Katakalon excursion

English Rosa

We are a group of 4 on our first ever cruise. I have been assigned the role of organising the Katakalon day and am trying to organise a private excursion to Olympia and a nearby winery.

I have had several quotes from companies but before making any reservation I’m hoping that someone could recommend a company to ensure they actually exist.

I have contacted: George at taxikataklon and athens taxi/athens tour guide

Has anyone used these companies before, or have any other recommendation?

Thx

our friends rented a car and it cost 40 euros

they drove out to Olympia and beat the tour buses

I would recommend getting specific directions as the roads you drive along are narrow before you hit the major road.

George is the one!

For those in the know about Olympia....a few more questions please as need to offer several options to my group.

If we took the train, does this arrive in the village or by ruins? Is it then possible to walk between the two or is it too far/rough? Are cabs hanging around?

Hoping to have lunch at Olympia village

P.S. on another thread it seemed that you can see if other ships are in port that day, if that's correct, how on earth do you do that??

Many thanks again

George is the one!

For those in the know about Olympia....a few more questions please as need to offer several options to my group.

If we took the train, does this arrive in the village or by ruins? Is it then possible to walk between the two or is it too far/rough? Are cabs hanging around?

Hoping to have lunch at Olympia village

P.S. on another thread it seemed that you can see if other ships are in port that day, if that's correct, how on earth do you do that??

Many thanks again

Because the train's schedule is very limiting and far from ideal, and there is some walking to/from the stations, taking the train wastes alot of time and offers you limited scheduling flexibility. Thus I personally recommend renting a car. Picking up a car is cheap, close and straightforward, and the uncrowded roads are well-marked and easy to drive.

I would recommend getting specific directions as the roads you drive along are narrow before you hit the major road.

The local roads in Katakolo before hitting the highway are no different than many local roads here in the US. Not sure what you mean by "narrow", but the roads were fairly well-marked (you only make two turns from Katakolo to Olympia!) and didn't cause me any more angst than tooling around the neighborhood here in the US. :)

• 1 month later...

We used Andreas Stamos at olympiataxi@yahoo.gr as our driver and were extremely pleased. Excellent English and well-informed about the area. Renting a car looked simple and the roads were fine; however, when time is short and seeing and learning about the country and place is important, I feel a private driver is the way to go. We were equally interested in Olympia and the Mercouri Winery and were able to allocate our time to visit both. Andreas was an excellent driver and imparted a lot of knowledge about the area. If you need in-depth detail about the Olympia site, you will need a guide. Andreas gave us a great guide book to use and we were able to navigate the sight on our own just fine for our needs. The Mercouri Winery is a good stop. Nice tasting room. Wines, for our taste, were fair, but well worth the trip.

Hi English Rosa - If you are lucky enough to "snag" George, you will have a really great day. We were lucky enough to have him in May. He even took us to his house to show us how they live and gave the 2 ladies a rose from his garden. However, as another poster has already said, he is in high demand because he is excellent.

I would use the local train to and from Olympia (10 min. walk in Katakolon and 15 min. in Olympia). These were the schedules last year (www.ose.gr) : 12 Euros for 4 people

From Katakolon to Olympia:

E1382

Return Routes (from Olympia to Katakolon):

Ε387

Screwcork

We were in kataklon in april and tried to catch the train. However, the prinsendam docked late and we missed the 0830 am train. The next one at around 1100 would not have given us much time at olympia as we had to catch a train back around 1400 to get back and make the ships 1630 departure. If you can make the 0830 train, things will work ok. If not, rent a car....we did. Its an easy 45 minute drive to the ruins. Rental cars are available right as you walk off the dock...40 euros plus 10 euros for gas...its a no brainer....john hildebrandt

We used Andreas Stamos at olympiataxi@yahoo.gr as our driver and were extremely pleased. Excellent English and well-informed about the area. Renting a car looked simple and the roads were fine; however, when time is short and seeing and learning about the country and place is important, I feel a private driver is the way to go. We were equally interested in Olympia and the Mercouri Winery and were able to allocate our time to visit both. Andreas was an excellent driver and imparted a lot of knowledge about the area. If you need in-depth detail about the Olympia site, you will need a guide. Andreas gave us a great guide book to use and we were able to navigate the sight on our own just fine for our needs. The Mercouri Winery is a good stop. Nice tasting room. Wines, for our taste, were fair, but well worth the trip.

