Cruising in Oct - Reassurance needed

lvcruises

We have never cruised this late into hurricane season, we try to stay in the June or earlier time frame. Has anyone cruised in Oct? Have you ever had to deal with a hurricane or really bad seas? How did NCL handle it, do they change the itinerary and go to other ports? Have you ever had a cruise canceled in Oct? Just looking for reassurance from past experiences which I know do have anything really to do with the future.

We have never cruised this late into hurricane season, we try to stay in the June or earlier time frame. Has anyone cruised in Oct? Have you ever had to deal with a hurricane or really bad seas? How did NCL handle it, do they change the itinerary and go to other ports? Have you ever had a cruise canceled in Oct? Just looking for reassurance from past experiences which I know do have anything really to do with the future.

You don't say where you are cruising to but I presume it's the Caribbean since you're concerned about hurricanes.

I've cruised at the end of October to Grand Cayman and Jamaica with no problems at all.

A friend of mine cruised in the Caribbean during hurricane season and since one of their ports was expected to be hit by a hurricane, the ship stayed away and did a sea day instead.

We have cruised from CA to Hawaii in October and we have also done transatlantic crossings in October. No hurricanes in those areas.

I will be boarding the Sun as you are leaving. I usually cruise in September, which seems more active as far as hurricanes. It is hard to tell really. It is a chance you take. If the ship can leave port, it will change itinerary and stay away from tropical storms and hurricanes. Sometimes there are substitute ports and sometimes extra sea days. You just have to be willing to realize you may not go to the scheduled ports or any ports and have a good time anyway. There is also a chance that the hurricane is at your embarkation port and your cruise may be cancelled or delayed. If delayed, you won't get the full 7 night cruise.

If you are flying, I highly recommend getting there a day early.

If we all had crystal balls it would be great, but we don't. I have always felt Oct is pretty safe, yes, there have been a few horrible storms in Oct, but from mid Oct on it is rare. What will NCL do? Normally, they will change the itinerary but rarely does any cruise line totally cancel a cruise. Situation like Katrina would be the exception. About the only time I would not book a cruise due to possible weather conditions would be the last week or so of Aug up to the first week of Oct. So, if you are talking mid Oct you can feel relatively safe.

Nita

We have taken six cruises in Oct and only once was our port of call changed--and it happened to be one of the best unexpected ports. It was Key West and it was great. Suppose to have stopped in Cozumel, but had to bypass because of strong winds. Didn't ruin our cruise one bit as we have been to Cozumel many times and Key West was new.

If something happens to change a port just enjoy wherever you land up. It's just another adventure in life. Don't worry --just go have fun!!

BTW-- The Sun is one of our favorite ships!!!

I hadn't noticed until someone mentioned it that you will be on the Sun in October. I guess they saw that in your signature.

I'm booked for the 10/16 Western Caribbean on the Sun and I'm not worried about hurricanes at all since the captain will keep the ship away from any ports that might be in the path of a hurricane.

Cruises aren't cancelled for hurricanes, the itinerary is simply changed if necessary.

Mid-late October is generally safe.

Although the cruise lines do not cancel cruises for poor weather, an exception may be a hurricane forecast to come ashore at the departure port on the day of departure. Ships don't like to be in port when hurricanes hit. That would extend the returning cruise and delay the outbound cruise, I would think.

Thanks for all the replies and reassurances. We are traveling with another couple and she mentioned it to me yesterday. I had briefly thought about but had dismissed it until our conversation. This should give them some reassurances also. We are driving to the port from NC so at least we don't have to worry about flying and those weather related delays. Again thanks everyone, I always know when I have questions many of you will come through with answers.

We are sailing on the Dawn out of NYC to Miami for 12 days in the Caribbean on Oct 10 and have no fear of hurricanes. The ships avoid the heavy seas and bad weather. It may mean a change in itinerary but that could be interesting. Come join us.

My wife and I cruise regularly in October as it is our Anniversary month. I think as many times as we have done the Boston/Bermuda cruise - there was just once where we left Bermuda a day early because they were bracing for a hurricane. We were all told to prepare ourselves for a very rough ride home - it turned out to be the smoothest sailing we have ever experienced! The Capt. will steer away from the storm.

I DID have a friend who drove down from Nova Scotia to Boston one year to do the Boston/Bermuda cruise. Because of a hurricane, Norwegian changed the itinerary and sailed up to Nova Scotia - SOOO they drove all the way to Boston only to sail home to Nova Scotia! Even at that - they enjoyed the cruise tremendously and still joke about being the only ones on the cruise who were able to check their "Snail Male" while on the cruise!

Go on your cruise and have a great time!

Most of our cruises have been in October. When sailing from NY or NJ we had very rough seas going to Bermuda one trip and another time had to leave Bermuda at 10 a.m. instead of 4 p.m. on our last day there in order to outrun a tropical storm.

Once when sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to the western caribbean the first week of October there was a hurricane near Mexico so when we boarded it was annouced we were doing the eastern itineary instead. It was disappointing but the ship can usually avoid the bad weather and seas.

All in all there is more of a chance of inclement weather in October but the pricing is good and we prefer to cruise in the fall as ships not as overcrowded and kids are back in school.

We cruise to Bermuda every October which is ideal weather there. Much more of a chance of hurricanes in September and you won't find hordes of school age children on board in October. Go for it.

Archived