Thinking about St. John and how to go

IMDORY

The ferry would be per person but I don't think the cab ride would be $20/pp. If this is the case the ship (NCL) St. John on your own for $39/pp is a better deal.

All of the taxi and ferry prices Anne listed are as she said, roundtrip, per person.

This is still the preferred way to go for those of us who want to get the most time in STJ.

All of the taxi and ferry prices Anne listed are as she said, roundtrip, per person.

This is still the preferred way to go for those of us who want to get the most time in STJ.

The ferry ride is like 30 minutes from Red Hook, how long is it from where the ship docks. I thought about taking the ships excursion to get over and doing my own to get back. Wonder what the departure times are for leaving and returning through the ship?

From RH it's 15 - 20, from town or the dock 45.

The RH ferry leaves and returns on the hour, you can check your cruise excursion for their times.

Says the total time is four hours and you will have 2 1/4 hours of your own time in St. John

Says the total time is four hours and you will have 2 1/4 hours of your own time in St. John

It depends on the cruiseline and the time you have in port as to how much time you will have in St. John's. We reserved the St John's on Your Own tour for our May cruise on The Jewel of the seas. The tour description for our sailing says this:

Enjoy a scenic narrated roundtrip ferry ride along St. Thomas' picturesque southcoast, passing beaches, coves, hotels & luxury villas from ship pierside to Cruz Bay.

Once in St. John and armed with your Island information package, enjoy a minimum of 4.5 hours of personal leisure time to explore this beautiful emerald isle. St. John is 2/3rds National Park with many glistening white sandy beaches to choose from along with historical sites. The famous Trunk Bay is where you can hire snorkel equipment and enjoy the snorkel trail. Cinnamon Bay beach is a more private location with its historical "Arawak" archaelogical site. Hawksnest Beach was a flim location - so many options! Taxis are readily available for island tours- visit Annaberg Ruins and you'll still have time to swim, relax on one of our beaches, before heading to Cruz Bay.

In Cruz Bay take time to browse around the many boutique and custom stores specializing in local products. There are also many restaurants to choose from American, Spanish and local cusine... with over 4 hours in St. John it is limitless! On the return trip you will be offered a cool refreshing fruit or rum punch drink before arriving back to the ship.

Note: Tour durations may vary depending on ship's arrival and departure time from port.

Our tour begins at 10AM and returns to the ship at 4:30 PM. Sailaway is at 5 PM. We don't have to worry about battling afternoon traffic to return to the ship on time. My DH does not like to rush off the ship first thing int he morning, so this works in our case. 4.5 hours is plenty of time for us in St Johns. Less time would probably not be.

The bottom line is check the actual description of the tour on your own cruise planner for the amount of time the ship excursion will give you in St. John's. Don't go by what others say here. Each person may have a different time frame on their cruise.

Yes taxi to Secret Harbor and Sapphire beaches are $20pp roundtrip and taxis are available for return.

SH is a small, very calm bay and home to a condo resort with a dive center and a restaurant. No shade is available for day visitors but otherwise a nice calm bay.

When you say no shade at Secret Harbor do you mean no trees and no umbrellas for rent for the day?

My costs, as Augie and Blue Water noted, were per person roundtrip. The benefit of going on your own is that you can come and go as you please. When we are alone, we are the first ones off the ship and close to the last ones back on the ship. We definitely have more time on the island than what you can get from the ship's excursion.

However, I think the ships excursion that provides a transfer from the ship instead of from Red Hook or Crown Bay is a really good deal and offers a nice level of comfort where you don't have to worry about time. We are doing a ship excursion next week and will have about three hours or so on St. John. When we go on our own, we have about five. But we are traveling with a group and the ship's excursion is a great way to go with a bunch of people.

Weigh all your options and do what's best for you.

It depends on the cruiseline and the time you have in port as to how much time you will have in St. John's. We reserved the St John's on Your Own tour for our May cruise on The Jewel of the seas. The tour description for our sailing says this:

Enjoy a scenic narrated roundtrip ferry ride along St. Thomas' picturesque southcoast, passing beaches, coves, hotels & luxury villas from ship pierside to Cruz Bay.

