Legend: Big Stroller or umbrella???

Wilwant247

We are sailing on the Legend next week with my 1 yr old niece. After pushing the umbrella stroller around today, I was thinking her normal stroller would be better: it reclines and has a small storage basket. My question is.....Will it be a bigger hassle trying to navigate the halls with a full size stroller? Anyone have experience with this ship? Thanks!

We did RCI Monarch of the Seas with our big stroller...no problem! The basket and recline made it worth its weight in gold.

Maneuvering was not a problem...it was the passengers that didn't have the patience to just let us get out of their way.

We had wondered the same thing, so I started doing some review research. I found most people said take the umbrella, but there were a few that said they took their big stroller and didnt find it a problem. Some took a big one and tons of trouble. Because we didnt own an umbrella, only a Graco (which we like ok, except for the way it buckles her in), we went shopping. We ended up buying a Maclaren Quest Sport. We love it! The wheels on it are wondering, and a very comfy reclining position if she wants to nap. There is not a lot of storage space, but you can buy accessories for it that hang off the back. Also, no cup holder, but one that u can buy, has two cup holders on top. My dil likes it so much, she will use it most of the time at home. It cost us $219 at brus, but you might could find one cheaper. They did have one there for $159, but dil wanted the one trimmed in pink instead of the other colors. Our most important thing was a compact stroller with great wheels! This one can roll in anything and manuvers great!

I'm a fan of the big stroller for cruising - more comfortable for kids and easier to handle. I cruised many times with a huge Graco DuoGlider (tandem). As long as it's no wider than a wheelchair, you shouldn't have too much trouble. On some ships it fit through the cabin door and I parked it against a wall (in our regular-sized outside cabin). If it didn't fit through the door, I'd collapse it and store it against the cabin wall that way.

Best,

Mia

Umbrella. The others are just too large and are harder to move around. The regular ones are hard to manuever in the buffet or dining room and the hallways are narrow. You can't park it in the hallway.

We just got off the Fantasy, a smaller ship than the Legend, and we took our big Graco stroller. Granted, we didn't take it around the ship as we didn't need it. But it came in quite handy elsewhere because of the storage basket. I am glad we had our big one. We did have to fold it up to get it in the cabin, but once we did it fit fine in our closet.

We are sailing on the Legend next week with my 1 yr old niece. After pushing the umbrella stroller around today, I was thinking her normal stroller would be better: it reclines and has a small storage basket. My question is.....Will it be a bigger hassle trying to navigate the halls with a full size stroller? Anyone have experience with this ship? Thanks!

Even at home I never use the umbrella stroller because I find the big stroller so much easier to navigate with, and so much more comfortable for my son, so we took it when we cruised.

We didn't use it as much as I expected actually, because our son was 23 months old so he just walked around, but it was nice to have for long port days so he could sit when he got tired of running around, and even nap in it.

Of course it is much heavier and bulkier than the umbrella stroller, but we didn't have trouble navigating the ship or the corridors (unless a staff member was coming with a cart in the oposite direction), and we just stored it by the bed and the wall (kind of blocking the night table on that side).

I'm a fan of the big stroller for cruising - more comfortable for kids and easier to handle. I cruised many times with a huge Graco DuoGlider (tandem). As long as it's no wider than a wheelchair' date=' you shouldn't have too much trouble. On some ships it fit through the cabin door and I parked it against a wall (in our regular-sized outside cabin). If it didn't fit through the door, I'd collapse it and store it against the cabin wall that way.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

We have a double for our twins that's no wider than a wheel chair. Do you think that would work? Since DH and I and kids won't be together every single second (do I sense a spa trip?) it would be too hard for us to have two strollers. If that makes sense.

We have a double for our twins that's no wider than a wheel chair. Do you think that would work? Since DH and I and kids won't be together every single second (do I sense a spa trip?) it would be too hard for us to have two strollers. If that makes sense.

Is it tandem? I've taken a tandem (front/back) stroller on all my cruises. I always choose a cabin near the elevators to reduce the amount I need to go through the narrow halls where the cabins are - but even then it just means sometimes having to move a cabin steward's cart to get around. You just need to be someone who isn't always in a hurry as you'll need to wait for elevators, etc. But there's no reason to be in a rush on a cruise :) Most aisles and doors are wide enough for wheelchairs, so as long as yours is as narrow as that, you shouldn't have a problem. And it's a good solution to be able to put both into one stroller.

Best,

Mia

We actually bought 2 cheap ($30) umbrella strollers (at BRU) for Conquest last week, and were very happy with them. We also have a DuoGlider. It handles well for a tandem and would have worked, but the number of times some bonehead almost walked right over one of the umbrellas... I'm sure someone would have fallen over "the stretch." Of course, they may have been a little bit better protected in the DuoGlider

We also have a side-by-side that rides and handles like a dream, but we'd have been moving housekeeping carts more often than the housekeeping staff! There was also a wheelchair down the hall from us which would have been a problem (and we were in the front of Panorama, so only one way out...)

This way we didn't have to be too worried about the strollers. They are also really light which was a big win. Piece of cake to turn around in the elevators. There is not enough room in the glass elevators to turn a DuoGlider, though of course that isn't a huge issue either. We did miss the under-carriage storage on the way in, but never after that.

For the most part we each were steering with one hand all week with no problems. It was possible to take both strollers if necessary, though not terrifically easy ... and of course you needs a wiiiiide path to do that. For the most part, if we split up we'd each take one baby. Not workable for the spa, but for most situations not a problem.

Of course, YMMV. Portability vs. capability. In m case it was clear to me when DW said we should take the unbrella strollers that they were the best option. :D

Archived