Services for hearing impaired

I am not deaf and do not sign, but I often have a hard time understanding other people's words. When I ask people to repeat themselves, they do that at the same volune, never changing anything in the way they talk. It is extremely frustrating and annoying and not improved by wearing hearing aids. As much as I want to go to demonstrations, classes and lectures onboard and tours in ports, I worry about the possibility my hearing loss is going to ruin all the fun. Is there some way to make sure this will not be a problem with the instructors, lecturers, and tour guides so I can hear everything they say?

I know you're planning on a cruise on a luxury line, and in my experience, they are the worst for providing services for hearing impaired. If your condition is not improved by hearing aids, I'm not quite sure what you're asking. On tours, there's really nothing that can be done, except to make sure you stand next to the guide. In lectures, you can make sure you sit near to the wall speakers in the lecture hall. Other than that, there's really nothing I can think of to assist you.

Some guides give each guest a radio received and headphones so everyone can hear while the group is walking around. I've seen that mostly on ship sponsored excursions since the groups tend to get so large. You can adjust the volume on the headset to allow you to hear.

Not to get into your personal business, but if your hearing aids are not working well for you, you might consider going back to see your doctor. My dad has hearing issues and some types of hearing aids simply weren't effective for him. He tried a few different ones to find the right type.

I agree with the other posters that now might be a good time to try new hearing aids.

I have a profound hearing loss so I got a cochlear implant. In the show lounge or theater, movie theater etc you can use the ship's assistive listening systems - ask for a headset at the Front Desk. For tours and other events you need to get as close to the speaker as possible in order to read lips and pick up their voices. To be honest, there is no easy solution, some speakers will always be difficult for you to understand because of the way they speak, their tone of voice, accent or whatever.

Don't let this spoil your cruise - there is still plenty to enjoy even with a hearing loss.

I agree, go and enjoy as much as you can. I share your frustrations. I am hearing challenged, wear two hearing aids, yet I often can not hear well unless the speaker is using a mike. Road noise, background noise etc. can interfere as well.

Let the guide know of your needs. Some will do all they can to accommodate, others just don't remember to make modifications.

Some guides give each guest a radio received and headphones so everyone can hear while the group is walking around. I've seen that mostly on ship sponsored excursions since the groups tend to get so large. You can adjust the volume on the headset to allow you to hear.

Not to get into your personal business, but if your hearing aids are not working well for you, you might consider going back to see your doctor. My dad has hearing issues and some types of hearing aids simply weren't effective for him. He tried a few different ones to find the right type.

I can't afford hearing aids because they are not covered by insurance. If I bought them I would have no money for a cruise.

But it sounds as if you can't enjoy your cruises 100% because of your hearing? My mom resisted getting hearing aids because of the expense, but now she is really glad to have them. Modern hearing aids can be programmed to fit your particular needs, and they really can help a lot of people.

I can't afford hearing aids because they are not covered by insurance. If I bought them I would have no money for a cruise.

Perhaps you could compromise ... buy good quality hearing aids, and choose a cruise on a more affordable line. That way you would hopefully solve the problem re not hearing the port lecturers, tour guides, etc, and enjoy a cruise as well.

I think this would be a better alternative than foregoing hearing aids and paying a lot of money for a luxury cruise that may be spoiled due to your hearing problem.

Apologies. I was trying to be helpful and not get into your business. I misunderstood your comment about hearing aids not working. I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that you meant you had a similar situation to my dad where your hearing aids did not function well for you. I didn't realize that you meant hearing aids won't work for you because you cannot afford them

I work for a Resource Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing persons so I understand the high cost of hearing aids and we have been fighting for years to get insurance coverage - the bill is still stuck in Congress. Let your congressman and senators know that you want hearing aid coverage. Costco sells high quality digital aids for less than $1,000 and you can return them if they do not work for you. All audiologists have a range of hearing aids usually starting at around $1,000 so you might be able to work out a compromise. Spend a bit less on the cruise in order to afford at least one hearing aid so you can better enjoy the cruise.

In another thread you mention, "I am making sure I get the best PH suite on Serenity " ... and yet, you are willing to forego hearing aids.:confused:

I work for a Resource Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing persons so I understand the high cost of hearing aids and we have been fighting for years to get insurance coverage - the bill is still stuck in Congress. Let your congressman and senators know that you want hearing aid coverage. Costco sells high quality digital aids for less than $1,000 and you can return them if they do not work for you. All audiologists have a range of hearing aids usually starting at around $1,000 so you might be able to work out a compromise. Spend a bit less on the cruise in order to afford at least one hearing aid so you can better enjoy the cruise.

I did write to one of them, Senator Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio. My fear that hearing aids as well as a medicatoin I take will not be included in the health reform legislatoin appeared to come true, as I never read anything about congressmen trying to add them to health coverage requirements. Maybe if more hearing loss-related organizatoins and individual hearing impaired people like me wrote to their representatives, this would change.

Susan, I wanted to know if there are any services for hearing impaired people on a ship or guided tours, not if I should choose between hearing aids and a luxury cruise.

Susan, I wanted to know if there are any services for hearing impaired people on a ship or guided tours, not if I should choose between hearing aids and a luxury cruise.

Yes, but the nature of forums is that when you ask questions and present information, others will offer more info/questions than you've bargained for.:)

Activetraveler

Thank you for telling your representative about the need for hearing aid coverage. You are right that we need more people to talk to their senators and congressmen. All the national organizations such as Hearing Loss Assoc. of America, have been doing this for years and we did manage to stop them imposing a sales tax on hearing aids in the new health care legislation. We pointed out that hearing aids were not covered by insurance so it was grossly unfair to add a special tax on these items - we were already paying for them with our own funds. Millions of Americans need to buy hearing aids so if even a small percentage spoke out it would really help.

