Vancouver in 24 Hours??

CEWayfarer

Hi!

We are flying in one day early before an Alaskan cruise in June. We've always wanted to spend some time in Vancouver, but this trip will be a 'quickie'...kind of a 'sneak peek' at a possible future vacation.

So, we have about 24 hours to get a 'taste' of Vancouver....

We arrive about 1:00 in the afternoon, and board our ship about the same time the next day.

What would you do, where would you stay and where would you eat if you had 24 hours to 'experience' Vancouver?

I'm also posting this on the Vancouver Board.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks so much!

If you want to get an idea of what Vancouver has to offer, you might look at the Vancouver Trolley Company. They have a hop-on/hop-off trolley tour of the city. It's an all day ticket but if you just want to sit on the trolley it takes about 2 hours for the entire circuit. They seem to hit most of the high spots. This way you can see everything and then get off to explore what really appeals to you.

We'll be getting into Vancouver the night before you, with just enough time to check into the hotel and go to bed. As of right now, the only thing I know for sure that I want to see is the Dr. Sen Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Gardens. We haven't decided on anything else yet.

We're not usually one for bus tours, but we did a short three hour one last summer in Vancouver. We had just gotten off our southbound cruise, had been on the road two weeks already and figured we'd be too tired to do much else. It was just right to get a little introduction to the city. We made a few stops that allowed getting off the bus and then had a better idea of what we wanted to go back to over the next couple of days. It was also great to stay right downtown, so we were close to everything (we were at the Four Seasons). That way, you can use what little time you have quite efficiently. Just walking to dinner from our hotel, gave us a nice feel for the city.

We'll be getting into Vancouver the night before you, with just enough time to check into the hotel and go to bed. As of right now, the only thing I know for sure that I want to see is the Dr. Sen Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Gardens. We haven't decided on anything else yet.

The other couple that we're travelling with have been to Vancouver before, so they aren't as into seeing the sights as we are, and aren't much help with the 'need to see' list.

The one thing he raves about and says he can't wait to do again is a trip to a dim sum restaurant that they loved when they visited last. I said, "Dim sum?? What about Canadian food??", without even thinking!

If he remembers the name of the place, I'll pass it along...

I would not miss a visit to Stanley Park and a leisurely stroll around Canada Place which you can do before boarding your ship. Granville Island is another nice place to visit but you will probably need more time. There is just so much to see such as gas town and China town. There are several really great web sites done by individuals in Vancouver that will highlite all there is to see and do. No matter what you choose you will have a wonderful time in a really great city !!!!

The one thing he raves about and says he can't wait to do again is a trip to a dim sum restaurant that they loved when they visited last. I said, "Dim sum?? What about Canadian food??", without even thinking!

lol. It's true You'll find some of the best Chinese food in North America, in Vancouver. Although I love dim sum (we have some great places here in Seattle), we're planning to eat dinner in Chinatown, the night before our cruise.

I agree that Stanley Park is a must. Lovely paths to walk or bike. Granville Island is fun (wonderful farmers' market with lots of yummy stuff to taste). Also, once we took a bus out to the Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia. Fantastic! Vancouver is a beautiful city. Whatever you do, you'll most likely leave with the thought that you'll definitely be back to get to the things you weren't able to.

Have fun!

Archived