spring break or school holiday

on explorer next april 28th 9 nighter and wondering if there will be spring break or school holidays then

It is a possibility . Most tend to be late March or early April. However it should be noted that in general the 7 day cruises have a much wider appeal to budget minded college students. Unless of course the 9 day is an exceptional deal .

"Easter Break" which is now known at "Spring Break" is all over the place around the country now...

But, with a 9 night cruise, you will experience far fewer students since it a:

is more expensive than the shorter 3 or 4 day booze cruises associated with "Spring break"

b

involves much more time away which also reduces the number of students who can take that much time away.

Spring break is usually a good bit early than your dates. However, Easter falls very late next year; April 25th, I think. My spring break at the school I work for will be the week before Easter and therefore will be over just before the 28th. It's possible that some school will have their breaks the week after Easter- but probably not too many.

On longer cruises, I don't think you really need to worry about "spring break" crowds anyway. Since I work for the school system, I always travel during spring break and never had a problem with the number of children and families or rowdy college students.

College spring breaks are typically in March. There are several sites that will give you all the college break dates for next year as the time gets closer. Here is a site from 2010 to give you an idea:

http://www.tripsmarter.com/panamacity/springbreak/sbcalendar.htm

I can confirm that Easter break (k-12 schools) is all over the place in the country. It used to be primarily the week immediately before or the week immediately after Easter regardless of the fact that Easter changes from year to year. Now many school districts have done away with "Easter" break entirely and offer spring break at a set week ever year (example, first week of April).

Since I do travel at 'spring break' every year, I can confirm that trips departing from San Juan or cruises lasting longer than 7 days tend to have a fraction of the number of children as 7 day trips from a departure port that you can drive to.

Hope that helps,

Cheryl :)

I know my school's (middle school) spring break will be the week of March 12 and we will also have the Friday off before Easter. Each school district has its own calendar. Or at least that is how it works in AZ.

Best way to check a school calendar would be by either contacting the your school or school district. I know that my school district plans its calendar three years in advance. You might be able to go to the school district website and download this information.

Hope this helps.

Archived