Do you order multiple courses in the MDR?

I order what I want, which could be multiples of whatever, and don't much care what others think, much as I don't judge others that order what they desire. I've had great meals followed by 2-3 desserts. So what?

I wouldn't have 5 lobster tails just because that does seem gluttonous (OR GLORIOUS!) but have no problem ordering whatever I believe I can consume. I confine myself to 2 lobs. Say what you want about the quality of them, but living far from any salt water, I am a-ok with ship lobs. But since they pretend they are such a delicacy, I do not wish to appear piggy.

~~

I would be much more bothered by someone at my table that eats very little but has atrocious table manners - talk with mouth full, smacking lips, etc.

~~

Several years back, a friend of mine from another continent was upset by how terrible some of his countrymen had it, some with no or little food, and here we were in a US restaurant, living the high life. A US friend took a wad of cash out of his wallet and said, here, send this to them. Sadly, that's not possible due to corruption at many levels. US friend concluded "then it's mine to waste" and plunked down more $ on top of the generous tip he had already left. (note: I do not consider excessive tipping to be wasteful!!!)

Even in my own home, sometimes we just can't do Leftover Whatever another time or a recipe tanks. Most people don't plan to waste, but it happens. For those upset by that, stop by your favorite restaurant and ask the owner or kitchen manager about waste. Cruise ships do not hold a monopoly on this.

...I order one appetizer, and either a soup or salad (whichever appeals to me) and one entree (except on the HAL Eurodam where my DH and I shared an order of coconut shrimp. We had never had it and now which I had ordered that as my main entree...delicious!)

Costco sometimes has coconut shrimp that is quite decent. I think you can also find it at Outback, and of course, Red Lobster. It's one of my husband's faves.

Wow, I cannot believe the amount of food some folk eat. We are just back from Freedom Apr 18th sailing & we were absolutely disgusted at the food people ate and the waste that went on. To think that some many people in the world are starving ... ridiculous & shameful. It is not about the weight gain people, it should be about eating for nourishment & the odd bit of indulgence. I am greatly disturbed by some of the comments here. Not my issue & am sure I'll get blasted for it, but just making my opinion known. Anyone else share my opninion?

"Should be" is the part I don't like about your post. Should be ....For You.

For Me, a cruise is a fabulous opportunity to try things I would never order in a restaurant because I wouldn't risk not liking it (I hate sending things back or the awkward, oh crap, hope I don't ahve to pay for 2 entress...), or because it's way too expensive. A cruise is also Pure Indulgence for me in the food dept. oh, the choices!

I love being served, not having to cook nor clean up after. I love the different sauces and combinations and things I've never tried or not had this way or that ....! the whole dinner deal is a real treat for me. Call it buffet fare if you want, it beats what I put on the table, and we don't eat out much.

Not interested in blasting you, as you expressed your feelings, and nicely at that. i will say, however, that probably you shouldn't pay attention to what others are eating or wasting if it bothers you that much. Yeah, I know, it can be impossible.

Sorry you are disturbed by comments here, but prob'ly you aren't surprised, right? You saw it, now you read it.

Well alot of times I have ate a late lunch so I don't have room for multiples of anything. But most of the time I do get 2 desserts cuz they are generally real small. But on a day that I have not had a late lunch I would get 2 app and 1 entree or 1 app and 2 entrees depending on the menu. As far as other people I don't really care except for when I walk out the MDR and someone ordered a plate of food and it hasn't even been touched. But generally the only time I really notice other tables food is when something looks really good and I wish that I ordered that entree.

I just order one. A single serving is more than enough food for someone. This is just banquet food....nothing special. It's all mass produced. I would never think of ordering more than one item. I've seen people do this, but I really have to wonder why they need so much food.

I have a question. If I want to try a bite of a few things. But know I cant eat a large amount. Will they shrink the portions down to about the 4th of a size of a normal portion?

Thanks,

Adri

Just back from the Oasis and we noticed that the portion sized especially the entrees are HUGE compared to what they used to be. My DH would always order 2-3 appitizers and sometimes even 2 entrees but no way could he do that this trip. We hadn't cruised in a few years and were very surprised at how bit the portions are now.

will be sure to order at least two a night

On cruise ships the lobersters are known as chicken lobsters only 1 pounders the smallest ones a lobsterman can keep. As only the tail is being severed there it's much meat there. The five lobsters we eat that night were nothing (I'm the other guy that was at the table with Ronb). When i go for lobster it's a 3 pounder and I start with a large bowl of clam chowder than 2 pounds of steamers and french fries and corn on the cub. Go old new england clam bake. In fact plans this weekend are to drive up to Maine and have just that clam chowder, steamers and lobster. Oh yes I almost forgot on the cruise 4-11 on the Liberty we had an 8:30 sitting and every nite around 6 I would be in the Windjammer eating at the buffet, the night we had the five lobsters i had a 1/2 a large pizza at Sorrento's.

