Tours in Paris

ActiveTraveler

While looking at a map, I saw Paris is not very close to the shore. Do you know if tours of the city are offered that allow some on-your-own time mid-cruise or do I have to go to Paris before the cruise and embark at the nearest port to spend a full day there? Also I wondered how much time would be spent traveling from the port to Paris and back if I'm able to do guided and private tours there.

Ship tours take up a lot of time going back and forth to Paris. You can do it on your own as well but if you have a day or two pre or post you will enjoy Paris so much better. It is a great city to walk in at night. Is private in the early morning and alive in the daytime. To whirlwind Paris is grudgingly accepted by those of us here who love the city, but to experience her well . . . Think of it this way Paris is a life long affair not a one night stand

While looking at a map, I saw Paris is not very close to the shore. Do you know if tours of the city are offered that allow some on-your-own time mid-cruise or do I have to go to Paris before the cruise and embark at the nearest port to spend a full day there? Also I wondered how much time would be spent traveling from the port to Paris and back if I'm able to do guided and private tours there.

For Andrea, my Ohio neighbor, I agree 100% with moyaroo. The logistics getting from the coast/cruise to Paris and back in just one day can be challenging and time-consuming. If you haven't been to Paris previously, a little taste/sample is better than none at all. Ideally, it would be best to have more time for Paris via a pre- or post-cruise period of several days there. Then, there is the question of what and how do you want to “ENJOY" and "EXPERIENCE" things in Paris? Rush-rush and gulp it down like soda pop or beer . . . OR . . . sip and savor the moment like fine wine, doing people watching, sensing an enjoyment of life and the humanity, the architecture, history and charm? It's your choice!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

That does it; I am going to start or end my cruise in France. I absolutely hate hurrying - and in the morning, I physically and mentally can't go fast. That said, which port city is the closest to Paris?

Those nearby port options might be Dover or Southhampton England; Amsterdam or Rotterdam. None of these are ideally "close" to Paris, but you could make things work.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We are spending 6 nights pre-cruise this fall before our TA from Dover. We found many different and easy ways to get from Paris to Dover dependent on how you want to travel. You can take the ferry from Calais to Dover which is a little more time consuming but adventurous or the Eurostar to Ashford and then get a cab or driver to Dover which we are planning to do. There is also bus service available as well.

Mscallieco

Archived