Does Champane go bad

geojobes

Sorry, if this is a little off topic, but we received a bottle of champagne from our TA for our first cruise in 2000. I don't drink champagne, my DW does, but can't drink a whole bottle. Our son may be getting engaged & we'd like to have some champagne for a toast. Could we use that bottle or should I spring for a new bottle? I'm not a tightwad, if you guys say buy a new bottle, I'll buy it & keep the old one as a souvenir.

I only ask on CC, because I know that people here are knowledgeable on the subject & most people are helpful. Thanks.

It should be fine, but why not buy another bottle just in case. Then, open the original bottle and, if it's good, use it and save the other. If it's not good, you're ready to go.

You can keep wine good with a Vacu Vin (http://www.vacuvinonline.com/wine/) vacuum sealer. It doesn't work as well on champagne as it does on regular wines, but it will keep it for a day or so.

Well, I am sorry to say that most champagnes improve for 2-3 years and then they tend to go downhill. If this was a particularly important vintage or has some other unique characteristic, it might be worth keeping, but if it was a run-of-the-mill bottle from the TA and has not been properly cellared, you are probably better off pitching it and getting a nice current vintage.

Other than "vintage" champagnes (they're rarer, with a vintage year on them), champagne is ready to drink as soon as you can buy it and does not improve with age.

I'd definitely replace a 10-yo non-vintage bottle with a nice fresh bottle, or even a vintage one, esp. considering the occasion.

Try it if you like, but I'd buy a bottle of Veuve Cliquot and use the old one if required once the first one is finished - your palate will not notice, always drink the best stuff first. Veuve is a really drinkable champagne , got top marks in a survey just at Christmas, worth every penny.:D

Archived