Can my 11 year old go to the 12 year old camp?

pnmbn

I am cruising with my DS in July, just 2 weeks before his 12th birthday. I was wondering how strict carnival is with the age thing for camp. Will he be able to be in the 12-14 group, or will he have to be in the 9-11 group. Because of his b-day he is the youngest in his grade. Most of his classmates are already 12. I just think the 9-11 would be too young.

TIA!

Paula

They may let him, but I think it will really just depend on the number of kids that happen to be in each age group that week. It is usually easier to move down an age group than up. Good luck.

You might not want him to be moved to the 12-14 because there are more organized actvities for the 9-11's than the 12-14's. But its your call.

Before you go and ask for him to be moved, I would take a good long look at the different activities offered for each age group. I can tell you that there are many more planned activities for the younger group (see below). If that matters to you, then keep him in the 9-11.

Here is an example in the difference in activities on the same ship betwen those age groups. Below is a sample of the 9-11s and the 12-14s....

The 9-11s activities took up 4 pages while the 12-14s take up one. So if you move him to the 12-14 year old age group, you might be spending a lot of time with him because not much is going on at the club.

Triumph9-11Pg1.jpg

Triumph9-11Pg2.jpg

Triumph9-11Pg3.jpg

Triumph9-11Pg4.jpg

Triumph12-14Pg2.jpg

You might not want him to be moved to the 12-14 because there are more organized actvities for the 9-11's than the 12-14's. But its your call.

Before you go and ask for him to be moved, I would take a good long look at the different activities offered for each age group. I can tell you that there are many more planned activities for the younger group (see below). If that matters to you, then keep him in the 9-11.

Here is an example in the difference in activities on the same ship betwen those age groups. Below is a sample of the 9-11s and the 12-14s....

The 9-11s activities took up 4 pages while the 12-14s take up one. So if you move him to the 12-14 year old age group, you might be spending a lot of time with him because not much is going on at the club.

Triumph9-11Pg1.jpg

Triumph9-11Pg2.jpg

Triumph9-11Pg3.jpg

Triumph9-11Pg4.jpg

Triumph12-14Pg2.jpg

do you have any of these programs for Holland America, we have cruised with them once and had a great time but this time are best friends are going with there kids and we have talked up the kids camp so much I dont want them to be disspointed we are going with hal because the 3rd and 4th are so much cheaper, so anything you have would be great thanks.Deanna

do you have any of these programs for Holland America, we have cruised with them once and had a great time but this time are best friends are going with there kids and we have talked up the kids camp so much I dont want them to be disspointed we are going with hal because the 3rd and 4th are so much cheaper, so anything you have would be great thanks.Deanna

Yep, all of the kid pages are always at the link in my signature here...

http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages

Holland American specific pages are here...

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/Holland%20America%20Club%20HAL/

If you are cruising NCL, I can tell you to NOT count on them moving him to the next age group UNTIL he is actually 12 years. Sorry...:o

Paula (the original poster) is cruising on Carnival.

But you say NCL is strict huh? I haven't had much experience with them. But that's good to know. Thanks! :D

Just a note: This is not a commentary about any of the prior posts or the OPs son.

On our last cruise (Celebrity) the Fun Factory crew let 10 and 11YOs "age up" -- as a result the teen club was overrun with 10 and 11YOs and the teens avoided it at all costs!

DD (14YO) and her friends spent there time as far from it as they could. They were able to find enough "constructive" activities by themselves, but it was a shame that they were forced from the teen club by a mass of ill-behaved tweens.

So if anyone wonders why a cruise line may take a "hard line" on ages, I now can see why.

They have to draw the line somewhere - if a kid with a birthday in a month moves up, the kid with the birthday in two months wants to move, and then it's hard to tell the kid with a birthday in three months to move.... and some parents actually do want their kids to move down a group, thinking that's a better fit. If there's not a hard line somewhere, it's a free-for-all.

In my experience, the ages limits are truly limits. You might get around it, but should not count on it because it might not happen.

:)Thank you all for sharing!, My first cruise and I'm worried about what my DS will be doing.:confused: I really enjoyed reading the daily agenda, was wondering if anyone has one of those for a Princess cruise.

Thanks Again for all of you input!

Diamond Dave, at the bottom of crusinmama06,(six posts before this one) on the left side is a link to photobucket, where you can find the kids club info on Princess and just about all of the curise lines.

I looked at Cruizinmamas pages. Do all ships have a kids club for the 12-14? There didn't seem to be a lot of structured activities for that age. I was looking at a trip for after DD's 12 birthday, would she have to go with the 12-14 year olds. Thanks

Tough to say all ships have a space for 12-14 year olds, but I believe pretty much all of the newer, larger ships on the major lines have designated spaces for teens.

Once they get to the teen, the structured activities really begin to diminish as compared to the younger groups. I know that our 12 year old daughter loved moving up to the teen group as she found the 9-11 group she was in before constraining.

In viewing these boards over the last few years, I believe the consensus is that the kids pretty much are asked to stay in the appropriate age groups, however, those that have attempted to change groups have had more luck moving kids down a group rather than moving them up to an older group. It all depends upon what the staff will allow.

I know RCI tries to stick with the appropriate groups. My son turned 12 half way through one of cruises. I had to go through hoops and sign all kinds of papers to allow him to go into the 12 - 14 group. He is another that is a late birthday so is used to being around kids who are older.

I hear that there are issues quite often with moving kids around. I know it probably is not feasible, but a grade enforced group may make more sense. My DD is also in the same situation, she didn't turn 18 until almost 2 months AFTER graduating from high school. We sailed for her grauation and she was still considered a teen.

Archived