Royal gives Park West the boot

I just saw this on Facebook and didn't see it discussed here. Major props to Royal Caribbean for making this move, the cruise lines' association with this particular company was indefensible.

Link to Adam Goldstein's press release: http://www.nationofwhynot.com/blog/?p=1257

Quick note #2 – our contract with Park West Art Services has expired and we have decided not to renew it. There is a wind down period in effect and the art auctioneers will finish on different ships at different times over the next few months. We are evaluating what if any art-related programming we may offer in the fleet in the future beyond Oasis of the Seas where Art Actually is our provider of art tours and art for purchase onboard.

I was about to say - who needs art auctions at sea anyway, but then I realized some might, as otherwise they wouldn´t make money with it.

Anyway I don´t care one way or the other. I never went to one of the art auctions, but was sometimes slightly annoyed when they were held in a prime location, so I clearly won´t miss them, but don´t have a problem with those who wish them back.

Personally I think it is long overdue...........but I too didn't mind walking around them..........

Now we can speculate on the next new revenue source:p

Personally I think it is long overdue...........but I too didn't mind walking around them..........

Now we can speculate on the next new revenue source:p

I agree, it will be interesting to see what new 'retail opportunities' become available.

Oh-No...how will I add to my collection of "FREE" collectors limited edition prints...:eek::D....actually I do have a couple of the free prints they gave away that I like & framed them...

I really don't care either way but that said I have to say that some of you are making me laugh.....

Who cares what they did at the auction? Did somebody come to your cabin and dragged you out by your hair and made you sit there? to participate? to do anything?

I think that bingo is a rip off, so do I complain about it? NO!!!, I just simply stay away.

I think some other activities on board are a joke. What do I do? I simply stay away.

I think the spa services is one of the biggest rip offs. What do I do? I never go to the spa. I could get a much nicer treatment on land for much le$$.

RC made a business decision and that's fine, but do you really care if PW is there or not? WHY??? (and before you reply, please read my entire post).

Honestly, it's no big loss. Park West seemed to focus on Peter Max, Picasso, Dali and Kincaid and I have no interest in any of them. Plus, their business reputation was sketchy. :eek:

I really don't care either way but that said I have to say that some of you are making me laugh.....

Who cares what they did at the auction? Did somebody come to your cabin and dragged you out by your hair and made you sit there? to participate? to do anything?

I think that bingo is a rip off, so do I complain about it? NO!!!, I just simply stay away.

I think some other activities on board are a joke. What do I do? I simply stay away.

I think the spa services is one of the biggest rip offs. What do I do? I never go to the spa. I could get a much nicer treatment on land for much le$$.

RC made a business decision and that's fine, but do you really care if PW is there or not? WHY??? (and before you reply, please read my entire post).

I agree. It amazes me that so many people like to stick their noses in other people's business. I have a few paintings from Park West that I just love. I did look on the Internet and did not find the exact same ones for less than I paid. I wonder how Art Actually is different than Park West. You can be sure RCI will be replacing Park West with another money making venture. Oh, and I will pay $120 for a massage on board because I'm on vacation and want a massage dammit. I don't care a whit that the same service costs $40 at home. I also pay for ridiculously overpriced drinks and shore excursions. It's my money so why do people care?

Most, if not all, of the other activities you mention are either in an area dedicated to that activity, or in an area that would otherwise be unoccupied during that time. The Art Auction is taking up prime real estate and preventing me from using it during that time.

With more people returning once they get hooked on cruise ships, the cruise lines, have to find different ways, to stay fresh with their offerings. As far as price is concerned, everything, like the spa, art, bingo, etc is overpriced! Yet we still go.....

The Art Auction is taking up prime real estate and preventing me from using it during that time.

really? you can't find another (prime real estate) spot for 2 hours on a 1000 foot long ship with 12-14 decks? Can we consider the rip off spa area a prime real estate spot if it wasn't a spa. Few thousand Sq. Ft. in the aft area of the ship with beautiful views? and it's there 24/7....

and ultimately, you really believe RC is going to give up revenue by not substituting PW?

Most, if not all, of the other activities you mention are either in an area dedicated to that activity, or in an area that would otherwise be unoccupied during that time. The Art Auction is taking up prime real estate and preventing me from using it during that time.

Thank you for putting into words what I was trying to say. I hated having to circumvent the centrum or being denied a quiet corner of a lounge because of the faux art displays and the noise of the auctioneer.

As a matter of fact, on several occasions I have witnessed passengers being forcefully dragged to the art auctions.

Of course, I suppose, cabin mates and spouses would probably not meet your interpretation of "somebody".:D

Are some of you really that naive?

You actually believe RC made this decision only so passengers will get the centrum solely for their own use?

It's a business decision. Somebody offered them a better deal for the use of that space. Who knows what it will be, but trust me, there will be something sold there. Another art gallery, a tupperware party, a fashion show, who knows? but you can bank on this, it won't be quiet.

I think that the writing was on the wall when the decision not to provide Park West with a presence on Oasis and the recent judicial ruling that was extremely critical of PW's business practices simply made their decision even easier. I am sure that they will find another revenue source to replace Park West and only hope it is a company with less questionable business practices. :) I suspect that other cruiseline clients of Park West will follow suit. In the meantime I don't envy the art auctioneers on RCI ships if they are asked to explain or defend their company's practices.

Wow...this is great news. If there is one think that annoyed me the most on my last cruise was these awful art auctions. I don't do on a cruise to buy art nor do I wish to see if scattered conveniently throughout the lobby for my viewing pleasure...please..give me a break. I suppose the whole thing just out of control and Goldstein finally realized that it just wasn't worth the hassle with Parkwest; however, I fear RCCL will do like Princess and take the art auction in house as a separate fully in own company so they have more control over what is sold and how it is handled plus they get a larger % of the profits. I suppose they won't announce anything until Parkwest is off their ships. Big loss for Parkwest...gain for RCCL.

It's a business decision. Somebody offered them a better deal for the use of that space. Who knows what it will be, but trust me, there will be something sold there. Another art gallery, a tupperware party, a fashion show, who knows? but you can bank on this, it won't be quiet.

Alternatively, they decided that Park West's reputation had become so damaged, and the returns from auctions low enough, that it was no longer worth it to Royal in terms of reputation and revenue to associate with them. Maybe they'll find a substitute art auctioneer without the same ethical problems, but if it were solely about money, they would have had someone else lined up before dumping Park West.

I won't bank on Tupperware Parties in the Centrum any time soon, sorry. :)

Archived