Smelly rooms?????

Morning glory

I haven't really read about odor problems in Carnival cabins, so what's with the Glade plug-ins and crockpots for potpourri (sp?) I see on the packing lists? Is it just for romance, or are there issues with odors?

First time cruiser, so bear with the ignorance here?? :o TIA

I usually bring along a hanging air freshener and hang it in the middle of the cabin. Keeps the cabin smelling very nice.

You mean those little paper ones shaped like christmas trees? After seeing the movie "Seven", I can't bring myself to use those anymore. LOL

We were aboard the Sensation last November and I had read many posts about that particular ship having a sewage smell in the bathrooms. It was there. It wasn't anything that really bothered me, but I did noticed it. Air freshener of any amount would probably have taken care of it with no problem.

You mean those little paper ones shaped like christmas trees? After seeing the movie "Seven", I can't bring myself to use those anymore. LOL
You can get some Yankee candle Car Jars and sue them instead - no tree shape and definitely, not the same smell!

Sage and Citrus is my favorite for deodorizing needs! :rolleyes:

Since I'm not handicapped by facts, I'm free to speculate

First, on the unpleasant odor noticed when lifting the toilet lid, every cruise ship I've been on appears to have an identical toilet configuration, where the seat curves over into the inside of the toilet bowl for several inches, and the lid curves over the seat on the outside for an inch or so. This seems to do a very good job of trapping the smells inside the toilet, only to release a concentrated smell when lifting the lid. I believe that the reason you don't notice this at home, is that the seat has an inch of so clearance above the bowl, and this allows the bowl to "air out" rather than hold in these odors.

Secondly, the plumbing on board is VERY sensitive to blockages, much more so than a home toilet. When someone puts a diaper, paper towel, washcloth, etc. in them, a blockage occurs. If it stops in the offending stateroom's toilet, then likely only that toilet will be affected, but if it makes it farther down the system, it can block mutiple rooms from flushing. If enough toilets are attempted to be flushed, it can cause backups, which can cause sewage and sewage gas to be expelled where it shouldn't. Until the maintenance folks can locate and clear the blockage, there will be problems.

I've seen complaints about sewage odor, toilets that wouldn't flush, etc. on just about every cruise board covering most of the ships in the fleet. I'm not convinced that the problems are only with one ship. That said, I do believe that there are problems at specific times on specific ships that take more than a few hours to correct. We were on a RCI cruise that had sewage smells for two or three days, varying from noticeable to objectionable. When we complained to houskeeping, they had our carpet shampooed, which didn't help. The smell was not only in our room, but was often noticed in our hallway along 6 to 8 staterooms. Our steward said that there was nothing maintainence could do until the scheduled dry dock, which was at the end of our cruise.

What to do when it happens to you? Because most of the smells and blockages are relatively common and transient, and are quickly fixed by maintenance, the hotel/purser's desk are usually going to stonewall at least for the first time or two that you report it. If it lasts more than several hours, you can try keeping a written log of the facts and times, and discussing unemotionally with the hotel/purser staff. I'd probably escalate to a supervisor pretty quick. Rather than demand account credits, or other monetary compensation, you'll likely have more luck getting moved to a similar cabin, if available. Assuming it has gone on for more than a day, rather than just giving them the option of saying no, just tell them that the situation is unacceptable, and ask them what they suggest. Then when they respond that it should be fixed soon, get a supervisor to agree that if the problem is not resolved by a specific time, a mutually satisfactory remedy will be put in place, and get agreement on what that will comprise.

Above all, don't be two optimistic about the fix, because these folks have had every trick in the world tried to get account credits, future cruise discounts, upgrades to the presidential suites, etc. They are going to smile and do nothing, because they assume you are crying wolf.

As for escalating to the captain, forget it. The reason he has all the departments is so that he doesn't have to deal with pax. If the hotel manager can't be convinced to fix the problem, you might as well forget it.

Oh, and our smelly stateroom on the Grandeur of the Seas, we decided it wasn't bad enough to make us have a miserable cruise. We got the steward to leave us a spray air freshener, and spent more time outside of the cabin.

I too always take the Yankee Car Jars...one for the cabin and one for the bathroom. (I swear by the Clean Cotton scent). I have had cabin stewards thank me, saying that they really liked the scent.

I used to work at Yankee and sold a lot more of them by letting people know about using them for cruises and hotel rooms. Plus, the Christmas tree scents work well to hide one in the back of an artificial tree. Also, another tip, I hang them from the pull chain on my ceiling fans at home. That way the air hits it and disperses the scent. :) :)

Christine

I haven't really read about odor problems in Carnival cabins, so what's with the Glade plug-ins and crockpots for potpourri (sp?) I see on the packing lists? Is it just for romance, or are there issues with odors?

First time cruiser, so bear with the ignorance here?? :o TIA

One word.....OZIUM

Plug-ins? Reminds me of the "Blacklist" thread.

Crockpot...In all honesty I think that was a joke.

Archived