Things to Know about Costa Maya

sammyt

Ports are what YOU make them.

so TRUE....what is GOOD for one isnt for the other...we are all LOOKING for something different...we ENJOYED a NICE relaxing BEACH DAY and knew before we got there that we would do this port on our own and end up at the BEACH....

sorry the OP didnt like the place but DONT STAY on the SHIP...if anything just get out and WALK around.

We've had awesome experiences both times we've been to Costa Maya.

If you're into culture go with "Native Choice" tours to Chocchoben mayan ruins and include the lunch with a local family. It was incredible! We booked that ahead of time.

Our second visit (spring break 2010) we went for adventure. We booked parasailing through SharkTours at the cruiseship port for $60/pp and afterwards they hooked us up with incredible snorkeling for $20/pp (we transferred from one boat to the next). The parasailing was very smooth and safe...they brought all of us gently back down so we landed on our feet on the boat (after dipping our legs into the water at our request part way through our sail). The tour sellers had us take the taxi/van to the last "dropoff" in the village. After snorkeling we had lunch at "Nacional Beach Club", which was very clean but still fairly cheap and right by where we were dropped off. Then we lounged on their pretty pristine beach, under their umbrellas, and got a $20 beach massage. It was a great day!

We LOVED Majahual!!! Lovely people.... so relaxing!!! They brought food and drink all day and money was never mentioned until we got ready to leave. We couldn't believe the low price. We visited at length with our "waiter" and tipped him about $20. We also couldn't resist some of the vendors.... they were all very polite and a brief no gracias, or just a shake of our head, sent them on their way... we didn't buy anything, but tipped many of the children..... they are so darn cute!! and spend all day in the sun hoping for a little money... if you are interested in charity at home, spreading a few dollars around this gorgeous island won't mean you don't get to eat when you get back to the states. We're going again in November and January.... guess we must like it!!

Truth is, we haven't been on an island yet that isn't our favorite!!

Ports are what you make of them. Research is key. Attitude is everything.

Simple, short and to the point. Gotta say this is some of the best advice I've read on these boards! Mind if I borrow it :D!

We loved our time at Maya Chan (went 2 times), but you should be prepared for seagrass- that's the way it is in that part of Mexico right now- it's easy to avoid and at Maya Chan they have a nice man who spends all his time raking up any grass that reaches the beach. The Ostrows really make everyone feel like they are very special guests- they are lovely people. We were glad to read on CC that they were able to buy the place next door. ;)

Glad I read this all the way and I took notes!

We were in Costa Maya a few years back and had to partially agree with the OP. We had a snorkel tour booked and when we walked through 'town' it did seem like an added on port. Tour people did not show up and we hooked up with Pork Chop who ran home for his motor and took us out for $5 each. My husband and I could only go in one at a time as one of us had to stay in the boat to help Pork Chop bail.

I bought a dress and my husband bought sunglasses from the vendor with Mexican WalMart painted on his stall.

Before that cruise I had only read that it was a port put together just for cruise ships. Now I am reading different things and look forward to a different trip next month. Not that I didn't enjoy it last time- the story is a great one!- but was thinking it would be more of a ship day this time.

Thanks!

sportsmum:

Walk thru the "tourism village" and find an exit (be persistent), and grab a taxi ($3 usd per person) to get to Majahual (sp?) and have a beach day.

Or look thru this forum for info on "The Native Choice" if you want a great tour of the Chacchoben ruins.

We just returned from Costa Maya on the Celebrity Solstice. (great ship!!!). We liked Costa Maya. It does have hurricane damage and is so sad to see all the trees dead. The port area has a sandy area looking over the beach with grass huts and a nice swimming pool with volleyball net right on ocean. You can not get in ocean because of rocky ledge. Beautiful blue water. there is also a bigger pool with swim up bar. We were only ship in port so it was not crowded. We took cab to Mahahual ($3 out and $2 back). Got very nice chairs and umbrella for $5 pp at Tapas. You can walk down walkway and find let crowded places. Very clean and friendly. so relaxing with lovely breeze. You can go on snorkeling tours with dive shop on boardwalk. Friends took ship tour to ruins and said mosquitos were bad. the locals need our money. I would definitely go back.

