easy jet for a day

xcomet

I have not, but I have friends who live in Rome who do it several times a year. If you don't have luggage, it can be less expensive than the train. EJ sometimes runs low fare specials, and with the new fares for trains up to 73 Euro each way (high speed train, second class fare), flying can be a better financial choice.

From a time perspective, it's about a wash (plane vs. train) when you consider the time to get to and from both airports. The new high speed trains make the trip in just under four hours. Between travel to the airport and allowing time for security, flying and then getting into town at the other end, the plane will take about the same amount of time as the train.

I have not, but I have friends who live in Rome who do it several times a year. If you don't have luggage, it can be less expensive than the train. EJ sometimes runs low fare specials, and with the new fares for trains up to 73 Euro each way (high speed train, second class fare), flying can be a better financial choice.

From a time perspective, it's about a wash (plane vs. train) when you consider the time to get to and from both airports. The new high speed trains make the trip in just under four hours. Between travel to the airport and allowing time for security, flying and then getting into town at the other end, the plane will take about the same amount of time as the train.

Thanks eurocruiser,

I know that is exactly what I was wondering time wise. Because easy jet has a 50 euro roundtrip fare, actually less expensive than the train. I will have to add in taxi to airport in rome and bus in venice. How long prior to flight would you be in venice and rome to board the plane?

I will have to add in taxi to airport in rome and bus in venice. How long prior to flight would you be in venice and rome to board the plane?

There is a train between FCO and Rome Termini that leaves every 30 minutes and costs about 10 euro. Remember it is a domestic flight (no customs) and you will not have luggage. I think it is a good option.

Thanks eurocruiser,

I know that is exactly what I was wondering time wise. Because easy jet has a 50 euro roundtrip fare, actually less expensive than the train. I will have to add in taxi to airport in rome and bus in venice. How long prior to flight would you be in venice and rome to board the plane?

I would be at each airport no less than one hour before the flight. Even though you don't have luggage, you do need to get through security, and the length of the line is completely unpredictable. With the low cost airlines, if you miss the flight, you've lost your money, so it's an expensive miss.

If you're going to FCO from near Termini, the new fare on the Leonardo Express (your only train option from Termini to FCO) is 14 Euro. (http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f12f3bf7c819a110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD) If you leave from either the Ostiense or Trastevere stations, the fare is half that much and it only takes about five minutes more.

At the Venice end, I prefer the ATVO bus to Piazzale Roma (vs. the city bus); it's only 3 Euro and takes about 20 minutes: http://www.atvo.it/index.php?lang=en&area=23&menuid=35

• 4 weeks later...

We took an Easy Jet flight from Venice to Rome on May 24th. Because it is a discount airline, it is a lot like riding a bus. You don't get an assigned seat so if that doesn't bother you and you don't feel like you need to be there sooooo early, I wouldn't worry about being there too early.

Flight itself only took about 35 minutes. For 28 euro pp, I thought it was great.

Just did the Easyjet Rome to Venice last month. First of all, even though we only paid 42E, RT, the RT for the train Termini station to FCO is now up to 30E, so the total RT to Piazza Roma was 72E.

To get from your Rome hotel, to St. Mark's and back in one day would be very tough, if you can work it out, do at least one night in Venice.

What we did was had our luggage held at our Rome hotel, backpacked to Venice, so we avoided all the hassle and expense that luggage makes on that trip.

Just be sure you are looking at costs including all taxes, fees and charges. "Cheap" flights on low-cost eurocarriers can sometimes end up costing a lot more than you think.

Agreed. You need to run a dummy booking on the website to end up at the true cost. On average, Ryanair's £1 fare will cost between £40 & £80 :rolleyes: though Easyjet are less-guilty and you won't have luggage. Their check-in times are short, esp without luggage, but as Euro Cruiser's post you need to allow time for security, etc.

Also, Easyjet don't have a good time-keeping record - their schedules are tight & delays can't be made up, so they can fly literally hours late by the end of the day.

If you are returning to Rome for a same-day sailing I'd very very very strongly reccommend that you avoid Easyjet.

John Bull

As much as I love Easyjet for their cheap fares, I agree with John - be careful if you're on a tight schedule. They totally cancelled one of my flights once and I had to wait for the next one. Luckily I wasn't in a hurry.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, thanks so much for all your help

I am going to try the venice in a day.

I am taking Alitalia there, and Easy Jet back.

Since it is 2 days before my cruise, I feel safe.

We will take the train , no luggage , to the airport, hop on Alitalia,arrive Venice ,take the bus to the square, hopefully see some things, and take easyjet back.(since if they cancel, no rush to get back)

I figure, whatever we see , it will be more than if we never went at all.

I will let you know in july when I get back, how successful, my action packed plans went!

• 1 month later...

Hello

Yup we did Venice in one day!

Unfortunately , there was a transportation stike. (welcome to Italy:))

so we had to hire a company to transport us to airport and back, it actually was less expensive than the train, because there were six of us.

It was 60 euro with , rome pick up (company) Unfortunately they were on stike in Venice too. So we took the vaporetto, which took 1 1/2 hrs !!!,instead of the bus!

Something important to note.....buy gold line ticket, it is only 5 euro more roundtrip, and only 40 minutes ! Wish we would have know that, and they wouldnt let us convert our cheaper blue/red line ticket to the gold , once purchased. We got to tour Dodge palace, but missed our secret itin tour, (non refundable) ,we did a gondola, (walk far down the main strip , the gondola gets cheaper, the farther from the square you are) Ours went from a quote of 120 to 60 euro , within a couple of yards.for a 50 minute ride.The guy further down was 40 euro, but wasnt dressed in the garb (my DH wanted the full effect),had some gelato , walked the square and went back to the airport! It was well worth it, when you are taking easyjet with such a low fare!!

Hello

Yup we did Venice in one day!

Unfortunately , there was a transportation stike. (welcome to Italy:))

so we had to hire a company to transport us to airport and back, it actually was less expensive than the train, because there were six of us.

It was 60 euro with , rome pick up (company) Unfortunately they were on stike in Venice too. So we took the vaporetto, which took 1 1/2 hrs !!!,instead of the bus!

Something important to note.....buy gold line ticket, it is only 5 euro more roundtrip, and only 40 minutes ! Wish we would have know that, and they wouldnt let us convert our cheaper blue/red line ticket to the gold , once purchased. We got to tour Dodge palace, but missed our secret itin tour, (non refundable) ,we did a gondola, (walk far down the main strip , the gondola gets cheaper, the farther from the square you are) Ours went from a quote of 120 to 60 euro , within a couple of yards.for a 50 minute ride.The guy further down was 40 euro, but wasnt dressed in the garb (my DH wanted the full effect),had some gelato , walked the square and went back to the airport! It was well worth it, when you are taking easyjet with such a low fare!!

I meant the Alilaguna, which is the private line...sorry, the vaporetto was part of the strike!!

Archived