Once in St. John and armed with your Island information package, enjoy a minimum of 4.5 hours of personal leisure time to explore this beautiful emerald isle. St. John is 2/3rds National Park with many glistening white sandy beaches to choose from along with historical sites. The famous Trunk Bay is where you can hire snorkel equipment and enjoy the snorkel trail. Cinnamon Bay beach is a more private location with its historical "Arawak" archaelogical site. Hawksnest Beach was a flim location - so many options! Taxis are readily available for island tours- visit Annaberg Ruins and you'll still have time to swim, relax on one of our beaches, before heading to Cruz Bay.

In Cruz Bay take time to browse around the many boutique and custom stores specializing in local products. There are also many restaurants to choose from American, Spanish and local cusine... with over 4 hours in St. John it is limitless! On the return trip you will be offered a cool refreshing fruit or rum punch drink before arriving back to the ship.

Note: Tour durations may vary depending on ship's arrival and departure time from port.

Our tour begins at 10AM and returns to the ship at 4:30 PM. Sailaway is at 5 PM. We don't have to worry about battling afternoon traffic to return to the ship on time. My DH does not like to rush off the ship first thing int he morning, so this works in our case. 4.5 hours is plenty of time for us in St Johns. Less time would probably not be.

The bottom line is check the actual description of the tour on your own cruise planner for the amount of time the ship excursion will give you in St. John's. Don't go by what others say here. Each person may have a different time frame on their cruise.

We are there from 8:00AM - 4:00PM

The cost of the ship offered tour is $39. Total time says 4 hours and the description is

Join this comfortable tour boat, pier side for an informative narrated journey and enjoy the sights while underway to the unspoiled island of St John. Upon arrival, you'll have approximately 2 1/4 hours of free time where you may leisurely visit the picture perfect village of Cruz Bay, shop, make a visit to the National Park Trunk Bay Beach or visit the spectacular Westin Hotel – the choices are yours. This is the most convenient, traffic free way to visit St. John from St. Thomas. The tour vessel leaves right from your ship and returns you to your ship!

The cost of the ship offered tour is $39. Total time says 4 hours and the description is

Join this comfortable tour boat, pier side for an informative narrated journey and enjoy the sights while underway to the unspoiled island of St John. Upon arrival, you'll have approximately 2 1/4 hours of free time where you may leisurely visit the picture perfect village of Cruz Bay, shop, make a visit to the National Park Trunk Bay Beach or visit the spectacular Westin Hotel – the choices are yours. This is the most convenient, traffic free way to visit St. John from St. Thomas. The tour vessel leaves right from your ship and returns you to your ship!

So, your time in St. John's is shorter than ours. Our tour is 6 1/2 hours total with 4 1/2 hours in St. John's. You will have to decide if 2 1/4 hours will give you enough time to do what you want to do on the island. If it won't, then going on your own may be the preferable way to go. For us, the 4 1/2 hours on the island is sufficient. Since dashing off the ship right away isn't what we want to do on a port intensive itinerary the ship's tour is best for us. It's nice to know there are alternatives.:)

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Maybe we should have a reunion on St. John!!! :). I've been gone for 34 years but still get back. Or maybe we should all go on a cruise that goes to st Thomas so we can go to St. John ! Dad was an Allen grad. I went to Central Catholic. Small world!

Edited by Host Anne

Thinking of taking a cab tour of St John also.

What highlights should we not miss in your opinion?

Thanks.

we don't mind the fee for trunk, it is an excellent cause.

I have memories of our times on st. John all year long as i make a shutterfly calendar out of our cruises, i get more questions/compliments on my photos from st. John.

In 2012 we took and island tour, so worth it! Best leaving the driving to others based on the time we had on the island and the wealth of information we obtained on this thread.

Susan

Hi Anne....couple of questions for our resident "expert" :) We will be in St. Thomas in March from 11-7. There are 10 of us (2 families with kids 13-18). We've done the Red Hook ferry many times, so we are familiar with the transportation of the islands. The other family has never been to St. Thomas or St. John. Wondering what you recommend for our group? DIY or private tours? We love Trunk Bay, but there are 4 ships that day...are the others just as nice? We are sentimental to Trunk since we were there on our honeymoon 22 years ago. Here's the wrench....we would take the 5:00 ferry back to Red Hook, but my husband and I want to go to Frenchman's Reef (our honeymoon hotel) for a quick picture at the gazebo. Is this possible? I remember it being pretty close to the ships. We will be on the Carnival Dream (3/21 dep). Thanks for any advice! (From anyone) :cool:

The cost of the ship offered tour is $39. Total time says 4 hours.

