What can you tell me about Princess kids programs?

Kidsx5

Check out the Princess Kids Patters posted by Cruisinmama06:

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/Princess%20Patters/

Our DD's have both enjoyed the Fun Zone. Our older DD got tired of it when she hit around 11. The younger DD (now age 9) has done the kids program on Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. They are all basically pretty similar. Some minor differences that I've observed: Princess is strict about ages and won't let your kid move up no matter how "mature for her age" or close to her birthday your kid is. They also want you to sign up in advance for the after hours program, whereas it seems that Celebrity and RCCL are happy to have the kids just automatically "roll over" into the after hours program and have you sign a charge slip at pickup.

Read the Patters at the link posted above and it'll give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.:)

My daughter loved it, my boys hated it. Had less to do with the quality of the program then the fact the program simply didn't click with what my boys were interested. It was on 3 sea days on a Med cruise so they were old enough that it was easy to find other things much more interesting for them. I thought the program and activities were great, as did my daugther.

Enjoy that 1st cruise on Princess!

Just booked my 1st Princess cruise about 10 minutes ago knowing nothing at all about the kids programs lol :o So hoping someone has some information to share! Thanks!

Just my 2 cents,

We just got off Emerald and of all the cruises our kids have done, it was our least favorite. Not that it was bad, just not as amazing as the others. There were kids there who have never cruised before, and they LOVED it. My kids (10 & 12) were comparing it to Celebrity and RCCL, and liked both of those better. The main difference I felt was in the staffing. On the other lines, the staff seemed more into the kids, got on the floor and played with them, have video game tournaments with them, a lot more interaction with them. On Princess, I got the feeling that it was just their jobs to give the kids something to do, more like babysitters.

However, definately ask about the "jr chef at sea" program if they have one, it was the highlight of the trip. They don't advertise and only take the first 10 kids to ask. They get aprons and chefs hats and go into the galley and decorate a cake with the head pastry chef and a sous chef. Then you get the cake delivered to your table at dinner that night. We have 2 kids, so 2 cakes!

That said, we had an amazing trip, tons of family time (which is why we go away together), and brought back some wonderful memories. Would I book again on Princess with the kids, probably not, but do I regret it, definately not.

I just sent the Shockwaves (ages 9-12 ) to Cruisinmama06, so they may be appearing there shortly if that helps.

Kim

Just my 2 cents,

We just got off Emerald and of all the cruises our kids have done, it was our least favorite. Not that it was bad, just not as amazing as the others. There were kids there who have never cruised before, and they LOVED it. My kids (10 & 12) were comparing it to Celebrity and RCCL, and liked both of those better. The main difference I felt was in the staffing. On the other lines, the staff seemed more into the kids, got on the floor and played with them, have video game tournaments with them, a lot more interaction with them. On Princess, I got the feeling that it was just their jobs to give the kids something to do, more like babysitters.

However, definately ask about the "jr chef at sea" program if they have one, it was the highlight of the trip. They don't advertise and only take the first 10 kids to ask. They get aprons and chefs hats and go into the galley and decorate a cake with the head pastry chef and a sous chef. Then you get the cake delivered to your table at dinner that night. We have 2 kids, so 2 cakes!

That said, we had an amazing trip, tons of family time (which is why we go away together), and brought back some wonderful memories. Would I book again on Princess with the kids, probably not, but do I regret it, definately not.

I just sent the Shockwaves (ages 9-12 ) to Cruisinmama06, so they may be appearing there shortly if that helps.

That's a bummer about the attitudes of the staff in the kids club you experienced. lets hope we have someone more cheerful and into it!

Thanks for the tip on the Jr Chefs! I wonder what the minimum age requirement is on that - I'll have to inquire.

Thanks!

My girl was 5, 7 and 8 on her Princess cruises. It seemed she enjoyed Carnival a tad more, but I think as she gets older, Princess would be a better fit. They have many of the same kind of activities (Passenger Scavenger Hunts, Olympics, arts and crafts), but Princess has a partnership with the California Science Center so there's also itinerary-related science activities (squid dissection is probably the most popular).

When you first get to your cabin, you'll get a packet of info for each group your kids are in. So if you have younger (3-7 in most cases), there'll be a Pelican packet, and so forth. It'll have how and when to register (you can check out the rooms in the afternoon before sailaway and then at night, you attend a mandatory orientation), as well as a day-by-day listing of activities. During the cruise there'll be one or two kids' dinners in the Horizon Court (one side will be closed off for a "private party"). You drop off the kids for the dinner, and then the counselors will take the kids up to the fun zone for the evening program.

You do need to sign up a day ahead for post 10pm kidsitting (an hourly charge/will be prorated by the quarter-hour) and in-port kidsitting (no charge). But the other kids (maybe 8 and up) probably wouldn't like the post 10pm kidsitting as they'll be lots of the younger ones there.

Cruisin Chick,

With respect to signing up a day in advance for late nite kid sitting, do you know if you are charged if you cancel?

