sea sick on the boat for Kenai Fjords?

WASUP

I read somewhere that the boat tours can be rough, that to stay in more protected waters, can anyone elaborate on the "protected waters"? Are there different types of boat tours that are less bumpy?

Thanks

I am familiar with the Kenai Fjords National Park cruise tour. It is 6+ hours in duration and spends a considerable amount of time in open water which can be quite rough. I have taken the tour twice and have seen people sea sick on both occasions, in fact the last trip I was one of the" sickees"and I'm a boater/fisherman at home and spend a good deal of time on open salt water.Getting sea sick can be caused by numerous conditions not just rough water. Will I go again, you bet, in fact I'm already booked for 5/25. IMHO it is one of the better excursions available if you enjoy wildlife. If you are prone to motion sickness prepare yourself prior to the tour by watching how much and what you eat/drink, stay away from greasy foods and take dramamine or bonine prior to boarding the boat and you should have a very enjoyable trip.

I have taken these trips many times and see sick passengers EVERY TRIP. So if at all prone to seasickness- TAKE PRECAUTIONS. Last trip 8-04 had a 1/4 of the ship sick. The "protected waters" trips??? are likely the bay cruises and hardly worthwhile, significantly superior - you need at least 6 hours on the water. http://www.toursaver.com offer this season is the wonderful Northwestern Fjords tour- even better and actually now, my only choice. :)

We have taken 6hr tour twice, the last one in early Sept. They warned us before we paid our money that it may be too rough to do whole tour and left it up to everyone if they wanted to try or cancel. Everyone decided to go and it was not too bad. Definitely take medicine, better safe than sorry. The 8hr tour has to go thru the same open water and I think more, so it would ge just as likely to be rough. Once you get thru the open areas, it is fairly calm. The captains try to do it as smoothly as possible.

I will take the advice, eat light, take the pills, and go for it...I have gotten sea sick, but only when they have been drifting, another words they shut off the engine and let the boat drift, I was very very sick that time. Have been in a bit of rough waters, not sureit compares to ALaska, in Florida, not sea when rough, it seems for me to be the drifting, so they shut down the engines to drift in the tour???

Thanks again

Archived