Alaska on Celebrity

teacher_md

I am looking into taking my first Alaskan cruise next summer and I have some questions. I am not an exclusive Celebrity cruiser (though my last 2 have been on the Summit and the Millennium), but I'd like to depart out of Vancouver and Celebrity is one of the few lines that offer this (no Disney or Holland for me).

The Century offers a round-trip to/from Vancouver. Do the Northbound only or Southbound only itineraries offer a lot more? If I just do the round-trip will I be missing out on something spectacular?

The itinerary on the Century is: Vancouver, Inside Passage. Icy Straight. Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Ketchikan, Inside Passage, Vancouver. The Millennium does the Northbound/Southbound itineraries and that is also an option.

Flying to or from Alaska from the East Coast doesn't sound like too much fun. Quite a journey!

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, AJ

I am looking into taking my first Alaskan cruise next summer and I have some questions. I am not an exclusive Celebrity cruiser (though my last 2 have been on the Summit and the Millennium), but I'd like to depart out of Vancouver and Celebrity is one of the few lines that offer this (no Disney or Holland for me).

The Century offers a round-trip to/from Vancouver. Do the Northbound only or Southbound only itineraries offer a lot more? If I just do the round-trip will I be missing out on something spectacular?

The itinerary on the Century is: Vancouver, Inside Passage. Icy Straight. Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Ketchikan, Inside Passage, Vancouver. The Millennium does the Northbound/Southbound itineraries and that is also an option.

Flying to or from Alaska from the East Coast doesn't sound like too much fun. Quite a journey!

You will miss out on Skagway which is a great port, but can be rather crowded. Also, the trip from Anchorage to Seward (or Seward to Anchorage) is quite beautiful. The one-ways can be more costly because of the one-way flights (Vancouver and Anchorage).

On the r/t Vancouver you do get the inside passage twice and it is one of the most beautiful parts of your cruise. The water is very calm and the scenery breathtaking.

You really can't go wrong with either itinerary. This summer will be the third time we've decided to commit 2 weeks and sail north and then south thus getting the best of both.

You can't go wrong with any trip to Alaska. We will be on Millie in early Sept. Our prior trip was on Princess, 11 years ago. Leaving from Vancouver is fantastic should you desire to spend a few days exploring there. It is a wonderful city! Disembarking in Seward is also a lovely. It will give you the opportunity to explore Anchorage a bit should you desire. Whatever the case, seeing, the Glaciers, Juneau & Skagway would possibly prove to be the best of your journey. If you can take a cruisetour and go to Denali.....PLEASE do so. It is a beauty, epecially seeing all the wildlife!!!

Enjoy!

Pinkie:o

I found there was very little to do itinerary wise in Ketchikan. We went for the duck tour in the end. Seemed the best option. There were just really a lot of tours. The inside passage and Hubbard glacier are amazing to see, though you don't actually need to get off of the ship to see them. For Juneau i recommend the mushers camp if they're still offering it. It's a dog sled ride, tour, talk on the huskies and you get to play with the puppies at the end which was great fun. That was the one place that had a lot of choice on excursions.

Hey teacher, I just actually booked this itinerary for this coming July on Mercury. I too am flying from the east coast, Toronto, and figured it actually would be much more convenient flying into Vancouver. I debated about Princess, which goes out of Seattle and I know Skagway is a big port to miss. The last time I was on Celebrity I found the caliber of service better than Princess but that was 3 years ago. I also worried we wouldn't get to see as much with a round tripper but looks like the itineraries are very similar on a one way and on a round tripper. Have fun!

We are taking our 4th cruise & land trip to Alaska this month of May . Don't miss going to Anchorage ,Denali ,Fairbanks . We are doing 2 cruises & 11 dys on land .I arranged all the hotels ,motels ,tours ,car reantal & airline return myself . not only died we save money but we got so much more than a cruise tour combination . doing your home work of pre planing does pay off .

We bought this savings coupon book : http://www.alaskadiscountcoupons.com & saving well over $1,000 in discounts .There is also http://www.toursaver.com which is another coupon book .Before you buy them check out the deals they offer on line .

