Fuel Supplement Soon?

cdamion

I also think the amount is not unreasonable considering we all booked our cruises with the caveat that fuel supplements could return.

You said if you are already booked but I read it that if you are cruising after Nov 1 you get it whether or not you booked early.

This is not the case: here is the full email I read. It specifically says you will not be charged it you booked before May 10. (and yes I know this is all speculation as to what Carnival, Princess or HAL may do):

Dear Travel Partner:

Because of the continued rapid escalation of fuel prices, Cunard Line and P&O (UK) will introduce a fuel supplement of $3.85 (USD) per person per day. These brands will also implement this fuel supplement on third and fourth passengers.

The new fuel supplements will apply to all new bookings effective May 10, 2010 and will apply to all departures from November 1, 2010. The fuel supplements will not exceed $154.00 per person per voyage.

For bookings made prior to May 10, 2010, no fuel supplement will apply.

We regret having to take this action, but fuel price increases have continued, and we now find it necessary to implement a modest supplement.

Please remember that all of your bookings made on or before May 9, 2010 will not be subject to the new fuel supplement. Most importantly, we want to thank you for your business and continuing support.

Sincerely,

Peter Shanks

President and Managing Director

didn't OP point that out in the first sentence of their post?

Bill

Very first words of my post.

By the way, Bill, I see you are headed to Port Orleans Riverside Resort. I was just there a couple months ago and I think that is now my favorite Disney World hotel. It is not as upscale as their deluxe hotels, but the grounds are very nice and relaxing and the staff is very very friendly. Hope you enjoy your trip!

You are right I didnt look closely. Well, I still can't complaint too much, what are we $10-15 over the price they said they'd start to implement it, and it is much less than they reserved the right to charge.

On the positive side (yes I happen to see the positive) by the time many sail in the fall, the prices could fall, but I do agree the amount they are saying they will charge this time around is quite low!

didn't OP point that out in the first sentence of their post?

Bill

So, since I mentioned the fuel surcharge $10 on RCL I went back to this is Carnival though. At least I try and be clear and not post incorrect info if I can help it or get over dramatic, like some threads lately. I was just making a innocent factual comment...geez. trying to get that post count up I guess to bother telling me this?

While booking my upcoming 10th Carnival cruise :D today with my PVP I ask him about the fuel sup. He said that they have not been told anything about it. The official statement from Carnival continues to say, not at this time. That could change tomorrow. If so I have no problem coughing up the extra bucks and going.

Fuel surcharges stink, period. I wish the cruise lines would just take a more ethical approach and just raise fares to be more in line with costs, rather than tacking on fees and surcharges.

Fuel surcharges stink, period. I wish the cruise lines would just take a more ethical approach and just raise fares to be more in line with costs, rather than tacking on fees and surcharges.

I do agree with this to a degree. The only thing with fuel charges is that if the oil prices drop back below the $70 mark, you will not have to pay it. Like for my upcoming Dec trip, if they just upped fares, I would automatically have paid more for the cruise. If oil prices dont go too much higher, than I may not have to pay anything extra. If it gets built in the fare, they won't automatically lower the fare.

It is irritating though that between prepaid tips and the fuel charge (if it returns) you are already getting close to $300 on your account before you even sip your first silly umbrella drink.

So, since I mentioned the fuel surcharge $10 on RCL I went back to this is Carnival though. At least I try and be clear and not post incorrect info if I can help it or get over dramatic, like some threads lately. I was just making a innocent factual comment...geez. trying to get that post count up I guess to bother telling me this?

All I can say is wow

Very first words of my post.

By the way, Bill, I see you are headed to Port Orleans Riverside Resort. I was just there a couple months ago and I think that is now my favorite Disney World hotel. It is not as upscale as their deluxe hotels, but the grounds are very nice and relaxing and the staff is very very friendly. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Thank you. I am sure we will.:)

While in the parks I'll be reminded of the song they used to play in the dining room all the time. HOT HOT HOT!

Bill

Agreed. Carnival has already raised fares for this summer and as long as fuel cost does not spiral up out of control, I don't see any supplement.

Right, and don't you all think that all of those fare increases, some of which were substantially LARGE increases, already took the cost of fuel into account? Thus, a large part of the reason for these huge increases.

For what it's worth, the price of a barrel of oil has dropped a lot over the last few days, from over $86 down to the current $76 as I write this. One might speculate that change would decrease the likelihood of Carnival implementing a fuel surcharge.

Oil is down more than 10% from it's recent high so there probably won't be surcharges anytime soon. Don't worry about it. If you're concerned, then budget for it. If it doesn't happen, you'll have money for extra drinks. :D

Oil is down more than 10% from it's recent high so there probably won't be surcharges anytime soon. Don't worry about it. If you're concerned, then budget for it. If it doesn't happen, you'll have money for extra drinks. :D

I think that is fabulous advice! :D

Archived