The train from Copenhagen to Sweden ???

We will be in Copenhagen and would like to take a day trip to Sweden. All tours we have located to Sweden (from Copenhagen) are not in operation the day we plan to a take a day trip from. Copenhagen to Sweden. Any information on the train would be greatly appreciated.

We will be in Copenhagen and would like to take a day trip to Sweden. All tours we have located to Sweden (from Copenhagen) are not in operation the day we plan to a take a day trip from. Copenhagen to Sweden. Any information on the train would be greatly appreciated.

I will assume (hate when I do that) that you just want to cross the bridge from Copenhagen to Malmö, right? That would be no prob at all I would imagine. I rode the X2000 from Stockholm to Copenhagen (and return) and I think it took about 10-15 minutes from Copenhagen to Malmö. I also think there will be more local trains that make that trip because a lot of people commute back and forth to work.

I have to admit, I never stopped in Malmö so I don't know what there is to do there, but it is Sweden (technically) :). A lot of residents lean to the Danish side, but as my mother in law says, "that's another pilsner".

Have fun,

Al

We did a very nice day trip from Copenhagen..round trip. We took the train to Malmo, walked around the town and took a canal boat tour in Malmo, which left right outside the train station. We then took another train up to Helsingborg (still in Sweden) and hopped on the ferry which took us to Helsingor (Denmark). The Ferry terminal is connected to the train station in Helsingborg, so its a very easy transfer. The ferry leaves quite regularly, so if you want to explore Helsingborg, you can and still have plenty of time to your day. Sailing past the Helsingor castle is quite a sight!. When you get off in Helsingor, its a very short walk into the town (you must check out the ice cream shop 1/2 way up an alley near the train station..yum!) or you can walk over to the castle. Just a few steps from the ferry landing is the the train station, where you can catch a train back to Copenhagen. If you purchase the Copenhagen Card..it won't be good on the train to and within Malmo, but the ferry ticket seller in Sweden did honor it for a discount and then, of course, the train ride from Helsingor back to Copenhagen is no charge with the Card. I highly recommend that little "circle" tour. The scenery is wonderful and it was a very relaxing self-tour day! We plan to repeat it on our return visit!:)

John & Rick...Glad I could help. What I described, above, is a super easy on-you-own day trip - absolutely no reason to hire a guide or go on a formal tour. Be sure to arm yourselves w/a couple of good guide books, like Lonely Planet, Rick Steves (he has all kinds of walking tours) or similar (spend some time in B&N or Borders perusing all the books on Denmark and Sweden & pick out ones that best suit your interests)...and go on-line for information on Malmo & Helsingborg (can print maps, see how close everything is & plot out your course). If you get lost, the locals are wonderful, very friendly & anxious to help and most speak English.

Have a terrific time, that's our favorite part of the World..I'm envious:)!!!

Katie

Archived