Help for Alaska Newbie

allears

Hi,

I've been on 3 Disney Cruises and am considering an Alaskan Cruise for the first time. I'm looking at possibly Celebrity's Summit (in part because I love Cirque de Soleil). I want to see Grizzly Bears and Whales, I want to take pretty pictures. I'm looking for suggestions. I'm a little overwhelmed trying to figure this all out. And what about this train trip (the Wilderness Express) that you can book, can anyone tell me more about that? is it worth it? Arriving a little ahead and doing some sightseeing and going to Denali seems worthwhile and then taking the southern bound cruise from Seward to Vancover might be the way to go. I'll have 7 to 10 days for this trip. I love bears. I'm traveling with family members both who loves to shop and see historical sights. I've heard the Aqua Spa on the Summit is great. I really need some advice though.

Thanks.

Is your timeframe 7-10 days for interior travel AND an addition 7 for a one way cruise??? If the total time- you need more. Denali Park is your best and cheapest option for brown bear viewing (but these are "half size" browns since no salmon in their diet). If you want black salmon eating- going after late July will have viewing on floatplane trips out of Ketchikan. A costly option for browns- salmon diet are float plane trips out of Juneau with Alaska Fly N Fish- be certain to have PERMITS for landing. http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/viewing/packck.cfm

A factor - all those cruisebrochures photography are GREATLY enhances, rarely will you have close up viewing and 300mm lens are mandatory for even the hope of some good bear photos. I'll assume you are referring to the Alaska RR- WITH time it is a good option, but you can see and do significantly more with a rental car on the Anchorage- Denali Park route. Seward/Anchorage route has superior scenery compared to Seward Highway and is a great option. Whale watching is excellent in Alaska with Juneau offering sightings 100% for humpback tours- tours are necessary. Consider Orca Enterprises.

The info above is right on. Trust her. The black salmon fishing I think is black bears fishing for salmon. We have been to denali for the shuttle bus trip to Toklat River, Eielson, and Wonder Lake and have seen grizzlies up close on all three trips, twice 15-25 ft from bus. It is definitely one of the best and cheapest ways to see brown bears, lots of caribou, sheep, maybe wolves. As for seeing the larger coastal brown bears, you need to take flt tour out of Anc, or the trip above, or head down to Homer(at least 3 nites) to go to Katmai NP which is also very expensive, $477-550 per person for one day. If you are going to ISP, they have an inexpensive brown bear viewing tour that has been pretty sucessful so far, but is relatively new and you have to be on Celebrity or RCCL cruise with stop there. They say there are more brown bears per mile there than anywhere else. Check photos from denali and Katmai:

http://community.webshots.com/user/jq4653

To winterstar (and others, of course), found a post from you that you will be on VOS on May 27 out of Vancouver, yes? We are on that cruise! Our first cruise and first trip up North (I am in Texas, in case you don't know what an Aggie is). If you search for my posts, I am trying to get a Meet 'n' Mingle for the cruise going.

gig em!

Archived