Beer in Juneau

JHUNTGOLF

Hi, we'll be in Juneau on August 20 from 6:30am to 4pm. We're taking Harv & Marv's whale watching tour beginning at 7:30am. We'll probably get dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier around 11am or so and then take the shuttle bus back to the cruise ship area. Are there any bars in the area that you'd recommend for Alaskan beer? Thanks.

John

This year, the Alaska Brewing Company- is going to have a "retail" store, on South Franklin- in the "heart of the tourist" area. Depending on the ship you will be on- either "right outside your door" - or a couple block walk. They will not offer a "tasting area" as there is at the actual brewery at Lemon Creek- You will be able to buy thier logo wear and other "Alaska Made Products".-

And if you want to go to the brewery- I am sure they can point you in the right direction.

I have not been in it yet- but hope to see it soon. The owners are great folks- so hope that everyone coming to Juneau, will make an effort to stop in and see thier new store.

All the local bars in the area have great stocks of the Alaska Brewing Company's products.

I don't usually care for beer ..however took a few sips of DH pale ale (locally brewed ??) in port in Ketchikan near the lumberjack show as we ate our halibut-n-chips..anyone know what beer this might have been ?.... Tried a pale ale at the Red Dog in Juneau...not the same :p

This year, the Alaska Brewing Company- is going to have a "retail" store, on South Franklin- in the "heart of the tourist" area. Depending on the ship you will be on- either "right outside your door" - or a couple block walk. They will not offer a "tasting area" as there is at the actual brewery at Lemon Creek- You will be able to buy thier logo wear and other "Alaska Made Products".-

And if you want to go to the brewery- I am sure they can point you in the right direction.

I have not been in it yet- but hope to see it soon. The owners are great folks- so hope that everyone coming to Juneau, will make an effort to stop in and see thier new store.

All the local bars in the area have great stocks of the Alaska Brewing Company's products.

thanks for that great info. :)

Tried a pale ale at the Red Dog in Juneau...not the same

i could say that being at the red dawg is just in bad taste anyway but i won't. oh, i guess i did. but if you like gatlinburg............

but you could -

walk north up franklin to the triangle club and have beer and a hotdog with the alaska state legislature. seriously.

or as the queen mentions, the alaskan is nice and dark with turn of the last century class.

the best view downtown will be from the hanger at the wharf that looks out over the waterfront. wide selection of beverages. may be crowded at lunch or just after work.

i could say that being at the red dawg is just in bad taste anyway but i won't. oh, i guess i did. but if you like gatlinburg............

but you could -

walk north up franklin to the triangle club and have beer and a hotdog with the alaska state legislature. seriously.

or as the queen mentions, the alaskan is nice and dark with turn of the last century class.

the best view downtown will be from the hanger at the wharf that looks out over the waterfront. wide selection of beverages. may be crowded at lunch or just after work.

Sorry I was "just" a first time tourist...:rolleyes:

Sorry I was "just" a first time tourist...:rolleyes:

dont apoligize. everyone has their individual tastes. i wish i could help you with the type you drank but sorry i cant . they have many kinds too choose from. kind of like Samual Adams. i cant wait too get too the red dawg and have a cold one :D

Too bad we can't take the beer back on board. I wonder if Princess sells any local beers on board?

I agree w/ bottom-dragger

The Hangar --- in the big blue bldg away from the touristy shops.

Serves local beer. I believe it brew its own, too.

Last year they had a new raspberry beer (yum) and a white beer that was great.

Awesome place right on the water w/ great views of the seaplanes taking off and landing.

Too bad we can't take the beer back on board. I wonder if Princess sells any local beers on board?

I've, quite openly, taken a couple of local beer back onto many Princess ships....the last time was a six pack in Australia. Never had any problems.

I've, quite openly, taken a couple of local beer back onto many Princess ships....the last time was a six pack in Australia. Never had any problems.

I'll try it - I guess the worst that can happen is they take it and give it back to me in Whittier!

Even if the beers are not allowed "on the ship" they will take them from your and return them the last day. Then you can take it home. :) I've done so several times.

I will be going to Alaska in 12 days on NCL Star... My son loves beer and for a sovenier he wants me to bring him back some differant Alaskan beer.. will I have trouble getting it back on the ship? Will turn it in like I would liquor or wine and they return it to me.. that is the way I understand it ? Am I right... Thanks for the bother.... only 2 cruise... First to Alaska...

I will be going to Alaska in 12 days on NCL Star... My son loves beer and for a sovenier he wants me to bring him back some differant Alaskan beer.. will I have trouble getting it back on the ship? Will turn it in like I would liquor or wine and they return it to me.. that is the way I understand it ? Am I right... Thanks for the bother.... only 2 cruise... First to Alaska...

Not to take away the fun of bringing back souvenirs, the Alaska Brewing Company's beers can be purchased at Bev Mo and that's a much better option than dragging bottles back with airline restrictions. There might be some micro brews available in Anchorage that he couldn't get Outside, if you want to go to the trouble.

Not to take away the fun of bringing back souvenirs, the Alaska Brewing Company's beers can be purchased at Bev Mo and that's a much better option than dragging bottles back with airline restrictions. There might be some micro brews available in Anchorage that he couldn't get Outside, if you want to go to the trouble.[/quot

Fantasic idea!!! Thanks a bunch... I will do exactly that and ship to his house.. Thanks..

Correct, NCL is NOT likely to allow you to take it on the ship. So just go to the directed area, and turn in the beer.

Several years ago we were on Vision of the Sea in the Mexican Riviera and the ship had just returned from Alaska..They had lots of Alaska Beer for sale in the shop onboard as well as T-shirts etc....Another time the ship had things from Hawaii which it had just sailed from....

Correct, NCL is NOT likely to allow you to take it on the ship. So just go to the directed area, and turn in the beer.

As an FYI to anyone on NCL, we've never had a problem carrying cans of beer onto an NCL ship. It's the checked bags they seem to be stricter with. I can't say what will happen with bottles though. Probably hit or miss.

Not to take away the fun of bringing back souvenirs, the Alaska Brewing Company's beers can be purchased at Bev Mo and that's a much better option than dragging bottles back with airline restrictions. There might be some micro brews available in Anchorage that he couldn't get Outside, if you want to go to the trouble.

Fantasic idea!!! Thanks a bunch... I will do exactly that and ship to his house.. Thanks..

Not to say you can do some taste testing for your son. :D AK Brewing does special brews every year. My mother's still lamenting that her Bev Mo is no longer selling the White Pale Ale, so I'm going to have to check and see if they're still brewing it or if it was last year's beer.

But she was just in a restaurant in CA that had Alaska Brewing Beer on tap. They're going mainstream!

Not to say you can do some taste testing for your son. :D AK Brewing does special brews every year. My mother's still lamenting that her Bev Mo is no longer selling the White Pale Ale, so I'm going to have to check and see if they're still brewing it or if it was last year's beer.

But she was just in a restaurant in CA that had Alaska Brewing Beer on tap. They're going mainstream!

The White is a wheat ale with spices, and I am having one with dinner every night this week.

We were able to get Alaskan Amber on tap in San Diego several years ago, and it was good. The same year, though, we also got it on tap in some little town in Oregon...that was not good. If a place doesn't go through their beer fast enough...:(

Archived