So I get this message from HAL about an upgrade....

Cruisinbanjo, what a wonderful stroke of luck! The Penthouses aboard HAL are simply gorgeous. I've toured them a couple of times and would love to experience a cruise in one. Are you going to surprise your wife with the Penthouse?

Many good wishes and congratulations.

Mrs M

Cruisinbanjo, what a wonderful stroke of luck! The Penthouses aboard HAL are simply gorgeous. I've toured them a couple of times and would love to experience a cruise in one. Are you going to surprise your wife with the Penthouse?

Many good wishes and congratulations.

Mrs M

Mrs M

Yes I intend to surprise her, she normally would not go for anything better than a regular Veranda cabin. She always says that is good enough for her, (well I never think so). Me on the other hand, I have simple tastes.... ....I always want the best! And, I always want to give her the best! So While I was content to be in an SS catagory for this trip, the fact that HAL made this available at a very good price gives me what I always want on both counts.

When I have done this in the past at first she frowns at me, but then I get a big hug & kiss..... ....worth every penny. I think SHE deserves it for putting up with me for thirty years! ;)

Mrs M

Yes I intend to surprise her, she normally would not go for anything better than a regular Veranda cabin. She always says that is good enough for her, (well I never think so). Me on the other hand, I have simple tastes.... ....I always want the best! And, I always want to give her the best! So While I was content to be in an SS catagory for this trip, the fact that HAL made this available at a very good price gives me what I always want on both counts.

When I have done this in the past at first she frowns at me, but then I get a big hug & kiss..... ....worth every penny. I think SHE deserves it for putting up with me for thirty years! ;)

What a sweetheart!!!! Enjoy your suite and congrats!!!:D

...Bear in mind that, while marketed as 'suites', they don't get the full suite privileges such as access to the Neptune Lounge, etc. This can reasonably confuse some people.

You are confused, sir, by Grades SS, SY and S. S gets Neptune Lounge.

That is all.

OK I broke down and went for HAL's last offer to buy the upgrade to a full suite. It was within $$ of my price, so I'm giving Mrs Banjo an extra treat for our 30th wedding anniversary......

.....Now the T/A calls back and says, oh, that wasn't for an S class suite, they gave you the Penthouse...... .....Thank YOU, even better!

Going to be quite the cruise! :D

This is so sweet and wonderful. You are quite the catch! I wish you both a wonderful vacation and another 30 years together!

Congratulations!!! You are gonna need new luggage. Oh, and a new wardrobe.. Enjoy! Happy Anniversary!

K

Going shopping this afternoon with Mrs Banjo to finish her wardobe for the trip and to buy me a few new shirts and a new pair of pants. I think new luggage would make her suspicious!

Thanks

as I like to select location (preferably aft) and have never been offered an upgrade. Might be willing if the location was right.

I think the fact that I have booked an S class suite on other occaisions had something to do with it. On this cruise I had booked an SS class, (not full suite or with Neptune lounge, etc), still a pretty nice room. So maybe they look at those things.

One thing I do know is that I had made it known that I would like to buy an upgrade if it became possible. HAL offered an upgrade a number of times to my T/A and I refused it because the price was outside of my $$$ comfort zone. When they came close to what I thought was a good price, I thought, "I had better bite or loose the opportunity. Still a lot of $$, but glad I did it!

Archived