BTW we love May because it is the least rainy month of the 5 month season & the weather is usually in the mid 50s to mid 60s .

If you can fly Alaska airlines ,then get the Bank of America Alaska Airlines credit card & you will get a companion ticket which saves you money .We did this & my wife is flying with me first class for $79 (450 for the companion ticket +$29 in taxes)

We stay in Hilton properties in Anchorage & Fairbanks using Hilton Honor points .In the Denali area the best place to stay is in Healey at the Deanli Lakeview lodge . Only a 15 minute drive to Denali .This is a 3 diamond AAA large B&B over looking Lake Otto with breakfast in your fridge . Rooms have large windows & most likely you will see more wild life than in Denali from our private balcony .We don't go into Denali ,instead we take ATV tour out of Healey which skirts Denali & much more interesting & less costly than the Denali tours .

Thank you for your Alaska tips, everyone! I think, given my budget and the time off we have, I'll probably do the round trip on Century. I really want to spend some time pre-cruise in Vancouver.

So to the next question - if I'm doing Alaska in June, is it essential to get a balcony cabin? Normally, I'll do an oceanview or a balcony. Balcony price is significantly higher. We don't spend a ridiculous amount of time in our cabin but I'm wondering if it will be crowded in the public areas trying to see all the sights.

Again, any advice appreciated! - aj

You miss Skagway (and its cool railway) but you do get to hit Icy Strait which is my favourite stop in Alaska- no Del Sol or Diamonds International and no more than one ship in the harbour at a time so it feels less crowded, much more natural and less commercial. The cannery building there is really neat to see (and free!)

I found there was very little to do itinerary wise in Ketchikan. We went for the duck tour in the end. Seemed the best option. There were just really a lot of tours. The inside passage and Hubbard glacier are amazing to see, though you don't actually need to get off of the ship to see them. For Juneau i recommend the mushers camp if they're still offering it. It's a dog sled ride, tour, talk on the huskies and you get to play with the puppies at the end which was great fun. That was the one place that had a lot of choice on excursions.

Hi,:) did you do research over on the Alaska forum about Ketchikan?

The best excursion I have ever done was a Floatplane tour with

"Island Wings"...it was FANTASTIC:D:).....Michelle is the pilot and owner

and she flies to the Misty Fjords and it was nothing like I have

ever experienced before. Simply magnificant!:)

Thank you for your Alaska tips, everyone! I think, given my budget and the time off we have, I'll probably do the round trip on Century. I really want to spend some time pre-cruise in Vancouver.

So to the next question - if I'm doing Alaska in June, is it essential to get a balcony cabin? Normally, I'll do an oceanview or a balcony. Balcony price is significantly higher. We don't spend a ridiculous amount of time in our cabin but I'm wondering if it will be crowded in the public areas trying to see all the sights.

Hi AJ:) I have sailed to Alaska 3 times...last year most recently.

Vancouver roundtrip. One of my very favorite cruises:D

If you go to Ketchikan check with Island Wings and do the Floatplane

tour to the Misty Fjords. It was the BEST excursion I have ever

done...Michelle is the owner and pilot...simply FABULOUS:D

I had a window cabin once and inside cabin twice. Some folks will

tell you a balcony is an absolute must...I disagree. I cannot always

afford one and I still have a fantastic time.:)

Any cabin choice is certainly a personal one. However, we've done a inside, mini-suites & balconies on various sailings around the globe. We had a inside to Alaska which made us decide to never do it again. The thought of being able to view the beautiful scenery from your stateroom in the open air is a real treat. If you are carefully watching your $$$, do what is best. Keep your eyes open ....sometimes there are some fantastic deals for balconies and/or booking with sizable on board cruise credit can prove to be very beneficial.

Hope this helps you in your decision.

Pinkie

We leave for our 4th cruise to Alaska next week. To me the ONE thing that I would not miss is Hubbard Glacier:D. I would never book a cruise where it was not included. Balcony rooms are nice but very cool and windy. Out side room with a "warm" view is good enough for me. But as was said...personal choice. You will love this cruise and there are lots of great places to look at every thing on the upper decks.

Woody

Archived