Sport coat ok for elegant nights?

that's what CCL posts, too bad they apparently don't enforce...according to friends who have recently sailed CCL have told me:(

During recent elegant night on the Inspiration, bud observed several adult men in cargo shorts, 'dressy' tshirts & flip flops.

When they changed the standard a lot of us complained because we knew that due to typical Carnival non-enforcement, it would only get worse.

We were, of course right. ;)

"So lemme get this straight - no need for me to bring a suit and tie? No more formal nights? Why did Carnival ditch formal nights? That's a big night for us. RCL hasn't ditched formal night. This is a bummer.

Why don't people enjoy dressing out anymore? Is this why Carnival is identified as the wal-mart of the cruise industry? If not, this sure paints them in that corner!"

Maybe because people are on a relaxing vacation and dressing up is not relaxing to many that have to do this everyday. If you like to wear a tux or evening gown, no one is telling you not to, heck do it every night if you want to! Don't like Carnival but like RCL? Your choice, your money, do what makes you feel good.

So....

technically, I could just wear a long sleeved nice shirt and slacks, no tie, and maybe even no jacket?

you betcha - my husband and son both wore nice dress shirts and slacks - no jackets were even packed. They did wear ties on elegant nights and to the steakhouse but otherwise just the above. I did see others in full suits and dresses as well as tuxes and gowns and everyone seemed comfortable. No body was pointing and laughing.

When they changed the standard a lot of us complained because we knew that due to typical Carnival non-enforcement, it would only get worse.

We were, of course right. ;)

im sure u r right:(

for us part of the charm of a cruise is dressing (to different degrees of formality) for dinner, makes it special as we rarely do so @ home.

imo, they shouldn't dumb down the experience for those who appreciate it just to cater to the lowest 'dress' denominator (for lack of a better term, no judgement implied as to peeps' charactar who chooses to only bring tshirts & shorts on a cruise.)

where's the harm in directing those who show up, disregarding the stated attire on elegant night, to alternate dining area (lido buffet?) if basic menu is offered there too?

<singing> A white... sportscoat.... and a pink.... carnation.

Wow, I am WAY too young to even KNOW that song :o

I was thinking along those same lines except I went Buffett-esque... "A White Sport Coat And A Pink Crustacean"

Why not dress up when you go out for dinner at home:confused:

since u ask;), apparently; it must be the company we keep. the fanciest white tablecloth places we frequent (the local italian bistro & red lobster) call for business casual at most. I've got friends in low places, but like to clean up on cruises, part of the total package for me.

wearing cocktail attire would be out of place and a distraction to the vibe of my hometown favorites, exactly what a pair of cargo shorts equals on elegant night according to CCLs written dress code.

no stressing for the casual cargo shorts/tshirt crowd...im sure CCL is way too busy tracking down smuggled wine, fans & electrical strips to bother enforcing any of their other, far less important edicts:rolleyes:

So lemme get this straight - no need for me to bring a suit and tie? No more formal nights? Why did Carnival ditch formal nights? That's a big night for us. RCL hasn't ditched formal night. This is a bummer.

Why don't people enjoy dressing out anymore? Is this why Carnival is identified as the wal-mart of the cruise industry? If not, this sure paints them in that corner!

You are encouraged to dress how you want. On the Valor I saw quite a few tuxes and dark suits (I wore a dark suit - but with my cowboy boots...lol).

However if you don't want to dress up and just wear "nice" but not formal...then you can do that as well.

You can read my experience including dress on my blog/review in my signature.

IMO the most important thing? Be yourself. Be want you want to be and dress and to enjoy. If that is dress to show off, great! If is dress to be nice but comfortable, great!! Doubtful you will feel out of place either way you go.

Archived