Thanks, CowPrincess- I think we walked there last time and took a cab back. That's where they do the massages at the bars and have the little kiosks, correct? That's where we found Pork Chop!

Yep, beach day and snorkel- sounds just right.

Are there tour/excursion companies booths set up outside the ship? I just hate to pay the prices the ship wants, when i can get the same excursion for half-price. Plus, they probably make more off of us, rather than having to pay the cruiseline a percentage. Also, is there waverunner rentals around? My son an I love to ride those things!:eek:

Are there tour/excursion companies booths set up outside the ship? I just hate to pay the prices the ship wants, when i can get the same excursion for half-price. Plus, they probably make more off of us, rather than having to pay the cruiseline a percentage. Also, is there waverunner rentals around? My son an I love to ride those things!:eek:

The independents are kept OUT of the tourism village. A few short blocks down the road is another area that has stores and such, but we did not see any tour vendors there. We didn't see any tour vendors when we went to Majahual, but we were the only ship in port that day AND we were very late docking, so most places were only starting to open and get set up (hurriedly!!!) as we got there. Also extremely heavy seas that day, so the kayak rental place was not open.

There are many suggestions for all-inclusives on the forum, as well as high praise for Native Choice.

Its sort of a relaxing "beach bum" port. I liked Costa Maya after the hustle and bustle of excursions.

Was nice to just get a ride to Mahajual and sit, drink some Mexican diet Coke and beer, and look at the ocean.

I would go back--and would even bring my kids.

When we were there we took a cab to the town south of the port. Encountered a gentleman who offered horseback riding for our two children. For $30 they rode on the beach for about an hour. We enjoyed beers on the palm shaded beach. It was a memorable day. The portside "tourist village" is to be avoided, IMHO, except perhaps for a parting beverage.

I have a few questions that i'm hoping y'all can answer....

sportsmum:

Walk thru the "tourism village" and find an exit (be persistent), and grab a taxi ($3 usd per person) to get to Majahual (sp?) and have a beach day.

What do you mean by "be persistent"? Is there someone near the exits that strongly suggest you don't leave the fake village the cruise ships created?

There are reports in another thread that Cha-Chi has now re-opened. THis is the free beach "resort" next to the port that you can access through the "hole in the fence".

could you please explain this? i have no clue what you're meaning by the hole in the fence lolol. I might spend all day searching for an actual hole in a fence lol.

I've read on here that 100% agave is a great place to go to get authentic food. I've also read that the vendors on the beach are fine with you sitting on the beach in front of their establishments as long as you buy something from them. If i eat at 100% agave, will just buying a drink or two at those other establishments be okay?

Which is better to take to Mahahual? The buses or taxis? What's the difference?

Lastly, from what i've read, there are several "drop off" points in Mahahual. Which is the best one to get off at? Also how long does it take to walk from one end of the beach @ Mahahual to the other? (if i got off at the last drop off and worked my way up to the first drop off point)

The pool in the "fake village" looks inviting so we might visit that for a bit, but i am truly excited about visiting Mahahual. There's going to be 1 other ship in port when we are so i'm hoping we can find a bit of a break from the ship crowds there.

What do you mean by "be persistent"? Is there someone near the exits that strongly suggest you don't leave the fake village the cruise ships created?

There's no one trying to keep you inside, but the way the exits are designed, they are difficult to find. At least they were for us :) You might be smarter or more adept at finding your way around :D So "don't give up, keep looking" is what I meant by be persistent.

Here I was expecting to read a nice post on Costa Maya. LOL Not sure what the OP wants in a stop . We have been on 10 cruises except for Passion Island. this is our favorite place. We love to go downtown find a place and just chill out. Our last cruise I showed a bunch of CC friends the downtown area which they didn't know existed and loved it as well. I have to say it was a lot more quaint before the hurricane but how that is anyones fault. They are just trying to make a living. They rebuilt it and its more modern now. and cleaner. Personally I would much rather stop here than the Bahamas but I guess to each his own.

