Beer in Juneau

JHUNTGOLF

Hi, we'll be in Juneau on August 20 from 6:30am to 4pm. We're taking Harv & Marv's whale watching tour beginning at 7:30am. We'll probably get dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier around 11am or so and then take the shuttle bus back to the cruise ship area. Are there any bars in the area that you'd recommend for Alaskan beer? Thanks.

John

John,

In '06 we did our tours then stopped at "The Twisted Fish" for fish tacos/seafood pizza/Alaskan Amber beer. Excellent food and beverage and close to where our ship was docked. Sat on the back deck and soaked up the sunshine and glorious view. I had seen it recommended on CC in my research. I wasn't led astray.

I'm not taking full credit; but I did do my part in the ship running out of Alaskan Amber before the week was over! :D

They even sent me a free hat for my support of the product onboard! lol

We were able to get Alaskan Amber on tap in San Diego several years ago, and it was good. The same year, though, we also got it on tap in some little town in Oregon...that was not good. If a place doesn't go through their beer fast enough...:(

We were staying at the Monte Carlo in Las Vegas last week and "The Pub" had Alaskan Amber (and about 100 others) on draft. I went no further down the list and drank my fair share of AA in a 2 day period! It was cold and perfect...just as God intended! ;)

I am hoping to make it to the brewery in Juneau this trip.

John,

In '06 we did our tours then stopped at "The Twisted Fish" for fish tacos/seafood pizza/Alaskan Amber beer. Excellent food and beverage and close to where our ship was docked. Sat on the back deck and soaked up the sunshine and glorious view. I had seen it recommended on CC in my research. I wasn't led astray.

I'm not taking full credit; but I did do my part in the ship running out of Alaskan Amber before the week was over! :D

They even sent me a free hat for my support of the product onboard! lol

Karen, you are definitely okay in my book--fish tacos, seafood pizza, and Alaskan Amber beer--plus doing your part in drinking the ship out of Alaskan Amber!!!!!

John

• 2 weeks later...

Just for information there is bus service that runs every 1/2 hour that goes within 1 1/2 blocks of the Alaskan Brewery. Bus can be caught very close to cruise ship piers. Fare is $1.25each way, sure beats a $17.00 cab ride. Have been to the brewery and they have lots of souvenirs available and are open till 6 pm nightly. Did I mention, they are quite generous with their sampling. I'll be there again in 1 week while traveling aboard the Volendam.

Cheers

Just for information there is bus service that runs every 1/2 hour that goes within 1 1/2 blocks of the Alaskan Brewery. Bus can be caught very close to cruise ship piers. Fare is $1.25each way,

just for information, the bus fare is $1.50

and i don't know anyone in southeast that drinks their beer.

just for information, the bus fare is $1.50

and i don't know anyone in southeast that drinks their beer.

Well- now you do- We keep a nice supply of Alaska Amber in our "extra fridge"- We drink it on occasion- I use it for our beer batter halibut- serve it to guests that drink beer- and for large at home functions, my husband picks up thier small kegs. And- when we go out for pizza- we normally have a glass or two.

And- when we go out for pizza- we normally have a glass or two.

okay, it will kill the taste after eating at bullwinkles.

something turned about 10 years ago and i and those that i know that are regular beer drinkers will no longer buy it. feh.

one of the most funny statements from the last couple of years on this forum is " i don't like beer but i like alaskan amber ".

my creds? i won a beer judging contest judged by one of the brewers from alaskan. i've won best of show at the haines handcrafted beer festival against > 500 diff beers.

alaskan beer? they're good but not something to wet myself as some on this forum seem to do.

today it's sunny and i'm pulling shrimp and crab traps and tonight i'll be having cheap australian wine.

• 2 weeks later...
I've, quite openly, taken a couple of local beer back onto many Princess ships....the last time was a six pack in Australia. Never had any problems.

Princess is ok with beer. Across the street and up a block from the retail Alaska Brewery is a liquor store, where you can mix and match different alaskan brews. We brought back a 12 pack with no issues.

Too bad we can't take the beer back on board. I wonder if Princess sells any local beers on board?

Last summer on the Golden, I bought an Alaskan Summer Ale in the MDR. I think the price was $4.25.

I have been to many a brew pub and frankly, I find most of Alaska brewing' stuff ordinary.I think the less exposure and experience one has with microbrew, the bigger the wow factor. Having said that, I am spitten with their winter ale, made with spruce tips. If they have it, try it out.

I have been to many a brew pub and frankly, I find most of Alaska brewing' stuff ordinary.I think the less exposure and experience one has with micro brew, the bigger the wow factor.

i think that's my mental hangup /windmill to tilt with fawning over amber, if at home you drink american lagar/pilsner (millbudoor) and then on holiday 'treat' yourself to a less mainstream ale, you are truly amazed that beer can have a flavor.

When we went a couple of years ago Alaskan had 7 different beers available for tasting when we took the tour.

My favorite was the Smoked Porter. They smoke the hops with alderwood in the same smokers where salmon is smoked. The flavor is AMAZING.

We get the Amber and the Summer in local restaurants and both are really good.

They also had a really good IPA that my wife (not much of a beer drinker) enjoyed.

If you are a beer drinker I would highly recommend the tour. We received a free beer glass because we booked through the cruise line.

How much does transportation cost from the pier to Alaskan Brewing?

Also, while we are on the topic, there is a small brew pub in Skagway at the end of town, easy walking distance from the ship.

Archived