Day Trips From Madrid?

chaja

We'll be spending four days in Madrid after disembarking from our cruise in Barcelona this September. We would like to take a day trip and are torn between Toledo, Segovia, Seville and Cordoba so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Charles & Jane

I wouldn't exactly call Sevilla or Cordoba a day trip. They are really quite far away and you would spend the majority of the day travelling.

Segovia is only an hour out from Madrid on the train. It is a stunning city and one of my favourite places to visit. Toledo is also worth a visit, although it's a bit further away than Segovia. You could combine a visit to Segovia with a visit to El Escorial, which is on the way to Segovia.

Dear friends:

Did you get your airline reservations organized? I remember we had corresponded about that issue.

Seville and Córdoba are very far away -- not day trips.

If you have two days to spare -- do Toledo one morning, and do Segovia another day.

Toledo can be done in half a day (preferably the morning).

Segovia can also be done in half a day, although you should have lunch at Cándido restaurant (where the cut the roast suckling pig with a plate instead of a knife).

You can do these tours on your own (there are fast trains to Toledo, and commuter trains to Segovia). Also, there are local tour companies (Pullmantur, Julia Tours, etc.) which have very inexpensive bus tours complete with guide, etc. to these cities. I would check them out.

However, between the great museums we have here in Madrid, the Royal Palace, and everything else, your four days are going to go quickly.

Do you need any hotel recommendations for Madrid?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

There are now fast trains to Segovia(from Chamartin station) and to Toledo (from Atocha) that take half hour. I like them both , you should read about them and see which attracts you more. If you like roasted suckling baby pig, don't miss it in Segovia. Last time I went to Restaurante Duque and loved it.

In theory you could do a "day trip" to Cordoba( approx 1hr 45 mins) or Sevilla(2.5 hrs) on the fast AVE train, but it would be costly and rushed.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I had figured Cordoba or Seville would be doable on the AVE trains but agree that it may be a bit much to try to do either in one day. We'll look into trying to visit both Toledo and Segovia.

Gunther & Uta: Thanks to your advice on the Crystal board, we are now planning to take the AVE train from Barcelona to Madrid. I've done some research and figured out that discounted web fares are available on the Renfe site starting 62 days before the date of travel.

We've got reservations at the Hotel Atlantico, which seems to get very good reviews on TripAdvisor, but would welcome any other recommendations. I'm a bit frustrated with Hotel Atlantico because they're being surprisingly stubborn about providing tour info. I've written them three times explaining that I'd like to plan our tours in advance and that we might even extend our stay in Madrid depending on what tours are available, but they won't budge, saying that it's "too complicated" to plan them in advance.

I've requested quotes from Spain Day Tours, which does private tours, but I'll look at the group tours offered by Julia Bus Tours (affiliated with Spain Day Tours) and Pullmantur based on your recommendation. Both Julia and Pullmantur offer a combo Toledo/El Escorial group tour which sounds interesting.

Thanks again!

Charles & Jane

Charles and Jane:

Nice to hear from you again. 62 days is plenty of time to start seeking a discounted fare on Renfe. That's also still plenty of time if you change your mind and want to find a discounted airfare.

The Hotel Atlantico is a fine tourist-based hotel. Don't expect any outstanding advance service from that type of hotel. However, the tours you are planning can be arranged once you get here, so you won't have any problem.

That Hotel is right on the "Gran Vía" (sort of the Broadway/Times Square of Madrid). Some people like staying in this area -- others don't and think it's too noisy and congested. Make sure you are comfortable with this area before staying there. I could recommend other hotels in other neighborhoods depending on your preferences.

The bus tour companies run a full day tour (Toledo / lunch / El Escorial / Valle de los Caídos). It's very touristy but actually quite fun and you get to cover a great deal of ground. Pullmantur has been owned by Royal Caribbean for quite a few years now, so rest assured that at least Pullmantur has international backing.

Let me know how else I can help you.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Segovia, Avila, Toledo, Cuenca, Aranjuez, El Valle de los Caidos & Escorial, La Granja Palace. Of course you could do a day tour to Cordoba, Seville, and even Malaga, but it´s rather exhausting. If you consider flights, any point in the country could be a good option just as panoramic tour. Iberia doesn´t allow cheap day return tickets or one ways one, but Ryanair does.

You could also try to get to closer places like Alcalá de Henares which is a delightull old town at only half an hour journey by local bus. Great old university, old town, the house of Cervantes are the major sights. Also Pedraza and Siguenza as typical Castillian Villages. The Manzanares Castle is probably the finest in the whole country. Also at an easy reach from Madrid.

Archived