Here I was expecting to read a nice post on Costa Maya. LOL Not sure what the OP wants in a stop . We have been on 10 cruises except for Passion Island. this is our favorite place. We love to go downtown find a place and just chill out. Our last cruise I showed a bunch of CC friends the downtown area which they didn't know existed and loved it as well. I have to say it was a lot more quaint before the hurricane but how that is anyones fault. They are just trying to make a living. They rebuilt it and its more modern now. and cleaner. Personally I would much rather stop here than the Bahamas but I guess to each his own.
When the OP leaves home he or she has to learn to leave home home!

thanks! i was picturing some big ol bouncer at the exit door with his arms crossed, a scowl on his face, giving us a shake of his head. lolol

He he....that's too funny! I was kind of thinking the same thing when I read that...... imagining myself standing there begging the big guy to, PLEASE, let me out of here!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: I want to go to the beach and you are NOT stopping me!!!

This thread is very informative, thanks. We missed Costa Maya in 2007 because of the hurricane, and are looking forward to a day there in December. Our ship is not huge, so hopefully if there aren't lots of other ships (right now there aren't any others listed on cruisett.com).

We have the luxury of excursions that are included in the price. Most of them look good, but have to weigh this against just going into Majahual and chilling.

There's a beach power snorkel, there's a clear kayak beach escape, atv and powerboat trips, a trip to Uchben Kah eco park, a beach escape to Uvera Beach Club, and two different Mayan sites: Chacchoben and Kohunlich.

We want to see at least one Mayan site on this trip. We've been to Lamanai in Belize, and it was amazing. We have the choice of Quirigua in Guatemala this time as well.

Any comments on any of this?

Wendythewanderer, we did a 14 day cruise, and got to Costa Maya twice. This is what we did on our cruise for shorex:

Tour up the Rio Dulce in Guatemala

Snorkelling and kayaking in Roatan

Chacchoben Ruins in Costa Maya

Private cab in Puerto Cortes

... and some wandering/lame things in Key West and Belize

My absolute favorite day, the pics of which always bring a smile to my face, was the day we "chilled" in Majahual. Second would be the kayaking in Roatan. That's just my opinion, though. We also really enjoyed the Chacchoben Ruins. You might have time for both depending on how long a port time you have, and how long the ruins tour is.

When we go back (which will be as long as it takes me to forget the horrendous flights :) ) we will again spend the day on the beach. And that day on the beach will be the reason we return.

Wendythewanderer, we did a 14 day cruise, and got to Costa Maya twice. This is what we did on our cruise for shorex:

Tour up the Rio Dulce in Guatemala

Snorkelling and kayaking in Roatan

Chacchoben Ruins in Costa Maya

Private cab in Puerto Cortes

... and some wandering/lame things in Key West and Belize

My absolute favorite day, the pics of which always bring a smile to my face, was the day we "chilled" in Majahual. Second would be the kayaking in Roatan. That's just my opinion, though. We also really enjoyed the Chacchoben Ruins. You might have time for both depending on how long a port time you have, and how long the ruins tour is.

When we go back (which will be as long as it takes me to forget the horrendous flights :) ) we will again spend the day on the beach. And that day on the beach will be the reason we return.

Thanks for the info, and sorry to go off topic, but there isn't a way to send a direct message, can you please tell me more about the kayaking and snorkeling in Roatan. I am overweight and I worry about having to get in and out of a kayak to snorkel. Are they are two different locations, or together? Is the kayaking hard (like lots of waves or long distance) or is it pretty easy?

Thanks, Cowprincess. We also did the Rio Dulce/Livingston trip last time, and it was amazing. Just loved it.

In Costa Maya, we're there from 8 to 4, late in the cruise, so we'll be feeling ready to chill perhaps. We can book an excursion now and always cancel later if we run out of steam. Last day is a seaday, which are always a delight, so probably try to book one of the Mayan sites.

I guess I'll ask about Quirigua over on the Guatemala board. I want to see one Mayan site this trip, loved Lamanai last time.

Archived