Cruising out of NYC

I Luv Crusin

We were fortunate enough to have a relative drop us off at the terminal. Not knowing any better, we just showed up at the time they said embarkation begins (1:00 I think). As luck would have it, that was a great time to show up. They had started embarkation enough earlier that the terminal was empty when we walked in. We went right to one of the booths to sign in and were on board in minutes.

The terminal was old and unimpressive like the others have said, but it wasn't a problem at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cruzr44

Where is the bus station located (town, address) where Greyhound would be? I was thinking of taking a bus and taxi from there to the port. What does everybody think? I'm really nervous that I won't be able to find the West Side in Manhattan and that driving and parking is a nightmare! HELP!

The Port Authority bus terminal is between 40th and 42nd Streets and between 8th and 9th Avenues on the West Side in midtown New York. It's very close to the exit from the Lincoln Tunnel, which connects New York and New Jersey. The cruise terminal is about 15 blocks from there.

For all those concerned about sailing from the New York terminal, you should be aware that a few ships are now sailing from Port Liberty, a converted Navy yard in Bayonne, New Jersey across the Hudson River from New York. I haven't been there yet, but I know there's a very easy route to get there from the New Jersey Turnpike. There should be convenient cab service from Newark Airport or the Newark Amtrak station. You'll still sail past the Statue of Liberty and under the Verrazanno Narrows Bridge (magnificent!) but you don't have to deal with all the hassles of New York.

I live on Long Island and have sailed from the NYPST many times. I always drive and park on top of the pier. Parking is $24/day to a max of $180. If you arrive at 10:45 on a weekday you should have little or no traffic when you arrive especially if you are the only ship that day. When we were on the Legend CTN in October there were 5 ships (3 Megas) at the NYPST when we returned. Once we were off the ship (10:00) we were in our car and out of the lot within 10 minutes. We were home by 11:05. It was a nitemare for those waiting for rides/limos or cabs.

Guest cruzr44
I live on Long Island and have sailed from the NYPST many times. I always drive and park on top of the pier. Parking is $24/day to a max of $180. If you arrive at 10:45 on a weekday you should have little or no traffic when you arrive especially if you are the only ship that day. When we were on the Legend CTN in October there were 5 ships (3 Megas) at the NYPST when we returned. Once we were off the ship (10:00) we were in our car and out of the lot within 10 minutes. We were home by 11:05. It was a nitemare for those waiting for rides/limos or cabs.

Would you mind giving me directions to the port? We will be coming down from Cape Cod. Thanks for your help. We are sailing on a Monday and so far we are the only ship in port that day.

Got this on the carnival website. By the way, where did you check to see how many ships are in port????

New York - Directions and Parking

Address:

Port of New York

New York City Passenger Ship Terminal Piers #88/90/92

711 12th Avenue at 55th Street

New York City, New York 10019

Travel Time:

• 15 miles from Newark International Airport; travel time is approximately 45 minutes.

• 15 miles from LaGuardia Airport; travel time is approximately 45 minutes.

Directions to the Port:

Traveling from outside of New York City -

• New Jersey Turnpike North/South

• Take the Lincoln Tunnel to New York City

• Follow signs to West 42nd Street

• Turn left on to West 42nd Street

• Turn right on to 12th Avenue (West Side Highway)

• Turn left at 55th Street and proceed up the ramp to the terminal

• Proceed to Pier #88/90/92.

Parking:

$22.00 per day (rate subject to change by the Port Authority)

• Open rooftop, gated, outdoor parking lot under 24-hour patrol

• Full payment due upon entering the parking area

• Accepted forms of payment: U.S. dollars, U.S. traveler's checks

• No advance reservations required

• For more information: P&O Parking, 212-246-5924.

If you are coming in from Cape Cod you can take I 95 to I 287 West. Then get on the Huchinson River Parkway South. Take the Hutch to the Saw Mill River Parkway West (Big Fork in the Highway). Take the Saw Mill to the Henry Hudson Parkway South. Stay on the Henry Hudson Parkway as it becomes the West Side Highway which will take you directly to the pier.

An alternate is I 84 West to I 684 South. I 684 becomes the Huchinson River Parkway at I 287.

Parking:

$22.00 per day (rate subject to change by the Port Authority)

• Open rooftop, gated, outdoor parking lot under 24-hour patrol

• Full payment due upon entering the parking area

• Accepted forms of payment: U.S. dollars, U.S. traveler's checks

• No advance reservations required

• For more information: P&O Parking, 212-246-5924.

The Carnival Website needs to be updated. The price to park is now $24/day Max $180. In addition they now accept VISA and Master Card. http://www.nypst.com/

Archived