Budget or Andy's for car rental??

azkcruizers

Hi...I'm trying to decide whether to rent a vehicle from Budget or Andy's....both airport location....very close in price. I wondered if anyone had a bad experience with either one.

Andy's wants me to rent from 7 mile beach instead which I don't want to and haven't answered exact questions in an email.

One man at Budget told me the 9 passenger van wasn't available when I emailed him with a discount code...but the budget direct email told me it definately is available

that's why I'm on the fence.... what do you think? I am leaning towards Budget..'

thank you

Out of curiosity, why would you want to rent from Andy's airport location (which is much further from the port area) rather than their Seven Mile Beach one?

We use Andy's an average of about 8 times a year, and have never had a problem.

I can't tell you about Budget, but we rent from Andy's whenever we go to GC- every year for 5 years. Because we fly in, we rent from the airport location, but you definately don't want to do that if you are coming into the port. The 7MB office is a quick cab ride away from the port. I once had a slow tire leak and stopped into the 7MB office and they fixed it right away. I may have waited about 5-10 minutes.

I thought that renting from the airport locationn would be better seeing that we didn't want to go to 7 mile beach we wanted to go to Rum Point. I didn't realize that the 7 mile beach location would be that much closer. Even going to Rum Point do you think I should still go with the beach location?

Thanks

It might take you an extra 10 minutes or so to drive to Rum Point from the 7MB location, but it would take you that same amount of extra time (at least) to get to the airport location from the port.

Personally, I'd rather spend the extra time in a rental car that costs a flat rate than in a taxi that is paid by distance driven... :D It will also be faster to get back to the port at the end of the day from the 7MB location than it would be from the airport, which could be handy if you're running a bit late.

Both Andy's and Budget were offering free shuttles to and from the tender area so there was no taxi fee.

That eliminates the taxi fare difference, but the timing could still be an issue. If you do go with an airport location, just remember to leave lots of time for the trip back to the port, especially since the shuttle might not leave right away.

Just got another e-mail from Budget (they have had great communication thus far). I knew they would pick us up, but I had asked them about drop-off. They will drop us off at whatever location we want (I had also mentioned going to Eden Rock). So it seems like they are very accommodating.

Of course, I will certainly report back on their service after our cruise. But still have another 66 days to go... :)

nomoredyess.....Have you had a problem with Budget in Grand Cayman or used Andy's??

I used them in Germany once and got hosed at turn in over a gas cap that wasnt there when I refilled the car, I was on a military mission rented a car and got charged $300 addt'l/month....If you ever go through the Lambert Terminal in St Louis, run dont walk past that counter!!!

I promised the Budget "supervisor" that until I was given a satisfactory resolution to my claim, I would be sure to tell people about how badly they suck!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I know the OP didn't ask about Avis, but DH and I are going to rent a car through aviscaymandotcom and they pick up cruise passengers at the cruise terminal. You can book online and call their 800 number to arrange a pickup time. It's supposedly a 5 minute shuttle ride from the cruise terminal to their shop so that's what we're doing.

Sorry to get a little off topic, I hope this is ok to mention.

~Lisa :p

Archived