Can you please tell how much it costs ,we are a family of four and i am looking for the best and yet least expensive way to go to Katakolon.

The cheapest way is to take the train (nice train with aircondition).

We were also 4 people and 12 Euros is the price for 4 persons - including the return tickets! (In addition you have to pay 9 Euros each to enter the Olympic Museum and the Olympic site (up to the age of 20 is free). In other words we paid 30 Euros in total for 4 people!

Screwcork

The cheapest way is to take the train (nice train with aircondition).

We were also 4 people and 12 Euros is the price for 4 persons - including the return tickets! (In addition you have to pay 9 Euros each to enter the Olympic Museum and the Olympic site (up to the age of 20 is free). In other words we paid 30 Euros in total for 4 people!

Screwcork

Unfortunatly the train won t work for us ,we will be in port from 8:00 till 1:00,not enough time to get back on time.

We are a group of 4 on our first ever cruise. I have been assigned the role of organising the Katakalon day and am trying to organise a private excursion to Olympia and a nearby winery.

I have had several quotes from companies but before making any reservation I’m hoping that someone could recommend a company to ensure they actually exist.

I have contacted: George at taxikataklon and athens taxi/athens tour guide

Has anyone used these companies before, or have any other recommendation?

Thx

There were six of us in our group. We negotiated with two cab drivers at the dock to take us to Olympia, wait for us for 2 hours, and then to bring us back to Katakolon. If I remember correctly they did it for 30 Euros per person. Two hours was plenty of time to see Olympia. We spend 1 hour in the ruins and one hour in the museum. Upon our return to Katakolon we wandered around through the shops and stopped for lunch at a taverna there at the port...

• 3 weeks later...

We are a group of six and I am trying to organize a day in Katakolon. I am leaning towards renting a car. I have done some research and the things I would like to see are Olympia, the Mercouri Winery, and Chlemoutsi Castle. For anyone that has been there, is it possible to make it to all of these if we are in port from 8-5. If not which ones would you pick? I have been thinking that I would prefer seeing the castle and the winery, because the scenery looks beautiful, but would like to ge a perspective from someone that has been there.

Absolutely - go with George! Make sure it is George Letsios of Taxi Katakolon! We had an amazing day with George two years ago, and just most recently, he referred us to friends/guides in Athens and Mykonos who were also wonderful. George even called me when we were in both ports to make sure we were having a good time!

Hello!

You have to go with George, he's the best! I have been in Katakolon on 04/07/2010 with my girlfriend and another couple and we loved it!

He's a very nice person and he will give you all the atention. We went to Olympia and to Andreas Beach and the winery and it was superb!

I recomend him, the only problem you might have is that he is very good so he as a lot of reservations.

I contacted Andreas Stamos and he mentioned a winery as a stop which I assume is Mercouri Estate. Is this worth visiting and what is the cost for the wine tasting. We just did one in Uruguay so not in any hurry to do another.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I have been debating between renting a car, taking the train, or hiring a taxi to get my husband and I to Olympia. Can we make the decision at the last minute or should we plan in advance? I am mostly wondering if rental cars are available at the port should we decide at the last minute to go that route. Thanks!

We will be in Katakolon on October 28 on the Prinsendam. I checked online and found that 4 other ships will be in Katakolon on October 28 and it is a Greek holiday. It should be unbelievably crowded and half the stores will be closed for the holiday. We are taking a ship's tour to Olympia and the museum as a result, and I hope we can get into the museum with all the people in port that day. I hope you have better luck with crowding than we will have.

We will be in Katakolon on October 28 on the Prinsendam. I checked online and found that 4 other ships will be in Katakolon on October 28 and it is a Greek holiday.

Where do you find the information about how many ships will be in port with you? That could be very useful information.

Where do you find the information about how many ships will be in port with you? That could be very useful information.

I found the instructions on how to put in the port and the ships docking there on any day on one of these threads. Unfortunately I don't remember which one. On most days in the early Fall there were not 5 ships in port, more like 2 or maybe 3.

Archived