Getting close... a few questions.

Hi everyone!

We head to Puerto Rico in less than two weeks to board the Victory, and I have a few questions for all you. Can't wait to be on our first cruise!

I plan to take soda on board with us... does it matter if we take cans or bottles? Silly question maybe, but I'd rather ask than get there with bottles and not be able to get them on.

I read something today or yesterday about self-assist debarkation not being available on the Victory, can anyone confirm this? We have a early flight out of San Juan and may be cutting it close (11:00), so we had planned on taking our luggage off ourselves.

Also, we plan to be up and off the ship as soon as possible every day, which means 7am or 8am all days but one. From what I read the dining room is not open for breakfast in time for us to go there, but we were hoping for a good, hot breakfast. I saw someone post a room service menu and it didn't have hot items, so can someone tell me what time the buffet is open? And possibly how late it is open in the evening?

I also saw that luggage is supposed to be under 50 pounds and has length restrictions. Are they strict on that? My luggage is ok on the size, but after buying souvenirs in San Juan pre-cruise, I can't be too sure on the weight. I do have a carry-on, just don't want to have to shuffle stuff around right at the port, I guess.

Can anyone who has sailed on the Victory port-a-day cruise give me an idea how long it takes to get off the ship after we dock in each port? We have excursions booked in two ports, and both tours said they would only wait thirty minutes after docking time.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.... you all seem to be able to answer anything!

we have always taken cans of soda, 2 twelve packs at least and had no issues.

some ports do not allow self-assist. I don't know about San Juan for sure, but go to the purser's desk with your flight info, and they will give you a high number to get off the ship.

The buffet is usually open at 6am.

We have never had them weigh our luggage at the pier, but I wouldn't go too crazy just in case.

The airport in San Juan is pretty laid back. It's gotten a little better over the years. If your ship gets in fairly early you shouldn't have trouble making your 11 am flight - but you may be cutting it pretty close. As the other person suggested, take your reservations to the pursers desk (during the latter part of the cruise - but before the last day so the desk isn't as busy) and they'll give you luggage tags and numbers to get you off the ship in the first or second group. (The last few cruises we've been on 1s and 2s are off first...but whatever number they give you should get you off with other early flight passengers.) You should get a letter or instructions on where and when to meet on debarkation day...if you don't have them by the night before disembark (and you didn't get the info when you went earlier) go to the pursers desk and ask.

The 50 pound weight restriction if for your airline...if it's a major line. They haven't cracked down on the size restrictions (except in carryons). It's expensive to go over the 50 pounds. I usually pack an extra carryon that can fold up (an over the shoulder type)..just in case. That way I can pull it out and stuff it with clothes and avoid the $50 or $75 fine - not sure what it is - just know it's expensive. (You might want to have an address lable on your extra bag so you don't have to mess with it if you need the bag.) If you do it quick you won't have to get out of line.

My times are from a few years back...but Lido deck started serving danishs at 6AM on the days when you docked at 7, with breakfast on the Lido deck from 6:30 to 11 AM. The dining room served from 7:30 until 9:30 AM. Lido deck is open for lunch from 12 to 4 PM. And dinner on the Lido deck is from 6 to 9:30. There is early & late seating in the dining room. 24 hour pizza and a late night bistro which varied timewise depending on how early you were getting in the next day and what kind of activities are going on that night. (Check you daily Carnival Caper - though I believe they changed it's name - for the times to be sure.) This will give you a general idea of how things might work.

I would not do room service if you want to leave at a particular time, they aren't always punctual.

Carnival has a new beverage policy, that I admit I missed the part that you need to carry on your water or soda, 12 per person, doesnt say bottles or cans.

Host Mach posted it and that's when I noticed the part about putting it in my carry on, not in my checked luggage. Doubt they will be strict on the policy, since its so new.

Are you sailing on May 16th? If so, you should join our roll call! We're going to have a couple of meet and greets! :)

Also, check into Luggage Express. It's a program that Carnival has where you pay $20 (per bag and is in addition to what the airline charges for your bag) and you put your bags out the night before you debark. They take your bags to the airport and check you into your flight and give you your boarding pass. You don't have to mess with your bags until you get to your final destination. We are on this same cruise and will be doing this. I definitely think its worth the money to not have to deal with the luggage or porters at the cruise terminal or the airport.

All the other cruises I have been on, the dining room opens at 6am. But the buffet on the Lido deck will be available as well. You can also have room service (no charge, but don't forget to tip them) deliver your breakfast at a certain time. You'll have cards you need to put on the outside of your door the night before.

Hi everyone!

1. I read something today or yesterday about self-assist debarkation not being available on the Victory, can anyone confirm this? We have a early flight out of San Juan and may be cutting it close (11:00), so we had planned on taking our luggage off ourselves.

2. Also, we plan to be up and off the ship as soon as possible every day, which means 7am or 8am all days but one. From what I read the dining room is not open for breakfast in time for us to go there, but we were hoping for a good, hot breakfast. I saw someone post a room service menu and it didn't have hot items, so can someone tell me what time the buffet is open? And possibly how late it is open in the evening?

3. Can anyone who has sailed on the Victory port-a-day cruise give me an idea how long it takes to get off the ship after we dock in each port? We have excursions booked in two ports, and both tours said they would only wait thirty minutes after docking time.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.... you all seem to be able to answer anything!

1. The Victory DID NOT offer the self-assist program. I just sailed her a few weeks ago. We did Luggage Express---paid the extra $20 per person and had them print our boarding passes. We were in the 3rd luggage express group and were off the ship by 8:45am. We didn't see our luggage after passing through customs---they took it to the airport for us.

2. If you plan on getting off the ship as soon as it docks, you probably won't have time to do the sit-down breakfasts...except in Dominica, which is when the ship docks at 10am. The Lido buffet was open every morning around 6 or 6:30am. We always grabbed a bite to eat at the buffet and were still off the ship in plenty of time. You are correct, the room service menu offers mostly cold breakfast food.

3. It didn't take long to get off the ship in any of the ports. We made it to all of our private excursions without any issues. Since none of the ports are tender ports, it is much quicker to get off of the ship. There was one stop...Barbados maybe...where we had to wait a few extra minutes to leave the ship. One note---in Barbados, there are buses that will take you up to the actual terminal area. You will be getting off the ship in the middle of a very industrial port. You then have to walk through the terminal to get to the taxi area. The whole process takes a few extra minutes.

Hope that helps you out! If you have other questions, ask away!!

I do plan to watch the weight of my luggage for the flight, and for the return flight. I am taking a collapsible duffel in my suitcase and will use it as an extra checked bag if I need to, just to avoid the overweight fee. I plan to have extra luggage tags just in case. My main concern is catching the flight at 11am.

I can't wait for this vacation...

I do plan to watch the weight of my luggage for the flight, and for the return flight. I am taking a collapsible duffel in my suitcase and will use it as an extra checked bag if I need to, just to avoid the overweight fee. I plan to have extra luggage tags just in case. My main concern is catching the flight at 11am.

I can't wait for this vacation...

what I do to make room for souvenirs, is take stuff I know I will leave behind or throw out. Shampoo, conditioner 3/4 used - then I trash it. Only take paperbacks, trash it. I have even been known to take beat up knock around clothes for PJs (stained t-shirts, torn sweats) and then leave them in the trash. We bought a luggage scale a few years ago, it is in my carryon at all times, we have never once gone over weight on luggage at the airport.

Archived