Typically this does not include taxi from Cruz Bay to the Beach ($12 pp round trip) or entrance to Trunk Bay ($4 pp). You could do this cruise portion on your own for $34 pp ($20 pp taxi and $14 pp ferry), but for $5 more avoiding traffic and knowing you are not going to get left behind is worth it to me.

:confused:

I found out about the ferry ride/Cinnamon Bay last night and was really excited to do it. Now I'm wondering if it will give us enough time. We dock in St Thomas, not sure where, and are in from 10am-6pm. I like the idea of doing it ourselves and the adventure of getting there, just not sure how much time we will actually have.

Ferry ride, Cinnamon Bay? Please explain more?

:confused:

I found out about the ferry ride/cinnamon bay last night and was really excited to do it. Now i'm wondering if it will give us enough time. We dock in st thomas, not sure where, and are in from 10am-6pm. I like the idea of doing it ourselves and the adventure of getting there, just not sure how much time we will actually have.

Ferry ride, Cinnamon Bay? Please explain more?

Cinnamon Bay is just past Trunk Beach I believe. I read this review on another topic

"Megan's Bay is really overhyped and its not as pretty as it looks. Have been to Coki, a nice alternative. Sapphire Beach is pretty and not as crowded. However if you want to hit a home run take a taxi to Red Hook, ferry to St John's and hit Cinnamom Bay, absolutely gorgeous and one of the best kept secrets. We were there in November...nice sand, beautiful water, very quiet and uncrowded. Expect a cost of about $45 round trip per person that includes the cost of taxis round trip and the ferry round trip. Taxi there is about $10 a head, ferry about $6 each way taxi to the beach about $6-8 each so about $45....but worth every penny. As an alternative if you stay on St Thomas take the gondola ride up to Paradise Point, a scenic overlook of the harbor then come down and cab to Sapphire Beach. Its a good alternative to going to St John's, been in St Thomas 6 times and Paradise Point is spectacular, about $20 pp for a ticket then the cost of cab ride round trip should be around $10-$12 each way but ask the taxi driver as they have posted rates that are controlled. Senor Frogs is new and right at the dock by the ship."

I think a few others have mentioned it in this thread as well.

I checked the reviews on Trip Advisor and they were very good. There is food, and non-motorized sports equipment to rent. Snorkling isn't as good as Trunk Beach but there is some.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g147411-d149046-Reviews-Cinnamon_Bay-Virgin_Islands_National_Park_St_John_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

However, I just read a post on the last page saying 7 hours isn't really long enough to go to SJ, and we are only in port for 8 hours.

• 2 months later...

We took the $2 bus to the Red Hook Ferry. I think at most it took 5 minutes more than the taxi, except we did have to walk to the stop, but it wasn't bad. The at St. Johns we took a taxi to Trunk Bay. I can't remember how long, about 10-15 minutes? It isn't too far, but you couldn't walk and the roads are curvy. But amazing views between the trees. It was $6 to trunk bay per person. They recommended when we got there to go to the bay past Cinnamon bay because trunk bay was choppy so not good for snorkeling. I hadn't researched that bay and wasn't sure if it had bathroom as, etc. So we chose to go to trunk bay. They were right, the water was not too clear. So even though we snorkeled and had fun, underwater was hard to see. However, just for swimming and enjoying the beach it was amazing. To get to the other bay it would have been $2 more each taxi wise, so $4 more each total taxi. But trunk bay has an entrance cost of $4 so it would have been the same. Our ship was suppose to dock at 7, but it was closer to 7:30-7:45 before they let anyone off. We originally wanted to make the 8am ferry, but since it was so late docking, we knew we couldn't. So we were not the first wave off the ship, but got off about 8:00. We got to Red Hook and had at least a 20 minute wait for the 9am ferry. I am quite sure we were in the water at trunk bay before 10am, but I don't have a precise time. We swam from 10-1:00 ish. Showered off all the sand in their showers and was back on a taxi at 1:20-1:30ish and on the 2pm Red Hook Ferry back. We even had a short time to window shop before boarding the ferry. We took the bus back from Red Hook to Kmart and used Kmart's WiFi to connect with our kids. We felt our 3 hours at the beach were plenty. It seemed longer, and we were back well ahead of the time for the ship. We were suppose to have 10 hours, we were given 9, but we acted like we had 8 so we wouldn't be late.