Seward Alaska Train - what do we do with our bags?

macdaman

Wife and I are cruising from Vancouver to Seward and will be taking the Coastal Railroad from Seward to Anchorage. Having never cruised before, what do we do with our bags from the time they kick us off the ship until the train leaves that afternoon? Can you check your bags and then come back?

Mark and Terri

RJB32...please advice where and how storage is available...

According to their website:

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel/TrainInformation/BaggagePolicy/tabid/96/Default.aspx

Luggage storage is NOT available at any train station.

OP: a couple of questions...

Are you arranging your train transfer through the cruise line or independently? Are you taking the GoldStar service?

What date and time do you disembark? What time is your flight out of Anchorage?

OP: a couple of questions...

Are you arranging your train transfer through the cruise line or independently? Are you taking the GoldStar service?

What date and time do you disembark? What time is your flight out of Anchorage?

We will be arranging independently. We arrive in Seward on the 13th (on Millie) and don't fly out of Anchorage until the next evening. We haven't decided whether it was worth the extra $s to ride Goldstar (almost double).

I'll see if I can call directly. I just thought with so many people recommending this train ride that someone else had already skinned this cat. There is only one train a day northbound and all the ships disembark hours before that train leaves.

Thanks,

Mark and Terri

Grrr. I hate it when you get unofficial/official responses.

I called the railway reservation line and spoke with a pleasant enough person. They assured me that we could check our bags when we got off the ship. When I asked about the BOLD print on their baggage policy page that would seem to suggest otherwise, she seemed a bit confused and put me on hold. She came back and again stated we could check our bags early but asked me where that statement was on the web site. I had to walk her through getting to that page. She said she would mention it to her supervisor and that it should have mentioned that this was not the case on the Seward to Anchorage run.

My MIL is making the trip with us and she has difficulty walking without assistance more than 100 feet or so. If it turns out we can't check our bags, I'm going to take some pictures of her in her wheelchair towing a couple of bags behind her and post them here on the site for all others to see. :p

Thanks,

Mark and Terri

Archived