We will be in the Med, and while we intend on using the service, I suspect that some nights we will just be too tired. I don't know if we will be able to plan in advance to use it, and I would hate to not have registered her for a night and want to use it, or vice versa.

cs

On Emerald, there was no scavenger hunt, or science stuff, which the kids were really looking forward to, as we had read about it. It was really mostly arts and crafts, and seemed like busy work. The pool is not part of the kids program, and is one of the specific adult pools, again, I was only on Emerald, so other ships may be different. They did a lego competition, which both kids enjoyed.

The jr chef at sea program is only for the shockwaves kids (ages 9-12 I think).

Kim

I'm an Elite Princess cruiser and my DD has cruised a dozen time with us on Princess. She is almost 9 now and has always enjoyed the kids clubs on Princess. I recall one poor experience which was directly related to the manager at the time, but other than that, it's been nothing but positive.

They do a great job with limited space and a lot of restrictions. Facilities vary from ship to ship but they are excellent. Obviously, it depends on the child and the activities offered, and no, nothing is going to quite compare to the kind of thing Carnival and RCCL offers, but I have nothing but good things to say about Princess kids clubs.

hi! I have another question:

It looks like there is a small pool in the Kids area. Does anyone know the depth, who uses it (tots, older kids), etc.?

cs

That pool is very shallow, about a foot maybe. On the Crown Princess, it was covered with a tarp to block the sun which was nice. Never saw very many kids in it. Also, the staff do not take the kids to that or any other pools.

Have any of you been on the Caribbean Princess lately? Love to hear how the kids programs are. I have two that will be in the shockwave program

Lisa, We should remember to inquire about the Jr Chef at Sea class once on board. Maybe our dd's could do this together. Mine loves to cook. :)

Our kids have used the programs on Princess, RCCL, Celebrity and Disney. The only one they did not like was RCCL, which was too regimented for their tastes (kids are forced to participate in all activities whether they are interested in them or not). We've always had great counselors on Princess, but I recognize that this differs from ship to ship, and person to person.

I can only say good things about the Princess program, and we have experienced it multiple times, all over the world!

The junior chef idea sounds like a great idea Chesneygirl. We need to sign up early for that one right? Do you need to wait until you are invited to the kids club for orientation or can you hop down their after you board?

The junior chef idea sounds like a great idea Chesneygirl. We need to sign up early for that one right? Do you need to wait until you are invited to the kids club for orientation or can you hop down their after you board?

Reading it on CC is the first I've heard of this program. Sounds like space is limited. I/we can inquire at orientation. I just hope I don't forget. Hopefully between the two of us one will remember to ask. :)

Hi, I wanted to mention to those who are going to do the Jr Chef at Sea program, talk to the head of the kids program (not just your age group, but the head of the whole program) at orientation on the first night. I had to leave dinner to sign the kids up and they were # 7 and 8 out of 10. Also, closed toed shoes and long pants (capris will work if necessary) are required. Each child is allowed one adult to go with him/her. Same dress code for the adults. Just so you are prepared... Have a great time, it was a highlight of the kids trip.

Kim

Hi, I wanted to mention to those who are going to do the Jr Chef at Sea program, talk to the head of the kids program (not just your age group, but the head of the whole program) at orientation on the first night. I had to leave dinner to sign the kids up and they were # 7 and 8 out of 10. Also, closed toed shoes and long pants (capris will work if necessary) are required. Each child is allowed one adult to go with him/her. Same dress code for the adults. Just so you are prepared... Have a great time, it was a highlight of the kids trip.

Kim

Can you elaborate about what the program entails? I am imagining that they make a dessert or a meal with one of the chefs. Does this happen while we are at sea? Thanks

On our cruise it was on the last sea day. The kids each got a cake that the pastry chef made and sliced lengthwise ahead of time, and got a decorating lesson. They got whipped cream, strawberries, mini chocolate chips, chocolate drizzle and mini marshmallows (plus stuff i am probably forgetting) to decorate with. Then they served the cakes (we have 2 kids) at dinner that night.

• 1 month later...
Reading it on CC is the first I've heard of this program. Sounds like space is limited. I/we can inquire at orientation. I just hope I don't forget. Hopefully between the two of us one will remember to ask. :)

just wondering how it worked out? Did you chilfren enjoy the program? Did you sign up at a certain time, right after sailaway?

My daughter would like to do this, so I am trying to find out the specifics to be ready to try and get her in since it is limited.

thanks.

We've been on two Princess ships with our daughter: Crown, in March '09, then Caribbean in Dec '09. My daughter (4 and 5 at the time).... loved Pelicans.

Frankly she didn't want to spend time with us. At the end of our last cruise, we actually went off shore without her (I had sworn I would never do this) for a couple of hours, because she was "done" touring, and just needed some kid down time. We did a rum tasting tour.

I think the key to the club is the staff: she had great staff both times, but I can see how her experience would change with the staff.

BTW: we never had problems signing her up for late night sitting THAT night..... they're not going to turn you away. And once we came back early, and weren't charged..... you get charged only for the hours you are away. We don't use it that often though, as we're all tuckered out from the day's activities.

You'll love Princess as will your kids, I'm sure.

Sue

Archived