I have a question. If I want to try a bite of a few things. But know I cant eat a large amount. Will they shrink the portions down to about the 4th of a size of a normal portion?

Thanks,

Adri

Probably not. The plates are prepared in advance and it would take more effort and time to remove items or place a special order.

###

on a cruise to Alaska i watched a truck deliver crap legs to our ship while we were docked in Ketchikan. The next day we were in Juneau were I found this great place to have king crab legs. The person I was with and myself each had a 1 pound crab leg roll, than just a pound of crab meat just before we got back on the ship. That night I went to the buffet around 5 ate then to the main dinner at 8:30 that nite we had the King Crab Legs these legs were about 15 to 18 inches long and there were 3 sliced in half the long way. The third time our waiter brought us our plates he also brought a bigger plate that was piled with crab legs none of which went uneaten

As for the comment about wastage, there is going to be waste anyways. The kitchen prepares a set number of meals each night (just like all inclusive resorts do) - if passengers don't eat them they will get fed to the fish :) Either way, those extra meals aren't going to starving kids around the world.

The kitchen prepares that many because thats the typical amount eaten. if people ate less they would prepare less. Supply and demand.

The world has a finite amount of natural resources. We in the west have more than we need available to us. Some take and have more than they need and others dont (not just food but fuel, surplus consumer goods etc). I believe that we have a moral right to ensure that we leave the world fit for future generations which goes far beyond the right to something because we have paid for it.

Long term excessive overconsumption can lead to obesity which is a growing problem. In extreme cases obese people can have additional healthcare needs, cant work and rely on state benefits, cant care for their children etc.

I think that we have a moral obligation to think about our overall comsumption and moderate it. Now I am not saying that having 2 meals will lead to this if its occasionally on a holiday (and travel is again something we all need to think about!) For me its more what it says about our society and what we believe we have a 'right' to do.

I watched a tv programme about obesity the other night- there were families with obese 3 year olds who ate every meal out of the family home- starting with McDonalds for breakfast. Whole families who weighed more than 30 stones each (including teenagers). It was heartbreaking. I think we need to think about the values that we are giving our children as well.

Just my views- I know that many people wont agree.

we ordered multiple courses a couple of times when we couldn't decide on an appetizer or dessert but tried to make sure we ate all or at least most of it to prevent too much waste. We were eating alone so didn't impact eating time of other diners. we also ordered an extra dessert between us and a main in chops and portofino as the food was sooooooooo good.

I have a question, but before I ask...let me be clear I have no opinion one way or the other. So, this is just a question, nothing more.

How do the ships plan for these possible multiple servings? Do people at the later seatings sometimes find something on the menu is no longer available?

If multiple people order multiple dishes...however does the kitchen know how much to prepare...or not? Or how many supplies to bring?

Anyone have any idea?

I'm planning a cookout and I would not have a clue how much to buy if people start eating 8 hamburgers each.

How do the ships plan for these possible multiple servings? Do people at the later seatings sometimes find something on the menu is no longer available?

If multiple people order multiple dishes...however does the kitchen know how much to prepare...or not? Or how many supplies to bring?

Anyone have any idea?

I'm planning a cookout and I would not have a clue how much to buy if people start eating 8 hamburgers each.

I would guess and say they base the number of dinners on a percentage of people traveling. Whatever is left over, they serve in the WJ the next day in some sort of disguise or save it and make it into a soup. Voila!

A couple of years ago I discovered that the WJ has most of the items being offered in the MDR for dinner, we always take late seating in the MDR. Our grandson likes going to AO at night so we go to the WJ with him when it opens and have a snack, this allows us to try out the apps,soups etc... then we know which one we really want with our dinner which is about 3 hours later.

Since the WJ is a buffet you can really just take a taste of each one rather than wasting a whole serving.

One year my sister and I ordered whatever the fish was for dinner each night for the table to share, neither of us like fish so we don't eat enough of it. We were pleasantly surprised to find that we liked every one of them.

As for how much we order, I pick whatever I want from the menu and often don't bother with the entree because the other stuff is so appealing. But I don't pay much attention to what my table mates order other than to look at how interesting it looks plated up.

Archived