Will he be turned away? How, exactly, does Carnival handle this? I'd like to spare him any potential embarrassment or awkwardness...

(Don't flame me! DH & I will be dressed elegantly.)

Hi there,

We're cruising on the Freedom in November. One gentleman in our group -- a good friend -- does not own any clothing more formal than jeans, shorts and t-shirts. I've told him about all the other dining options that don't have a dress code on formal night -- the buffet, pizza, room service, etc.

I'm not sure what he's planning to do, but if he decides to try to come to the dining room in his casual clothing, on Elegant night, will he be seated? Will he be turned away? How, exactly, does Carnival handle this? I'd like to spare him any potential embarrassment or awkwardness...

(Don't flame me! DH & I will be dressed elegantly.)

Jeans, shorts and T shirts or prohibited items on Elegant night. He will most likely be turned away at the door.

Jeans, shorts and T shirts or prohibited items on Elegant night. He will most likely be turned away at the door.

I saw at least 20 people with this.

I saw another 20 people in either an open collar button down shirt or polo with swim trunks or shorts and sandals. To be clear, this was on elegant night.

None of them were harassed by any staff members. Really depends on the M'd, as they know if they turn you away it increases their odds of not a tip from you. Also if you're in the mass crowd of people, it's really hard for them to get to you.

IDK, if one's moral compass is weak enough, if you get turned away simply say carnival or the airline lost your bag containing formal wear and you cannot afford a rental...

I saw at least 20 people with this.

We saw a number of people in shorts & tee's on the Liberty in March, in the formal dining room on Elegant night. I know the rules state that jeans, shorts and t-shirts are prohibited on Elegant night. I'm just trying to find out how it's handled by Carnival. And I realize that it probably varied by ship (we'll be on the Freedom), and by Maitre-d'.

DH is going to suggest to his friend that he invest in a pair of Dockers & a collared shirt. Me?? I sort of think it's a point of honor with this guy that he doesn't own anything that formal. But, I just want to be able to tell him what to expect. Perhaps he'll just go to the buffet.

Thanks,

One can never be overdressed on Cruise Elegant night. It is much worse to under dress. DW has several nice fancy dresses and takes two on our cruises. I wear my tuxedo or white dinner jacket. While it is true that semi-formal or business attire is no longer required on Elegant nights, Most passengers dress nicely, at least on all of our cruises. Very few do not wear at least clothes that one would wear to an elegant cocktail party on land.

I sincerely feel that most of the posts about how casual the dress has become on Elegant nights comes from the same handfull (Steveaaaaaaaaaaaa, are you listening?) of posters. Evidently, they want to wear their Speedos to the dining room on formal nights or something. Anyway, they seem to have an agenda.

Doc

Your right, I do have an agenda. That agenda is to inform new cruisers or those that have not sailed CCL in the past 2 years that the "Formal" has been eliminated.

We don't want anyone thinking they need a tux when pants and a shirt will now do.

Even yourself stating....they want to wear their Speedos to the dining room on formal nights or something.

is wrong!!!!! There are no longer any formal nights.How difficult is that for anyone to grasp?:rolleyes:

Steve

We saw a number of people in shorts & tee's on the Liberty in March, in the formal dining room on Elegant night. I know the rules state that jeans, shorts and t-shirts are prohibited on Elegant night. I'm just trying to find out how it's handled by Carnival. And I realize that it probably varied by ship (we'll be on the Freedom), and by Maitre-d'.

DH is going to suggest to his friend that he invest in a pair of Dockers & a collared shirt. Me?? I sort of think it's a point of honor with this guy that he doesn't own anything that formal. But, I just want to be able to tell him what to expect. Perhaps he'll just go to the buffet.

Thanks,

Just state his luggage was lost.:D

Steve

Honestly, even when it was called Formal Night, we always saw the occasional person wearing shorts in the dining room on just about every cruise. I'm not passing judgment because it really doesn't matter to me in the least what anyone else is wearing, just stating facts. The ONLY time we ever saw someone turned away for not wearing "appropriate" attire was in the specialty dining room on Legend. We have never seen anyone turned away in the main dining room. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but we've never witnessed it.

