Car rental, Orlando

soarer

We're doing our first caribbean cruise on Emerald in February 2011, with 3 days in Orlando beforehand.

Is it possible/practical to rent a car in Orlando, and leave it in FLL on departure day?

Sure, why not? Usually there are no drop charges for rentals in Florida. I had a one-way rental from Jacksonville to FLL with no charge, and there's got to be less back-and-forth rental car traffic out of Jacksonville than there would be out of Orlando. It was very easy to drop off the morning of the cruise, as if the port were any closer to the airport, you could just connect the other end of the jetway to the ship and walk from plane to your cabin! I had Avis, whose dropoff garage is right in the terminal so I just popped downstairs and outside and hopped in a taxi and was at the port in 7 minutes.

I had Avis, whose dropoff garage is right in the terminal so I just popped downstairs and outside and hopped in a taxi and was at the port in 7 minutes.

Avis is one of several companies that provide a free shuttle ride from FLL to the pier after you return a car at FLL.

We too are doing the same ie a pre-cruise stay in Orlando

We plan an early breakfast, the drive to FLL, drop off at airport and transfer to cruise terminal. If we leave around 7.30am we expect to be at the port around 12 to 1 ish. I really don't think you need to be there the day before.

If we leave around 7.30am we expect to be at the port around 12 to 1 ish. I really don't think you need to be there the day before.

I agree, we've done the drive a number of times in each direction and there really is no need to waste a night in FLL before the cruise.

Oops!

I meant cruise terminal, not ferry!

(can you tell my sailing highlight so far is crossing the English channel?)

Then you are going to have a wonderful time, as a Princess cruise is ever so slightly different to your previous ship experience:D

Archived