Whats the differences in ship classes?

For best reference, go to Carnival.com and click on Ships and Life Onboard then The Fun Ships. This has the breakdown of what ship is in what class and it also has links to see what each ship has to offer. Pretty much, there are 7 classes, 22 ships in total (23 if you include the Magic). A pretty good variety.

If you still have questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Here is what I know (listed by size)

Dream Class: Carnival Dream (plus 2 more under construction) largest Carnival ships at 130,000 tons, 1000+ feet long Newest ships. Somewhat diffferent layout than previous ships built 2009-2012, including wrap around deck. No tiered pool seating, laser shows at night.

Splendor Class: Carnival Splendor (113,000 tons) built 2008. Not sure how it differs from Conquest class. 900+ feet long.

Conquest Class: Conquest, Valor, Glory, Liberty, Freedom (110,000 tons) built 2002-2007. 952 feet long. Not sure how it differs from other classes.

Spirit Class: Spirit, Pride, Legend, Miracle (88,500 tons) built 2001-2004 these ships were built so they could go through the Panama canal, which the larger ships can not do. They are 963 feet long. The specialty restaurant is located right under the whale tail.

Destiny & Triumph Class: Destiny, Triumph, Victory (Destiny 101,300 tons Triumph & Victory 101,500 tons) all 893 feet long. Triumph and Victory have an extra deck in the forward section built 1996-2000. Destiny was the first cruise ship over 100,000 tons. No specialty restaurant on Destiny.

Fantasy Class: Fantasy, Ecstacy, Sensation, Fascination, Imagination, Inspiration, Elation, Paradise (70,367 tons) built 1990-1998. They are 855 feet long. These are used for shorter cruises. Some say they show their age, but they have updated facilities throught the "Evolutions of Fun" upgrades with water parks and the adult pool area in the back.

Hopefully somebody can chime in re differences on board in service, amenities, crowd flow, etc.

The Splendor and Dream class have more spa features (Cloud 9 Spa).

The Conquest class, Splendor class, and Dream class all have the seaside theatre.

Dream class is the only class with Cove balconies.

This is just a few things I thought I would add...

I'm not an expert on the classes -- I know there are many out there. I know I love the Spirit Class and didn't like the Fantasy class at all--- we can’t believe they built so many of them.

On the Holland Board there is a "sticky" that was done by one of their experts and it was great -- each class explained and even the differences between ships in the same class. It was very helpful to figure out all of those "Dam" ships. It would be great if someone with the knowledge would take to time to do it for Carnival

I'm not an expert on the classes -- I know there are many out there. I know I love the Spirit Class and didn't like the Fantasy class at all--- we can’t believe they built so many of them.

On the Holland Board there is a "sticky" that was done by one of their experts and it was great -- each class explained and even the differences between ships in the same class. It was very helpful to figure out all of those "Dam" ships. It would be great if someone with the knowledge would take to time to do it for Carnival

i agree with you on the Fantasy class. although the first and only cruise so far has been on the Elation, i wasnt impressed. at all. but im really hoping that the Legend lives up to the hype! im very excited to see for myself.

it really would be great if someone could explain the differences like that.

Not a huge fan of the Fantasy class either, but if you think about the time they were built, they had lots of fun features that was exactly what Carnival was all about. Some people still absolutely love the Fantasy class and don't like the newer ships. Do keep in mind that I am speaking in degrees of cruises here. I certainly would not turn down a cruise on one, but if I had a choice with similar itineraries and relatively similar prices, I would choose a differnt class or even line.

Class of ships comes from the fact that when they build one ship and then build cookie cutter coppies of it , it becomes a class of ships.

The cruiseline can get a better $$$$ and faster construction ,from the shipyard ordering several ships with the same basic design .:)

I keep an eye on several boards and I think there are a lot of Royals who wish there more Radiance class and Carnival folks really like the Spirit class - I think those two classes have the most loyal following.

We didn't like the Fantasy class because of the lack of outside decks. We enjoy the sea.

Archived