My boyfriend and I are taking our first crusie September 5 and we would like to know; how formal are the formal nights? I picked out a very nice evening gown and he was going to get a tux, are we going to be over dressed?

No, you won't be over dressed. But a lot of people will be showing that they have no clue of proper dress. Formal or "Cruise Elegant!"

• 3 weeks later...

Our 7 night cruise is leaving in July, out of Galveston, Tx, headed to Bahamas and Key west. I am ready to start shopping for my elegant night attire and wonder how many women still wear floor length gowns. I have read through these posts which mostly pertain to tuxedos and searched the forum and still cannot get a good idea how many women still wear long evening gowns. someone? anyone?

Truthfully those that want to dress up SHOULD!!! It's wonderful picture opportunities that your family may like to have. And if it makes you feel good you should do it!!!

We were always dressed formally in our cruises till the airlines put a whammy on luggage. Now sadly my DH just wears a suit and tie, I still wear nice long gowns but they are not the ballroom type gowns with all the layers of skirts.

But if we lived near the port we'd continue to dress formal even if others didn't. Because I am a nurse and I rarely get to dress up, scrubs are less than flattering I will tell you:rolleyes:.

Some will dress up and some won't and really why would it matter? No one will stop and gawk at you, except maybe to admire the pretty gown or handsome tux.

Do what feels good.

Cheers, Carole

If you want to dress up....please do. Don't worry about being "overdressed".

On Carnival, you will find a little bit of everything. You definately may not be in the majority...but you won't be alone either....

Totally agree - you can do your own thing and be fine.

On our last cruise last month, I didn't dress up very much because I forgot my dress clothes. We did stop at a mall on the way and I bought a dress for the first elegant night but the second night I just wore regular clothes. I hated it but I was so mad at myself I couldn't believe I left my clothes. I even had it on my list. I just didn't read my list very well. That's the first time that happened and I hope the last.

If the grand and glorious days of cruising are ever to return, we need to encourage EVERYONE to make the formal evenings the special, romantic and truly elegant events they were designed to be for decades upon decades of cruising.

I understand that people are on vacation, but you ARE dining in a 5-star restaurant -- and if you were on shore, on vacation and chose to go to a fancy restaurant, you'd dress accordingly or go somewhere else for dinner.

So I don't care if I'm the only guy onboard that's in his tux with his beautiful wife in a glorious evening gown -- we'll take advantage of every opportunity we can to make our cruise memories as special as possible.

If the grand and glorious days of cruising are ever to return, we need to encourage EVERYONE to make the formal evenings the special, romantic and truly elegant events they were designed to be for decades upon decades of cruising.

I understand that people are on vacation, but you ARE dining in a 5-star restaurant -- and if you were on shore, on vacation and chose to go to a fancy restaurant, you'd dress accordingly or go somewhere else for dinner.

So I don't care if I'm the only guy onboard that's in his tux with his beautiful wife in a glorious evening gown -- we'll take advantage of every opportunity we can to make our cruise memories as special as possible.

The MDR is not a 5 star restaurant. I also don't consider waiters in a conga line with fruit and drinks on their heads or dancing on the tables to Flow Rida' Low, special, romantic or truly elegant.

A 5 star restaurant doesn't serve pre-made banquet food.

Pre-made? I don't see frozen dinners being loaded on the ship -- I see crates of fresh produce and cases of meat -- and I definitely believe the kitchen staff is prepping and cooking their rumps off around the clock. Yes, they're serving thousands of dinners in 4 hours flat, but I think your characterization of the product they put out from that kitchen as "pre-made banquet food" isn't accurate or fair to their team.

So what's your real opinion of the MDR? 4-star? 3? Denny's?

What cruise line are you on? If its 5 star,what is with the $30 supper club.Everyone states its much better than the MDR. Would that be 6 star?

What 5 star place has dancing table waiters,conga lines,announcements,photo's with a pirate?

Steve

Archived