In my 25 cruises the only services I've found on board are listening sytems in the show lounges and theaters and sometimes being able to get a seat near the front of a tour bus. Once again, if more people spoke up then that would change too. Hearing loss is invisible so it's up to us to make our needs known and not be embarassed or ashamed.

Are you able to set aside money in an FSA (Flexible Spending Account)? That way you will use pre-tax money for your purchase and that is a substantial savings.

Please do keep in mind that a cruise, however nice, is only going to last a few short weeks, most likely. Improved hearing quality will last every day and not only you will benefit from that, but so will those around you.

Suggest you contact local area audiologists to see if they are testing any new products for hearing aid manufacturers. As from time to time manufacturers contact audiologists to test new technology that's not even out in the market yet. You might be able to get some hearing aids at little to no cost if you're lucky enough to get into a test program.

I know an audiologist that does get approached by companies from time to time to test aids on his patients. It's at least worth a try. So I know this is possible.

I did write to one of them, Senator Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio. My fear that hearing aids as well as a medicatoin I take will not be included in the health reform legislatoin appeared to come true, as I never read anything about congressmen trying to add them to health coverage requirements. Maybe if more hearing loss-related organizatoins and individual hearing impaired people like me wrote to their representatives, this would change.

You can ask for a hard of hearing kit from the cruise line.........it includes a door knocker. If someone knocks on your cabin door, a flashing light goes off in your cabin, there is also an alertmaster which acts as an alarm clock, a tty, a strobe smoke detector. Very few tv shows on the ship are closed captioned. You could ask the cruise line to provide an FM system. It can be used for table conversations during dinner, at lectures, the movie nights, and guided tours. It is the "cadillac" of assistive listening devices.

• 2 weeks later...

HELLO FIrst of all I am hard of hearing my self with among other little things. (FMS) I want to know Are you intersting going on the cruise where there is deaf and harding hearing group cruises? I am going on Meixcan Rivera in August on Mariner of the Seas THere willl be over 1, 000 people the travel agent is Passager Deaf Travel They had a hudge success last in Oct 2007 on Freedom of the seas hold over 3,000 people. Mixed Hard of hearing, Deaf and there also was interpeters , hearing people as well-and equipment for the rooms.

THere are other group of Travel agent too I know so far three others one. I strongly believe you will be happy because will not be left out or not be frustured. LEt me know if you are intersting to get these facts.

I do talk, plus can sign My husband is deaf.:D

HELLO FIrst of all I am hard of hearing my self with among other little things. (FMS) I want to know Are you intersting going on the cruise where there is deaf and harding hearing group cruises? I am going on Meixcan Rivera in August on Mariner of the Seas THere willl be over 1, 000 people the travel agent is Passager Deaf Travel They had a hudge success last in Oct 2007 on Freedom of the seas hold over 3,000 people. Mixed Hard of hearing, Deaf and there also was interpeters , hearing people as well-and equipment for the rooms.

THere are other group of Travel agent too I know so far three others one. I strongly believe you will be happy because will not be left out or not be frustured. LEt me know if you are intersting to get these facts.

I do talk, plus can sign My husband is deaf.:D

Certain you very innocently posted the name of the travel agency, But it's important to note that it's against the guidlines to post the name of travel agencies. So don't be surprise if CC pulls your post.

I would not know that. Only here to help the person out. THe more they learn the more they be happy to cruise ship or ships can offer. What would cc post anyway. what effect is that. what is to hide?

I would not know that. Only here to help the person out. THe more they learn the more they be happy to cruise ship or ships can offer. What would cc post anyway. what effect is that. what is to hide?

Totally agree with you, but CC has their quirky quidelines. I innocentally posted something months back about a cruise for people with MS. Also thinking like you that people would want to know . Well CC deleted my post and sent me an email basically scolding me for doing so. You would think CC would have better things to do.

• 2 weeks later...
Totally agree with you, but CC has their quirky quidelines. I innocentally posted something months back about a cruise for people with MS. Also thinking like you that people would want to know . Well CC deleted my post and sent me an email basically scolding me for doing so. You would think CC would have better things to do.

Cruise Critic has that rule to make sure no travel agents or tour guides advertise things they offer to their clients on the message board.

Being deaf and using a Cochlear Implant, and even more so being Hard of Hearing and buying hearing aids, is a very expensive situation but a member of my HLAA groups said to me “I would mortgage my home to hear better”. I cringed when she said it and I disagreed at the time but have come to realize that she is right. I only have one life and I don’t want to miss the information, laughter and love if I can’t hear.

HLAA is a firm believer in Assistive Listening Devices and telecoils on hearing aids (and in Cochlear Implants for that matter but that’s a different story). One of my ALD’s is an FM system. I held the microphone of my FM up in the air, under a speaker, in the theater and I could hear some of the comedy games and routines. Certain cruise lines have better speaker equipment so it doesn’t work as well on some cruise lines but my last trip on Carnival’s Legend it did work. It was a pain (not literally) holding the microphone up in the air but it enabled me hear a few comments and it give me a few laughs and for that I am grateful.

Realize this FM system won’t help you and it’s none of my business and no reply required but maybe it’s time for a Cochlear Implant?

Hi FAD

I have a cochlear implant which I absolutely love but I still can't hear all the jokes and song lyrics on a cruise. However, for me it is much better than hearing aids and when I use it with the ship's assistive listening system I get almost 100%.

I'm also a big fan of HLAA Hearing Loss Association of American and have been a member for over 20 years. We have to keep bugging the cruise lines to make their ships hearing accessible as well as wheelchair accessible.

Archived