Conquest, Galveston & Alcohol...

Don't know if anyone has posted about this yet- I've been trying to catch up at work...

We are just back from Conquest and they are definitely stopping the smuggling of alcohol. The little we took was confiscated, and every person we talked to that tried had the same result. DH talked to our steward and he said as of 3 weeks ago, it's next to impossible to get anything outside of your allowed wine and/or champagne aboard.

When they delivered it back to us the last night, we looked at the cart they were taking around... you could have filled a liquor store with what was on that thing, and that was just for our little part of the floor. There were definitely some rum runners included in the mix, not as much as regular bottles, but they were there.

Also, once they found our bottles, they also searched an open shampoo bottle and soap dispenser I had in zip-loc bags, I'm assuming to see if they were filled with alcohol.

Just a heads up for anyone heading out soon. Don't know about other ships or ports, just Conquest and Galveston.

I'm hoping to do a review soon. In a nutshell, it was our best cruise yet, our aft wrap was noisy but worth it a thousand times over, the food was incredible, and Jamaica was our favorite stop this time around.

We were on the same cruise and brought a bottle of champagne each in our checked luggage and they both got through just fine. Simply rolled the bottles up in a pair of jeans. Also brought some chambord in a plastic bottle in a ziploc bag with no problems. We were fully expecting them to be confiscated. Got lucky I guess:o Also had our allotted champagne in our carry ons. Hope you had a great cruise regardless.:)

Wow, you were lucky. We had 3 small bottles of vodka and a bottle of Malibu Rum, in 3 different suitcases, and they were all taken. Didn't hurt my feelings, we'd done it every other time with no problems... just wanted people to know it was getting tough.

We left a bottle of vodka and the rum for our steward the last day. He acted like he'd hit the jackpot. :D

Wow, you were lucky. We had 3 small bottles of vodka and a bottle of Malibu Rum, in 3 different suitcases, and they were all taken. Didn't hurt my feelings, we'd done it every other time with no problems... just wanted people to know it was getting tough.

We left a bottle of vodka and the rum for our steward the last day. He acted like he'd hit the jackpot. :D

By small bottles what size are you talking?

Why would you say your aft balcony was noisy? What room were you in?

8448. I wouldn't have traded it for the world, but it was noisy. Noise from the Lido deck chairs at night, noise from the ship itself, noise from the staff stairs which are right next door. We even had a problem with the hallway sound system coming in through our overhead speakers all day and all night. They would turn it off, then it would mysteriously come back on again. It wasn't loud, but trying to nap or read it was kind of distracting.

Again, it wouldn't stop us from getting that room again, but to a really light sleeper, it might be a problem.

We just sailed Conquest on 5/2/10. We had Rum Runners in every suitcase all made it through except one which was in a suitcase with a bottle of Crown that was also confiscated. I am guessing they only found it when they were looking for the Crown. We also filled a Rum Runner at two ports and it made it through xray in our backpack no problem. I did hear of alot of bottles being confiscated on our cruise. They are definetely cracking down.

Did any off you take on mixers. I am thinking about taking some cranberry juice to use with the vodka I'm buying from BV. I am using rumrunners for the rum. Just windering if I can carry it on> I assume that would be better??

We got to port at 1:00 pm (Prime Time I know) with our smuggled alcohol and power strip, on ship by 2:15pm, bags showed up around 5:00 pm at our cabin. One bag didn't make it but that was because the luggage tag (i did laminate them) got ripped off, we had to go down to guest services to pick it up around 9:00 pm.

We split our three large rum runners into three different suit cases and then I placed them in a plastic freezer zip loc bags with other liquid things such as Downy Wrinkle Release spray, Aloe gel, Hair Spritzer/Gels, Nail polish remover etc.... and then stuffed them vertically in the suitcase along the side.

not so true on the cracking down... friends stuff from this past week made it through.....

It may just come down to who is in charge of checking the bags and how much effort they want to put into it...

• 2 months later...

We were on the Ecstasy earlier this month. We put all our liquor in water bottles, put them in a cooler with some Dr.P, and carried it all on.

Security did stop us -- but because our cooler was too big. We had just booked that morning and forgot all about the 12x12x12 rule. So they handed us trash bags to put all our drinks in and we tossed the cooler ($9 walmart special).

They never even questioned what was in the water bottles.

Archived