Hiking West Side Mendenhall Glacier

redwingfan517

Hello: We are cruising to Alaska this Saturday (HOORAY-it is almost here :))))). Anyway, if the weather is good, we would like to hike the West Glacier Trail. We know that the hike is challenging and that is OK. We need to pick up the trail at the end of Skater's Cavin Road off Montana Creek Road. My question is, is the trail doable and easy to follow without a guide?? We are trying to save $$$$. Thank you for your suggestions.:D

Hello: We are cruising to Alaska this Saturday (HOORAY-it is almost here :))))). Anyway, if the weather is good, we would like to hike the West Glacier Trail. We know that the hike is challenging and that is OK. We need to pick up the trail at the end of Skater's Cavin Road off Montana Creek Road. My question is, is the trail doable and easy to follow without a guide?? We are trying to save $$$$. Thank you for your suggestions.:D

Yes, it's pretty well marked. Alaskan trails can be frustrating because you'll see well-worn trails going off the main trail and they lead straight off a cliff. One of life's mysteries. Use caution and common sense.

You know you will need a cab or rental car to access this trail?

We were also interested in doing this hike, since it looks like it goes right up to the glacier. How long should we plan for this hike? Since we are not familiar with glaciers, I'm thinking we should we not risk getting out on the glacier w/o an experienced guide, but we would still like to see the glacier up close and personal, and this seems the best trail to do it from in the panhandle.

This is best to go with a guide, IF you have no glacier experience. It is a long ways of tramping, before you get to the glacier. Are you planning on taking your own crampons??

The guide sheet recommends 5 hours, but that is probably only "to" the glacier, and not including any glacier trekking.

Messing with glaciers can be very, very dangerous! Not having a guide to save money likely will mean that you don't complete the hike as you have dreamed it.

I've gotten mixed up on those threaded hiking trails in Alaska and have had to back track. It is easy to do. We've also had some very serious family arguments about trail issues. Next time I'm going to sell tickets so that visitors can witness the disputes! Well, not really.

Thanks for the tips! This is very important information which convinces us not to attempt this w/o a guide... and maybe not at all. I'm not sure that it is worth the amount of time spent, when we can still take hikes on the other side of the glacier that should give us impressive views, and then also allow us time for other Juneau activities (Mt. Roberts, etc.)

Thanks for the tips! This is very important information which convinces us not to attempt this w/o a guide... and maybe not at all. I'm not sure that it is worth the amount of time spent, when we can still take hikes on the other side of the glacier that should give us impressive views, and then also allow us time for other Juneau activities (Mt. Roberts, etc.)

You can take the West Glacier Trail and follow it up above the glacier with incredible views of the glacier and lake below. Definitely an elevation gain, but not too steep and you can take your time. Go as far as you want, then turn around. Very well worth it in my opinion. The only people I saw on the trail were locals, and only a small handful of them.

The only trails with "glacier views" are the Photo Point, and unfinished lake side trail to the water falls. All the others, have no, or extremely little viewing of Mendenhall.

Thanks for the tips. No we weren't going to bring crampons. We don't want to go ON the glacier, just up close. We want to make sure we get back home in one piece :). Based on the info I found, I think the 5 hours they mention is round trip, not one way. I thought you would get better views of the glacier from the West Glacier Trail because you are higher up, than the Photo Point Trail. Is that not the case? My main concern is that the trail is easy to follow. I don't want to end up going in circles...

Thanks for the tips. No we weren't going to bring crampons. We don't want to go ON the glacier, just up close. We want to make sure we get back home in one piece :). Based on the info I found, I think the 5 hours they mention is round trip, not one way. I thought you would get better views of the glacier from the West Glacier Trail because you are higher up, than the Photo Point Trail. Is that not the case? My main concern is that the trail is easy to follow. I don't want to end up going in circles...

See my post #8.

Thanks for the reply LOL. We are looking into different options of getting to the beginning of the trail. Not sure what we are going to do yet....

I'm getting a car from rent a wreck for $45 and their office is walking distance from the docks.

There's no circles to go in, only up and down. This trail doesn't have significantly better views--there just aren't any. These pesky trees keep getting in the way.

That said, to me, it's utterly worth the hike. You pass through several different types of terrain and really get a sense of the Alaskan forest. Before you start to climb, there's several side trails going down to the lake's edge where you get views of the glacier, lake and waterfall you don't see from the east side.

Coming as early as you are, you may get a better view at the first look out. It's perhaps an hour up the trail? The alders block much of the views and they're not completely leafed out yet.

There are a few spots where the trail is very steep rock that can be slippery if wet. There are cables to haul yourself up, but I didn't want it to sound too easy.

For the glacier front, the Photo Point trail, is excellent, with a full expansive view. If you walk the edge of the lake, then even better.

Archived