Diabetic type foods/meals NCL Pearl

I did not option a "special meal plan" on Norwegian Pearl when I scheduled our Alaskan cruise sailing 6/10/10. Being a nurse and diabetic, I know what type of foods to eat and those to avoid. My diabetes is well controlled. However, I am wondering about this decision. It's been years since we last cruised. What have other diabetics opted to do?

I did not option a "special meal plan" on Norwegian Pearl when I scheduled our Alaskan cruise sailing 6/10/10. Being a nurse and diabetic, I know what type of foods to eat and those to avoid. My diabetes is well controlled. However, I am wondering about this decision. It's been years since we last cruised. What have other diabetics opted to do?

My opinion is you could not have picked a better ships for diabetic meals. Their buffet (which is the best buffet at seas if you ask me) had some of the best sugar free and no sugar added desserts I have ever had. One of the desserts I picked up and had some very simple question about it which I asked the girl behind the little counter thingie.. She said "Oh.. just a minute, let me check". and came back with the actual chef that had prepared it. The best sugar free dessert I believe I have ever had in my life was actually on the Dawn this past Nov. It was sugar free panna cotta and let me tell you.. LOL.. I could have eaten my weight in it. (and trust me that would have been a lot of panna cotta).

Also if you are careful and know what to select, you can find very Weight Watcher friendly meals, which work well with my diabetis. I really feel that you will be totally ok and get lots of good food.

We were on the Pearl last year. We saw a waiter talking with a guest because her mother was diabetic. We noticed they tried to give as many choices that were sugar-free/diabetic friendly for the diabetic guest. If they didn't know if something on the menu was low in sugar, they would go ask. We saw this family several times in the dining room and each time we noticed the waiters paid special attention to providing the guest with the best options for her. It was great to see that they took such care of the guest's special needs in the dining room.

Hello.

I wholeheartedly agree with Terry. You'll have an easy time on the Pearl and that buffet is the best.

NCL does a wonderful job of helping people with special needs. If you should find that you change your mind while on the ship and request assistance, they will be more than willing and able to help.

We took my mother on the Dawn last fall (her first cruise with NCL) and she didn't request a special diet. She did very well picking out food to fit her needs. She's a retired nurse, certified diabetes educator, and has had diabetes for 40 years, but if she had had a question while on board, I'm sure the staff would have been happy to help her.

She is getting ready to go on her second NCL trip next month (Dawn to Bermuda). :cool: This time she's also opted not to request a special diet.

Absolutely nothing wrong with requesting a special diet. Or ordering one and changing your mind while on the ship once you find out what is available and comfort level rises. Whatever makes you happy, healthy, and as stress-free as possible so you'll have more energy for the great things of your vacation - relaxing and having fun! :cool:

Good luck to you and I wish you a wonderful trip.

Thank you all so much!!!!!! I appreciate the fact that NCL has made a special effort for those of us with special food needs like being diabetic. Terry, I will definitely look for the Panna Cotta sugar free dessert!

Archived