Barbados vs Grenada

SW Dave

Which stop?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which stop?

• Barbados
    • Grenada

My wife and I are looking at booking another cruise and we have it nailed down between two cruises. The major difference between the cruises are one has a stop on Barbados and is about $150 PP more than the cruise with Grenada.

From the research I've been doing it seems like Barbados is a little more touristy for what we prob like. We like the local flavor and the local huts to buy homemade island products. It seems like Barbados is more modernized.

So could anybody weigh in on the differences between the two or help guide us in the right direction? Thanks!

Barbados vs. Grenada, yes?

Comparing nutmeg and cacao, I think.

The basics say Barbados is 167sq miles with almost 300,000 people and Grenada is about 133 sq miles with only 110,000 population.

That's about as far as the resemblance goes.

Barbados is hilly but Grenada is mountainous. Peaks 2.5 times the size of Mt. Hillaby on Barbados of 1115'.

I think of Barbados as a wonderful Caribbean paradise with much to do and wonderful people.

I think of Grenada as a beautiful jungle paradise with much to see and wonderful people.

These two islands are both very important to visit and as diverse as neighbours can be.

You will always remember Harrison's Caves in Barbados just as much as a tour through Grenada's spice forests. You'll smell the nutmeg when you first arrive in St. George's. When you actually see the harvesting and processing of the spices in Grenada that supply 20% of the world's requirements, you'll appreciate the US$$$ that we pay stateside per tiny jar of nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, ginger, allspice, saffron or high quality chocolate made from Grenada cacao beans.

To be complete, one must experience both Barbados and Grenada.

You'll want to return to Barbados as there is much more to see than a day can provide.

Actually, to not seem biased, you'll want to return to both islands for an extended visit.

A single day doesn't do either of them justice. :)

(There are a few astute islanders from both islands that frequent this forum. Hopefully they'll come forward and expand on your request better than I am able.)

Enjoy whichever cruise you choose, my friend. You cannot go wrong. :)

You seek to compare apples and oranges. :)

Barbados is a comparatively 'advanced' island

whereas Grenada has only now started its 20th. Century development.

And yes I realize we're now in the 21st. Century. ;)

Suggest you continue reading both the Barbados and Grenada Ports-of-Call message boards and glean what you can.

There is a pictorial thread for Memorable Barbados pics -glean what you may.

No such thread exists(yet) for Grenada

although similarly-themed threads do exist for some other islands among these Caribbean message boards.

Neither forum member 'Barbados' nor I will cast a vote for Barbados

because that would be simply too prejudiced/obvious.

That's best left to other non-island-resident cruisers with no vested interest in either Port of Call.

I will also ad my $0.02 to what these two astute and knowledgeable gentlemen have already indicated i.e. these are two separate and distinct destinations which are both worthy of visits for the aforementioned reasons.

I also will abstain from the voting process for the very same reasons the learned aplmac and Barbados have indicated.:)

You cannot go wrong with either destination.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't decide either, my ideal cruise would stop at both!
Excellent idea!

They're quite different, one from the other..and therein lies the tale. ;)

LightBoat-538.jpg

Le Phare Bleu restaurant, South coast Grenada!

Archived